Dullstrom day trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Sunday morning on the 25th of January, Frog, Yefimovich, GundaGunda and myself met up at the Shell garage in Atterbury Road to continue a trip that Frog, Roux and myself did in December last year but that was cut short by rain. The plan was to ride tar to Verena where we turned back last time and then continue to Dullstroom via dirt. We hadn't even finished our tar portion of the trip before GundaGunda got into trouble with the law. A nonstandard number plate was his undoing.

Just after that we hit our first dirt where a bit of tyre deflation was done

Then a bit of speeding along the dirt highway followed by a bit of getting fooled by the GPS. The GPS said there was a road but it just disappeared (no pictures of that fortunately). After getting back on the real road it was time for our first GundaChinos.

Yefimovich admiring the bike that just won't die!

A bit of wildlife made life interesting, Frog trying to go through the cow

while GundaGunda tried to stare it down. It actually worked and the cow wandered off.

Looking downwards into what I think is Thabakhubdedu just before Loskop.

Soon after this Yefimovich had to leave us due another commitment.

The last 20km or so before Dullstroom were fun with the roads being a bit more rocky and some very nice scenery.

We then had an early lunch at the Duck and Trout in Dullstroom while keeping a wary eye on the dark clouds and lightning to the east of us.

After lunch we decided to stay ahead of the storm by taking some tar. At Belfast we ran into some GPS confusion again but it actually turned out really well. We ended up on some roads we wouldn't have done otherwise and ended up doing some really nice riding. A couple of photos -

The it was time for another stop for some more GundaChino's and our (small) group photo

From there it was it was about another 20km or so of dirt before the long and boring tar ride home. The only excitement left was dodging the hundreds of potholes on the R104 east of Middleburg.

All in all, a nice day riding again with fantastic riding partners with the added bonus of some real nice scenery thrown in.