West coast sand monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knorvarkie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Good day all

Just some feedback on my New years weekend ride; this is my first ride report so please be gentle ;)

Day 1
Somerset West to Nama bike camp (via Citrusdal and Clanwilliam back roads)

Day 2
Nama bike camp-Koekenaab-Namaqua national park-Hondeklipbaai-Nama bike camp

Day 3
Inverted trip of day 1

Day for day details:

Day 1 and 3, was nice and scenic hard pack roads. Easy riding, flowing bends and the weather was great. I did not want to take the N7 and tried to work in as much dirt as possible. I reccie'd a bit for future wild camping spots.

Day 2 was a beast!!

Getting out of bed much later than I wanted-mostly due to Wayne at Nama Bike camp having a proper new year party and I myself, could not keep myself from it. The locals are such good people, and making memories for the last time in 2021 was not difficult. It was a proper send of O0

Anyway, so I left camp at 8:15. Late if you think I have 520 odd km ahead of me, majority being West coast sand roads. I Fueled up in Lutzville, my maintank(18liter) and a Desertfox fuel cell(6liter). My next fueling spot is Garies.

As soon as I got onto the first tweespoor, I realised what a mammoth task is ahead of me. Doing this solo, unsupported, with a big bike and not to a strong body(after the previous night's festivities) I knew I had to keep my head. "Focus and push through boeta". The scenery and pure enjoyment kept my from turning around. It was pure adventure riding bliss.

10km in, just as I started to find my rhythm, I got a front flat tyre. It was strange as I had not yet aired down, so still on 2.2 bar and it was a pinch. Either way, I put on some Theuns Jordaan music, took out my Nomad tyre matjie, and started the ritual we got so costumed to on the Honda Quest a couple months ago. 25mins later and off I go. I carried on this tweespoor to Namaqua national park, long and continuous sand roads.

Being thick and soft sand, and I not one of the greatest sand riders out there. I knew there will be some tumbles. And there was 1, only 1. And there was no sand involved :imaposer: I just got out a rather deep sand section, taking a breather and looking up at my surroundings, when the corner jumped in front of me, and I had no other choice than to hit the eject button. Flat on my back in the sand, having a laugh, and looking up at the clouds, I realized how blessed we are to be able to enjoy moments like these, in places such as these. I realized we must not take life too serious, seek the enjoyment in everything, and see the beauty in all around us. I got up, took some pictures, inspected myself and the bike, and quick-quick I'm on the way again.

And so I meandered my way to Hondeklipbaai, arrived there 15:30. Ate a late lunch and headed on the N7 back to Nama bike camp. To which I only arrived at 19:30. My body knackered, but my soul and spirit on a adventurous high.

I will add some pictures where I had chance to take them (there was no time to stop and take any in those deep sand sections)

I want to thank Wayne and his team at Nama bike camp. They were great hosts, great party coordinators, great chefs and even greater people. You will see me and a couple mates soon. :thumleft: