Vaal River Trip - Sat. 24 Jan. '09

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertrand

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Ride Report (the short version that will be added to over the next few days)

Before I get into the details: Thanks to everyone who joined the ride. I really enjoyed this one.

We met as planned at 10:00 at the Sasol garage in Parys. Some guys already came through on Friday. Others like me and Shaun took the highway to Parys on Saturday morning. ThinkMike and a few fellow riders took the dirt option from the Westrand side to Parys.

We started just after ten and followed the planned route across the Vaal to the North West Province side. Everyone settled in nicely on the dirt roads and we enjoyed a perfect ride on easy dirt roads past Thabela Thabeng to Venterskroon. After a quick stop and with Rietrot also catching up with his 990 we set of for the strecth to Kromdraai where we stopped for a leg stretch before crossing the Vaal back to the Freestate Province.

The bikes were a very nice mix that included 1200GS', F800, DR650, KTM 990, KTM 690, X-Challenge and KLR's. There were also two pillions who came along for this scenic route.

On the dirt roads back to Parys we encountered some mud pools that made for nice, but easy water crossings. We were back in Parys for a late lunch. I enjoyed meeting some new people and was impressed with Jenks' riding on his first outride. Rietrot and me stuck together for the ride back to the east of JHB and even with the rain threatening we managed to get home dry.

OK guys, please add pics and comments! (I will also add my pictures).