Alpine Rally (Australia)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

got the link from Leon H and Glitch_oz from Austouring. (which I help run)
I thought I would post some of my reports and have a good look at yours :)

A few of us decided to hit the 2006 Alpine Rally which is held on the Snowy Mountains Hwy at Yarrangobilly in NSW on the Queens Bday Weekend

Day 1

Moike (R100RS ?Superbike?) Stuart T (R1150GSA) and I (1 k Strom) headed off from Diamond Creek on the Friday moring. Headed up via Kinglake, Yea, Whitfield and Myrtleford for lunch. Then up via Redbank Road, the amazing Lockheart Gap then onto the even more amazing Granya Gap (3rd time lucky to get it dry!!). Then came the full speed ahead run along the Murray River Road into Tintaldra to say at the famous Tintaldra Hotel for the night.

(Claude's Matchless rat bike out the front of the Tintaldra pub)
IMG_1748.jpg

(Inside the pub)
IMG_1754.jpg

Day 2

A cold and foggy day welcomed us to the new morning and after a wonderful hot breakfast at the pub and a chain tightening on the Strom we headed off

(The Accom for the first Night)
IMG_1750.jpg

(The awaiting fog)
IMG_1755.jpg

(Stu Catching up with one of the other rally goers)
IMG_1757.jpg

It was desided to give the Eliott Way ago, usually covered in snow in winter only a speckle of snow was found

(Moike rounding a bend)
Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

A short stop at the Tumut 2 power station for the mandatory echo blast down the access tunnel (video to come) and the great climb up the hill towards Kiandra.

(Tumut 2 PS)
IMG_1758.jpg

What was to be a short stop at Yarrangobilly Cave for a quick coffee turn into a full tour of the caves, which was well worth it

(a quick cup of Joe)
IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

(inside the caves)
IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

When we got out from the cave the rain had started, great?. I had left my jacket on top of the bike and my helmet sitting on the mirror with the visor open.

Off to the rally site we go?? to be continued