Balelesberg - Mini ride report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sef156

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Okay, this is not a real ride report, but just a little trip I did on my way back home after attending a meeting in Utrecht today.

My KLR is my only transport for the moment while my car is being panelbeated (they should've been finishied a month ago already  :xxbah:). So rain or shine, I had to go to this meeting and left home in a light drizzle with my rainsuit on.

For those who don't know, the little town of Utrecht is actually within a game park. An alternative route from Utrecht to Vryheid is the road over the Balele Mountain through the Balele Bewaria which later joins the Vryheid - Paulpieterburg tar road.

Since I had my camera handy and was already dressed for rain I thought I'd give it a go. My formalities for the day was done and getting a little mud on my boots wasn't an issue anymore  :mwink:

In Utrecht I already saw some superbikes taking a break on their way to the Stag Rally, which I'll also be going to tomorrow  :ricky:.

Here's the road that leads out of town and over the mountain
SDC10122.jpg

This is about halfway up the pass if you could call it that.
SDC10130.jpg

The signboard explaining that you're entering a game reserve
SDC10126.jpg

Here's my bike at the viewpoint op top
SDC10128.jpg

This is the view back with Utrecht in the distance
SDC10131.jpg

At this point I realised that I was gonna get some fog along the way.  It became quite thick at some stage and I could hardly see for about 20m in front of me.
BTW, it's Bewaria (afrikaans) and not Bavaria for you GS nuts  ;D  Although it is so green it could easily have been mistaken for the Bavarian countryside!!
SDC10138.jpg

Some junction along the way...I was heading for Vryheid
SDC10140.jpg

Then suddenly a bit of mud appeared.  I fitted a set of Maxxis M6006's that I got from Runner a while ago. I was totally amazed at how well the handled the mud compared to all my previous 70/30 tyres.
SDC10142.jpg

And sum more mud. If I still had my Kenda K761's on the bike this would have been very, very, very tricky. Knoblies was the best farkle I've done in a long time!!!
SDC10143.jpg

The little outing took a bit longer than I expected due to my low average speed on the slippery surfaces, but was well worth the effort. It's even slightly closer than the tarred R34 from Utrecht to Vryheid.  That's it, another hard day at work for me  ;D

Maybe I'll do this in reverse tomorrow on my way to the rally in Newcastle...