Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Has anyone changed from a 1200GS to a 990 and regretted it?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Has anyone changed from a 1200GS to a 990 and regretted it?
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2009, 07:05:29 am »
Now if either of them had a tow rope, the KTM could help him succeed. :pot: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2009, 07:19:44 am »
My 1200 GSA has gone everywhere that my 640 has and I am talking seriously technical and I have the pics and the ride reports to prove it!

I'd like to see a GSA get up dune 2........ :pot:

I love challenges.

During my last trip to Nam I did not have a GSA yet.
So with my next trip to Nam (in the next 18 months)
I will make it a challenge to take my GSA to the top (which had been done)
with a pillion on the back (which had not been done, I think)

Ok?
But then what does it prove? This? Or?

Honestly I think you guys should read GG's post again. Thats the only one that really makes sense as he is the ONLY forum member I know of that owns a GSA and a 640 AND actually rides them everywhere.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2009, 07:21:38 am »
Well I own both, a 2008 GSA and a 2008 KTM 990 Adventure

And here's what I feel, which has been said by a lot of you, from a fun factor, kick in the pants, blast of a ride, you CANT beat the 990, no way  :thumleft:

From a cruising and comfort, wind protected point of view, you CANT beat the GSA  :thumleft:

I road them both this weekend, again, and I still can't let either of them go  :eek7: Damn... so I'll just have to keep them both  :ricky:

This is the ultimate answer. Way to go!
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2009, 07:22:45 am »
Ama, I like your new logo  :thumleft:

Print one and put it on your bike - jy mag want jy KAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:27 am »
Ama, I like your new logo  :thumleft:

Print one and put it on your bike - jy mag want jy KAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you my dear.... ;D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline GEE-SH

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2009, 07:27:57 am »
................... there is nothing that you can do on the 640 that you cannot do on a 990. The only upsides to the 640 is range on the standard fuel tanks and price.

Ughu ughu Bull shit man!! You ment to tell me that the 990 is just as agile as the 640 on the single track rough stuff????

From what I've recently seen on the single dirt track between PE and Uitenhage (part of the Cherrie enduro), the 990 as well as the 1200 are simply not up to really rough tracks, not talking about soft single sand roads. 

I.e. on a +_ 30 degree rutted single track section the ktm 300's and 640s' screamed up, which the 1200 and the 990's not even geting halfway and then opting for the longer alternative route.  Hell even a CFR 230 was way better than the 1200 and the 990.

As you said, only my opinion  ;)

Please READ what I said: it is not about the one being better (agile) it is about can you do it or not. Like the 640 cannot do 200 with a tailwind and downhill, but the 990 can. Give me an example like that. Also, I have never said anything about 300's, 230's etc. - completely different story.

Maybe YOU should read what I wrote - I said the 300's and 640's screamed up.  And I have also given you an example - but if you do not believe me, please be so kind to provide us with some of your own examples or load you 990 on a trailer and come and show me how it is done, maybe a pink slip bet?  >:D :pot:.  F..ck that I'm convinved, where is the local KTM dealer's no. - I'm buying a 990 to do some enduro's !!!!!!!!
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 07:43:41 am »
I would love a GSA for those long trips with a pillion, But nothing beats the 990 fun factor, or even better the 950SE. The HP2 will be on par with a 990. I dont believe the GS will be able to keep up with the 990 or HP2 on real adventure stuff....the 990 will go everywhere and do everything the 640/690 does depending on the rider. I'm sure every guy that was on the 07 and 08 RR will back me up. The GS 800 is the BMW to go for if you intend on playing dirty, but for that amount of money, the KTM cant be beaten if you compare the fun factor in Rands.....

Sure about that one?

Yipp...depending on the rider like I said, surely not me.

KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 07:57:02 am »
I would love a GSA for those long trips with a pillion, But nothing beats the 990 fun factor, or even better the 950SE. The HP2 will be on par with a 990. I dont believe the GS will be able to keep up with the 990 or HP2 on real adventure stuff....the 990 will go everywhere and do everything the 640/690 does depending on the rider. I'm sure every guy that was on the 07 and 08 RR will back me up. The GS 800 is the BMW to go for if you intend on playing dirty, but for that amount of money, the KTM cant be beaten if you compare the fun factor in Rands.....

Sure about that one?

Yipp...depending on the rider like I said, surely not me.

Not me as well, with a good rider a Harley can go where a 200KTMEXC can go?  >:D

That's the problem the moment some people, not all, get their new KTM's they suddenly become riding gods and the bike can defy the laws of physics, weight is weight is weight.  :)

Please go on people, this hand bag fight is quite interesting.  :lamer:

Lekker AMA, soos Plottie se, jy mag maar. :thumleft:

shark_za

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2009, 08:01:41 am »
Shotgun, I doubt it.
Come bring your 990 up the Vee.

I think a 640 will struggle with Darryl Curtis on it, but make it. The 990, eish.

Bottom line, the 990 is 200kg, the 640 around 150.
The same difference between the 640 and my 200 KDX.

shark_za

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:29 am »
BUT in the real world there is never a time when you have to ride up the V on a trip.
So the difference is academic at best.

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2009, 09:02:30 am »
Shark: But then the 200 KDX is much, much easier to handle than the 990. ??? Also, what is the wet wet of a 690 Rally in the Dakar rally? With a 36l tank, I think it must be close to 200kgs anyway. ???

Again, let me try and explain: I am not saying that I want to compare dick sizes here and that I will kick anybody's butt on a 990. I am saying that if I put myself on a 640 or a 990 I will do on the 990 that I will be able to do on the 690. I am also saying that if you put Marc Coma on both, he will be able to do exactly the same on the 990 as the 640.

That's the problem the moment some people, not all, get access to the internet they suddenly become information gods and their new found knowledge can defy the laws of logic..... :pot:
Another very informative post brought to you courtesy of The Gun. Impress your friends - Make it your own!

Offline GEE-SH

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:23 am »

That's the problem the moment some people, not all, get access to the internet they suddenly become information gods and their new found knowledge can defy the laws of logic..... :pot:

Yip erkenning van n ou se eie-arrogansie/stupidity is die eerte stap tot genesing - good luck met die proses  ;) ;D
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2009, 09:16:08 am »
My 1200 GSA has gone everywhere that my 640 has and I am talking seriously technical and I have the pics and the ride reports to prove it!

I'd like to see a GSA get up dune 2........ :pot:

Been done, ....now if only I can find that Bark Sa with the pic....
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2009, 09:36:51 am »

Yip erkenning van n ou se eie-arrogansie/stupidity is die eerte stap tot genesing - good luck met die proses  ;) ;D

Glad I could help.  :thumleft:
Another very informative post brought to you courtesy of The Gun. Impress your friends - Make it your own!

shark_za

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:10 am »
Go ride them both, take rider ability out of it, I can go much more gnarly on a 640 than on a 990.
I wont get as tired too.
Massive difference between a 100kg KDX vs a 200kg 990 with the 640 sort of half way in between. Simple logic and physics.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:25 am »
The best way to begin a comparison article of these two adventure tourers is at the end. But don't look for a "winner"--that would be like picking the better of a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. As we progressed with our testing we realized that these two bikes are so different that straight comparisons of their features and performance are moot--you won't be picking one for its prowess over the other in a number of individual areas, but rather for which best fulfills your needs overall.

Both the BMW R1200GS and KTM 950 Adventure twins have shown them to be extremely competent long-distance machines. Add a pair of optional side cases to the BMW and KTM, perhaps a top trunk, and the only thing you really need to take off on a long journey is a full tank. Both bikes offer sit-up-and-beg comfort, some wind protection and plenty of smooth power with tall six-speed gearing for high-speed highway riding, as well as big gas tanks for long range. In terms of acceleration they're quite evenly matched, too. The KTM is lighter, revs a little higher and makes a little more top-end power; the 27-pound-heavier BMW cranks out a chunk more midrange torque.

Because it is lighter, narrower (without luggage), has more suspension travel and ground clearance, standard (unlinked) triple disc brakes, offroad-sized 21- and 18-inch wheels and chain final drive, we found the Katoom can tackle tougher offroad conditions, and is less fatiguing to ride on dirt and gravel roads for long periods of time. Here is a machine based on the Austrian company's Paris-Dakar race winner, a "streetbike for dirt guys" that really only differs from one of KTM's offroad-only bikes by virtue of its engine size, power and fuel capacity. If you've got the stones, there's very little this big dirt bike can't handle. Its S-model sibling has even more suspension travel and ground clearance.

On the other hand, the KTM's tall, narrow seat, chain final drive, tube-type tires and overall width of its luggage make it a less-accommodating daily driver or commuter. With the bags on I have to kick my foot up onto the 35-inch-high seat from the side and slide just my thigh up onto it, leaving the other foot on the ground to hold us up--the only time both cheeks are on the seat is when underway. The chain and carburetors need regular service in addition to valves (9,000 miles), so if the KTM is to be your only bike, long legs and the patience for regular service will come in handy.

A skilled and willing rider can take the BMW nearly anywhere the KTM can go, but many of the things that make the German machine such a terrific street bike detract from its offroad ability.  The dry clutch complicates tricky offroad maneuvers, and those opposed flat cylinders need lots of added protection offroad and can even hang up between rocks or in narrow, well-worn tracks.

Back on the pavement the BMW shines. Never mind the added comfort of its adjustable, wider, lower, flatter seat, bigger adjustable windscreen and available heated grips--many less subjective things contribute to its superior road manners. That larger, torque-monster engine with EFI and Paralever shaft final drive is smoother, mechanically quieter and requires less maintenance, and though it has less suspension travel the Telelever front fork doesn't dive under braking. The Beemer's lower center of gravity, smaller wheels and more street-oriented tubeless rubber make it handle corners a bit more surely, and those linked brakes with ABS add security. Finally, even in their widest, fully expanded positions, the BMW's side cases are narrower than the KTM's--a big plus in the traffic of Los Angeles or a dense forest--and have about 20 liters more total capacity. They also load from the side rather than the top like the KTM's, which makes them less watertight but easier to stuff larger items into.

In the end, I'd say if you can only have one and your plans include aiming for a lot of dirt roads and tracks in between highways, the KTM is probably the best choice. It's not only fun to ride but capable of nearly anything you throw at it, with the sacrifice of some onroad worthiness. We'll have a test of a 2005 model as soon as possible.

If you're like most riders and dirt roads are primarily a means to an end, the BMW R1200GS offers better road manners and features. And, of course, if your riding plans don't include any offroad riding but you still want the better view from up there, the choice is a lot easier. With it's greater comfort, luggage capacity, shaft final drive and ABS, the BMW R1200GS blurs the line between an all-terrain machine and a touring bike.

Now, want something to really dream about? Imagine owning both....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2009, 10:07:55 am »
Let me try and help with an (hopefully) impartial view after I switched from the 1200GS to the 950... I Think I was the first person on the forum to switch from the 1200 to the 950/990

Lets start out by saying that I personally loved my 1200 being that I had done a lot of riding from JHB to CPT trips to a few rides through the De Wildt river beds... There was only 3 things that made me uncomfortable on the 1200 which were
  • Sump Protection or the lack thereof
  • The flat engine sticking out and getting stuck in technical sections
  • 19 inch front wheel that did not climb rocks very easily, did not like sand with no option of lifting the mud guard to stop the wheel locking in thick mud

These are the reasons that made me start looking at the 950 s.

Lets now not kid ourselves that buying a bike is a pure practical thing and especially not in the litre class of bikes because if it were a practical decision we probably would have bought something totally different and would depend on your requirements... So the day of the test ride on the 950 (I drove all the way to Nelspruit to go and test ride it) and besides the fact that the 950 met  my requirements of sump protection (and clearance), no flat engine and a 21 inch front wheel, I absolutely fell in love with the bike and could no say no....

What are the things I miss about the 1200?
  • Heated grips (when riding in Lesotho at -10 degrees (this can be added to the 950 but I haven't gotten round to that yet
  • Low down torque for slow technical stuff (the 950 needs to be ridden at higher revs to get the torque, whereas the 1200 would churn out torque at very low revs), this has been helped by changing sprockets on the 950 but still not the same
  • Long distance smoothness of the 1200 is something that is noticeable, I have gotten used to the 950 now but after the switch it was definite difference in the 2 bikes

So to answer your question, am I unhappy about changing... Definitely not but there are things and times that I miss about the 1200. Which one is better for you...

That would depend on what floats your boat.

And as for the which one is better question, I don't think there are many people on the forum that reach the limits of the bikes that they are riding and 9 times out of 10 the rider is the limiting factor and not the bike...

Just my 2,000,000,000,000 Zim Dollars  :deal:
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline KtmMick

• Pack Dog
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 10:22:38 am »
The last two posts..............BRILLIANT, well written guys.

Offline Shotgun

• Pack Dog
  • Chk Chk Boom!
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:59 am »
The last two posts..............BRILLIANT, well written guys.

Echo that! :thumleft:

Offline Frog

« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
Chicco, Wow, thanks for the time taken to write such a compehensive review. This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)