Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Zealand...Fire 'n Ice'05 part11  (Read 930 times)

glitch_oz

New Zealand...Fire 'n Ice'05 part11
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:37:12 am »
Previous part 10:
http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35040#35040

Out of Hanmer, across the Waiau River;clouds still low, it's through Culverden to Waipara and Amberley on the coast, just 40km short of Christchurch. We find a local Suzuki dealer who, for a little "donation", allows us the unlimited use of the steam-washer and we go wild on the bikes :).
\

They have to be CLEAN for the Australian Quarantine Inspection upon arrival in Melbourne.
Some lunch

and a fairly clean run through Christchurch to find our way to Lyttelton and we're back to where it all started, the Tunnelvision Backpackers.

Jimbo'd sent a message recommending the Roach 'n at pub opposite for a memorable Burger and a cold Guiness, of course we had to try that, aye?

Through the tunnel the next morning and into the shipping depot for the packing up,

the booked People Mover appeared somewhere in between , perfect timing to throw our stuff into the back for the next 2 days of cage-sight-seeing around Christchurch. Up the Summit Rd. first

and the backways to Akaroa,

the old French settlement.

Bungee-jumpers EVERWHERE...even in Akaroa  ;D

Slipping out the back of Akaroa on a small single-laner proved worthwhile, a magnificent marae (Maori meeting-house) with exquisite carvings well worthwhile the short trip.

While still close, we slipped through the tunnel to Lyttelton again to have a look at Timeball Station:
A castle-style building...sadly right in the middle of a makeover so we couldn't have a look inside.
The guide was still there and told us about this weird contraption which was used by the old seafarers to re-set their GMT- timing to local timing.

The ball-shaped top of the tower was raised 10 meters and dropped at exactly 1pm local time every day, captain could set their timing then?
It also acted as a navigational message relay station?
Ingenious stuff!!
Taking the back-roads proved a good move, the scenery spectacular, a myriad of hidden coves and tiny, deserted beaches feast for the eyes.
Some steep single-lane dirt-roads added to things as well, no way we would've done that with a loaded-up road-bike.

Some great roads up there...another one for the next NZ-trip :)

Black skies and drizzle started our last day, which didn't really matter, it was off to the Antarctic Center?

Good stuff here, lots to see and learn?. best of all was the WILD ride in the Hagglund, what a hoot :))

Clouds had lifted a bit on the way to Sumner

and Taylors Mistake; some seaside suburbs of Christchurch, some of it precariously glued to the cliffs,
The chocolate-shop was a welcome surprise,

a walk through the Christchurch Gardens closed the day.

Next morning's early car drop-off went smooth, Virgin Pacific didn't goof this time around but still took the long way via Sydney Well, there it is: 5 weeks NZ, with 4.5 weeks out of that on the road.
What a trip it's been?.  [grin]...and YES, we WILL BE BACK !!
A HUGE THANKS to all who came along, helped everywhere and made it an INCREDIBLE experience?
 :) :) :) :)

Next:

Shorts, info
http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2753

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 09:09:07 am »
Thanks thats HUGE
5 Weeks what a blizz

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

shark_za

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:14:35 am »
Wow, awesome trip.

You can see why they filmed Lord of the rings down there, impressive "big" scenery.
More dirt next time!   leave the road bikes at home ;)

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:34:17 pm »
That was just too mucking fudge! Now how the hell am I gonna get back to doing some work with all that in my head?

Thanks glitch_oz 8)  8)  8)  8)
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

glitch_oz

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:38:42 pm »
Glad you enjoyed ... :)  :)
Thanks for the kind words, too. It certainly was a great ride, fantastic holiday and a trip that'll stay with all, who were there, forever.

Just out of curiousity: Would it be better to not post tar-rides ?
Being a newbie here, I'm not familiar with the "ground-rules" sorta thing...

glitch_oz

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:45:44 pm »
Quote from: "droffarc"
That was just too mucking fudge! Now how the hell am I gonna get back to doing some work with all that in my head?

Thanks glitch_oz 8)  8)  8)  8)

It gets that way sometimes, eh?   :lol:
Just reding a thread of a guy who bought a Buell Ulysses over the phone and rode it back home over 10 days through the length of the US, Arizona-Washington DC (or thereabouts). Huge thread, gobsmacking pics....stuff work, stuff dinner, stuff everything else. Coffee turned cold, too....and that means something in my place.  :lol:

Just in case...it's mostly a road (tar) trip  :wink:
http://www.austouring.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

shark_za

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »
While we are not really a general touring bike bunch but we are all bikers and love seeing things like the trips you have posted.

Our main focus will stay dual purpose bikes and rides, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the odd roadbike report. Dual purpose means both ends of the spectrum. If you take a roadbike and have a nice route to share, we welcome the sharing as it might inspire someone to get out there and do something similar.
The forum caters for all walks and levels of adventure riders, even those the dont venture from the surfaced roads.

I'm just a dirt lover, but saying that...
my next report is probably going to be from the saddle of a Harley or one of the Vespa club runs.

Watch this space ;)