Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: D/S motorcycling: What Do You Enjoy the Most?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
D/S motorcycling: What Do You Enjoy the Most?
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:02:04 am »
What Do You Enjoy the Most?

As quite a lot of postings are done about non-biking events, like the misadventures of has been rugby stars, or the status of being a forum whore, I would like to get a thread going about what we actually like doing in the first place.

Perhaps now it’s time to zero in on the aspects of dual sport motorcycling that gives you the most pleasure.  This is obviously
very personal and answers will vary, but I for one will be very interested to here what the other dawgs viewpoints are.

The questions below are intended to start your thinking, but there may be other considerations that are even more important.

· If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
· What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
· Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
· Do you like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
· Would you be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
· Do you enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
· Do you like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
· Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?

What excites you the most? Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Re: D/S motorcycling: What Do You Enjoy the Most?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:12:56 am »
· If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
It's a KLR - nuff said.
· What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
Riding solo.
· Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
Nada
Nope
Yep.
Don't know - never have done pillion.
Yes.
Yes.

Out of everything - solo riding is the best.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline JohnST

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:40 am »
Nice thread Watty.

I answer point wise:

Got the 990, love the bike, awesome offroad and nice on road (coming from a KLE). Dislikes, the old saying behind every KTM is an ATM, cause it's true when it comes to maintanance, and then shoddy service from dealers.

Most fun for me is tech riding, not de Wildt hard, the KTM is too big for that, then sight seeing, the nicest place ever been to is Lesotho, going again shortly.

Nah, always wanted a GS but after one test ride on the KTM and I was in love.

Loud sound, no. Wheelspinning power, ALOT!

As an extra bike, but would still want my big bike.

Not really like having a pillion, like sharing my trips, if the wife goes with I prefer it to be behind me in the 4x4.

Only the normal stuff like crashbars, steering dampner, etc.

Yip, everybody that has been on a ride with me will know that I got a degree in k@k praat.  :D

Lekker post to get back to our roots!  :thumleft:

Bakkie hater!!

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:34:08 am »
 If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
 - I'm VERy happy with my bike, but would like a 6th gear.

- Riding challenging techical terrain

- not in a million years

- not particularly

- I am!

- would love to ride with the wife, but she's nervous

- Yip

- yip

What excites you the most? Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?
 - coming across amazing scenery, switching off the bike and sitting and appreciating how lucky I am to be able to do this!
 - taking landscape pics
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:11 am »
Like - Its ability to go almost anywhere and carry all my stuff. Dislike - weight.

Reaching destinations.... touring.... meeting people.

I hope so.

Yes

No

Yes very much

Yes

Yes

What excites you the most?
Karoo gravel hiways
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:45:42 am by CAPTAIN SLOW »

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:09 am »
For me the answer is simple...

I can go wherever i want within my own limitations. If i see a dirt road, a track, a river bed or something different, i know my bike can go there and that it is designed to do so  :biggrin:
Sharing this kind of experience with like minded people makes for an even better experience, but sometimes solo is good for the soul.

In my own helmet space, out in the countryside where we do not often get to go, i can breathe, relax and just enjoy life!
In a nutshell, i also feels renewed after a good D/S type ride  :thumleft:

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

shark_za

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:24 am »
I really enjoy my bike for trouble free riding, I get out and see Southern Africa.
I dont mind riding tar to see things (I'm not a dirt biggot at all, I get my fair share of dirt though) but dont mind riding a little rough stuff to see the really out of the way spots.
Challenging terrain is for the offroad bike, DS touring is about doing it in moderation, riding the long loop around if the direct route is too much to the same spot.
But some peoples challenging terrain is relative to their experience.

I enjoy tailoring my bike to suit myself and I think I have a good camping/touring setup now.

Its about seeing the country 1 on 1 and not from inside a cage.

Makes a darn good commuter too. I think commuting lets you work out niggles so they dont happen on a trip.

Offline lecap

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:03 am »
I am currently riding a Suzuki DR650SE.
What do I like and dislike about it?
It's simple and reliable - The seat is a plank.
What is the most fun I can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
Going nowhere slowly. Also a bit of speed and technical riding here and there. Going to remote and not easily accessible places with a small financial / carbon / environmental footprint (compared to a 4x4). The challenge to travel light. Take your credit card and go.
Do I ride something to be admired by my friends and recognized as the best?
No one admires you or recognizes you as the best if you ride a DR650SE. A bike with hidden beauty and hidden qualities.
Do I like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
No. Loud pipes are to impress girls at high school & varsity though they can be fun sometimes :evil6: . My bike has enough power to wheelie and wheelspin but I rarely make use of it.
Would I be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
Absolutely yes. Size does not matter. I found my wife's Djebel 200 a blast.
Do I enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
Never really enjoyed carrying a pillion. The adventure is best shared from the saddle of two bikes.
Do I like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
That's what I do for a living.
Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?
Yes but it's not a must. A few people and the right ones. Don't like huge crowds.
Most exciting: The next ride.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Yefimovich²

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:20 am »
If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
- XT600E (Not Currently Though for it is Broken and it has undoubtedly been the worst 3 weeks of my life!)
Loves:
   I love the fact that my XT gets mistaken for 250's and 125's makes it quite the sleeper     amongst the robot racers.  :pot:
   I personally think its really good looking - although I'm probably totally alone in that regard
   It was reliable
   It makes me smile all the time, even if it is sometimes because of its more comical shortcomings.
   I love the fact that its got some pedigree.
   I feel it's relatively chuckable
   I like the way it delivers its power (what power?) all low down and then it sort of gives up.
   I love the way it sounds

Niggles:
   Its Broken  :'(
   The vibration does get a little tiresome, if i'm honest
   A little more performance would be nice!
   I wont be able to keep it forever  :(

- Wheeelies!!

- The absolute sense of freedom afforded by a motorcycle, every time I get on my Bike it I get that incredible feeling that says, if i wanted to I could be very very far away from here relatively quickly.

- Riding your bike in anger with your heart pounding in your throat, the knowledge that you're really pushing the limits of your own and the bikes capabilities, knowing that the only thing keeping you off the deck is the direct relationship between yourself and the steed under your bum is one of the most uplifting experiences to be had this side of being a fighter pilot!!

- After fording many a stream, climbing a mountain or two and reaching a far-flung destination at the end of a hard day's riding, the accompanying sense of accomplishment is irreplaceable!

- Its an Xt guy!

- :mwink:

- If its got two wheels, ill ride it, provided the motor doesnt fall out (My Vuka Did that)

- Ive always preferred solo riding because inevitably people think me a bit of an anus ( I suffer from severe OCS - Only Child Syndrome), but of late i've been looking for a pillion

- Absolutely, however budgetary constraints have always put paid to my ambitious ideas

- Thats possibly the most amazing thing about motorcycling, no matter where you are if you spot a biker youve most probably found a friend, even if it is just a quick smoke and a war story swap meet!

My bike has defined who I am, we have traveled to places I would otherwise never have seen, shes nearly killed me on occasion and I've inadvertently returned the favour (More Successfully it seems), when im feeling down she makes me smile, she loves being dirty and doesn't mind if I am also,  she forgives my occasional idiocy as I forgive her shortcomings. In short, my motorcycle is my best friend, like a dog but fast! I loves it sooo!!
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:22 am »
I like that my bike can pretty much go anywhere. In my opinion it's the perfect compromise between off-road bike and tourer, and it's a great commuter.
There's not too much i don't like about it. Maybe just the sound.

Touring, seeing new places, learning new skills and crapping my self on technical rides.

Most of my friends haven't a clue what a good motorcycle is, and wouldn't know a DS bike if it shat on them.

never had, so I don't know.

No.

Sometimes. It's nice to share experiences with people, but the sense of freedom /adventure when going solo can't be beat.
Yup.

Absolutely:thumleft:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:12 am »

I own 2 bikes. I LOVE the 200 because it's light, reliable and can take me anywhere. The most fun I've had on a bike was on my 200. The best places I've seen was on my 200. The best friends I've met, I've met while riding my 200. I also have the 700. It was bought specifically for pillion trips with my wife and it does that extremely well. It's comfortable and it just eats up the km's.

Reaching destinations where most other people can't get to. Usually in mountainous forest.

Absolutely no.

Nope. In fact I dislike it immensely. That kind of thing does not belong in the areas where I like to ride.

Yes

Yes. I like sharing experiences and info about areas. I also like to show riders new to my area all the special places.

Yes, but I'm not mechanically inclined. More "Farkles" than "Bling".

Yes. Best way to get to know some-one.

I get really excited about my next ride. Especially when I don't know where I'm going and where I'm going to lay my head that night.

I think this thread is an excellent idea. You'll soon see which riders are compatible / like minded.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
  Good suspension, nice to look at, low weight

Surmounting obstacles and reaching destinations. Not too bothered about speed

I don't care about having the best (it's all relative anyway) but I do appreciate admiration, just like I enjoy admiring others

Yes and no. I like the unbound sound of a thumper but I hate excessive noise. I like good power but I don't use it to damage the environment. I save wheel spins for parking lots and bars

I used to think so until I tried it. My answer is "no"

Yes, very much

Love it

It's one of my favourite things in life
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:22:29 am by LuckyStriker »

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:44 am »
After much thought...
Like:
It is the most fun on wheels I ever had.
Dislike: It is a KLR... there is nothing to dislike! >:(

Getting where no one else can get to watch a sunset/sunrise.
No... just for stress release. :thumleft:
I like my Penta... :deal: wich is very quite at low speed btw... Wheelspinning is for superbikes!
It is a unpretentious bike and I like it that way, no hidden quirks... smaller? Maybe a KLR250 for those tight places! >:D
Yes, very much so although nothing cleans the cobwebs like a solo ride.
I have a KLR! :deal:
Could be fun... not done any yet.
What excites you the most? Getting to places that I never got to before and enjoying the outdoors.
There... now I feel like taking the rest of the day off and going somewhere... :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:53:38 am by RobC »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:05 am »

I'm between two at the moment, but they are so much alike that the answer applies to both

Likes - comfortable, powerfull, agile for its size, capable on gravel as well as tar
Dislikes - heavy

Finding the 'rythm' of me, the road and the bike.
Be it Karoo gravel highways, technical forest trails or sweeping through the corners of Rooi Els as fast as I dare go.
If all is in harmony, I am having fun.

No.
For myself however there is a sense of achievement and personal victory when I've finished something that was a challenge. I like challenging myself. the bike and both our abiliities, but I will never do anything that I'm not comfortable with just to prove a point

Loud mufflers - never have, never will. I like a deep throaty sound though, but it musn't be loud
The power ? Now that's a different story. I love mountains of it...

Not under 600cc. I consider 600cc small. Under that there is too much of a trade off of 'lack of power' vs weight. (All bets are off on the DRZ 400 though - that bike rocks, but for me the 'tourabillity' (especially for my weight) is important and I can't help but feel that keeping a bike like the DRZ400 at highway speeds is doing it no favours. Gearing it better fixes it perfectly, but then (at my weight) it will lose too much at the bottom.
600cc for me is that watershed size.

Oh I love it!
There's nothing like having a partner that you not only enjoy having around, but who is sharing in this not because you want her to, but because she geniunely love sharing the same bike and getting out there.
And nothing beats having someone there and experiencing 1st hand. It's difficult trying to tell someone afterwards about what you saw/felt/smelt/experienced.

1 up two bikes is on the cards, but we'll never stop doing two up tours.

I like stuff that I can do without breaking it further and will actually save me money. But I'm not technically that good.

That is a very big part of what make rides good.
Best group rides I was involved with up to now was the Attakwas ride that TR organized and the karoo trip that a couple of our friends went on.
Attakwas: 13 people, 12 bikes - about 4 or 5 people that I've met previously. What made the ride awesome wasn't only the scenery and the route, but the fact that we all just got along so well that night.

I made a couple of life long friends that night.

Karoo trip was cool as we are a bunch of friends that knew it was going to be great.

It is really cool to be able to share 'all things ds' with people that are important to me.

What excites you the most?
Just having a bike.
Two wheels.

Apart from that it depends.
I love powerslides when the time is right.
I love 'walking pace' trails when I get the chance.
I love seeing things I haven't before - discovering new places/faces
A steep rocky hill.
Sweeping bends at speed (like Rooi Els)
Fast karoo gravel highways
If I can manage to lift the front wheel and keep it up to the other side of the intersection...

:D ;D ;D

Nice topic, Watty!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:52:51 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »
This thread makes me feel like packing the bike and going on a trip NOW! :'(
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:34 pm »

Yeah it does...

I made the mistake last week of going through old bike trip photos again.

:(

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Yefimovich²

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R1200RT
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:13:21 pm »

Yeah it does...

I made the mistake last week of going through old bike trip photos again.

:(

Just did the same  :'(
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »
Good idea for a post.
My answers , in point form :

I have a 1990 Suzuki DR800 Big.
I like the fact that it can do everything I require of it - play off road with the KLRs & cruise nicely on the road with the 'Stroms.
I dislike the fact that it's a virtual antique & therefore parts are a bugger to find ( anyone with a pair of Mikuni BST33SS carbs - please PM me)

What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
I 'd have to say reaching destinations & riding with your mates & also seeing bits of Africa you haven't seen before.

Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
Absolutely not - my bike is 19 years old.

Do you like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
Loud pipes are good for the morning commute, but not really for a long day in the saddle. My DR has more than enough power for the kind of riding I do.

Would you be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
Prestige has nothing to do with what bike I ride. I would probably ride a smaller capacity bike, provided I enjoyed riding it as much as my DR.

Do you enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
Yes, however my pillion does not enjoy being a pillion, so I'm a bit stuck.

Do you like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
I love working on my bike & modding it to make it suit me, however, bolting crap onto it just for the sake of having crap bolted on to it is not really my scene.

Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?
Brilliant, love it

What excites me the most it just being “out there” on 2 wheels.
That cliché : “4 wheels moves your body & 2 wheels moves your soul” sums it up for me.

WHS
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »
Riding in remote scenic places on a simple lightweight bike that I am completely at ease with.

Socialising? - At bigger social gatherings I am the guy standing in the corner so that is not the main attraction for me. 

Ganjora

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 01:10:24 pm »
bushveld, bikes,  buddies & beer   (and a big fat zol)