L’Agulhas trippie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
During the December holidays, Ridealot joined me for a little jolly to L’Agulhas on 22 December 2009. He started from home (Durbanville) and took the scenic route around the coast via Rooiels, Betty’s Bay, Kleinmond until he got to my campsite at Onrus (Hermanus). As he approached, the clouds started to roll in.

001clouds.jpg

We left Onrus and proceeded up the “Hemel-en-Aarde” (Heaven&Earth) valley road and eventually turned east towards Stanford all on a nice gravel road. It was pretty windy and the clouds were coming fast.

002bridge.jpg

It was the first trip that I tried to get some video on my new helmetcam. (At least the wife will then believe me that we did in fact go past the first bar).The angle of the camera was a little to low and mostly captured my screen and front wheel.

003helmetcam.jpg

At Stanford we fuelled and left for Elim also along a gravel road. As soon as we hit the gravel, the rain started to bucket down (weird for the middle of summer in the Cape). The road was fairly good and we reached Elim (little old mission town) without problems.

After Elim we had a little tar section and then hit a gravel stretch towards Struisbaai. This road runs through a wetland, and the road was made of clay. With the wind and rain sweeping at 90 degrees to the road direction, this was quite an experience. We caught up with a 4x4 snaking along, trying to stay on the road. We were going at 20-40 ks , but eventually got to Struisbaai without problems. A good shower (and a few drinks, tea, coffee and beer) and we were laughing about the experience.

004dirtybikes.jpg

005struisbaaibeach.jpg

The next morning we took a spin from Struisbaai to the L’Agulhas and to the Tip of Africa.

006agulhas.jpg

007Lighthouse.jpg

Southern tip of Africa !!

008southpoint.jpg

After a taking a few pics, we returned along the same mudpatch towards Elim. This time the mud started to dry and it was a doddle.

009elim.jpg

From Elim we turned South this time and hugged the coast via Pearly Beach, Gansbaai, Hermanus back to Onrus.
010trees.jpg

011flowers.jpg

012southcoast.jpg

013roadsigns.jpg

Thanks to Ridealot for the company and a nice two days of fun.   :ricky:

So what if the report is a few months late !!!   ;D