Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: D/S motorcycling: What Do You Enjoy the Most?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
Re: D/S motorcycling: What Do You Enjoy the Most?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »
 If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
· What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
I like a bit of speed on appropriate roads & time. Technical is good but the bike not really designed for it neither my skills. Destinations are relevant to what type of ride you on.
· Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
I dont give a fig.....i bought the bike for me!
· Do you like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
How can you not help it?
· Would you be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
Very much so....i think i would have more fun doing trailriding.
· Do you enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
I have yet to inspire her to take the road less travelled. Its not for everyone.
· Do you like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
Mechanical stuff like tinkering around yes...spraypainting...oh yes!!
· Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?
I like riding solo but do the group thing as well....sitting around a fire having a chat & a few scoops is what its all about.... :)

What excites you the most? Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?
I can spend ages just packing for a day ride...imagine for something longer.....the expectation of riding is a thrill by itself :) 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 01:53:46 pm »
Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?

How many riders on your ideal trip?

In my case I would say 2-3.

4-6 is a big group IMO.

6+ is only fun sometimes if I'm in the mood and only on shorter trips.

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 01:55:48 pm »
• If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
My DR650SE is a tool.  It can get scratched or dented – I don’t get freaked if I drop it.  It goes just about anywhere a sane person would want to. It’s simple and reliable and easy to fix if things ever go wrong.  It used to belong to LeCap and I enjoy it for the same reasons he does.  And, yes, the seat is horrible.
• What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
I’m not into speed.  Grunt is nice and not getting gobbled up on the freeway.  I love exploring, finding new routes, paths etc.  That upcoming ride straight across Botswana is my idea of motorcycling nirvana.
• Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
Good God, no!
• Do you like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
I’d like a LOUD exhaust in traffic, otherwise I like it whisper quiet.  You don’t piss the farmers off - if they even know you’re there.  I really like to be able to stay away from the cagers.  That takes power, but not THAT much.
• Would you be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
I’ve just sold my TeeDub, and I miss it very much.  Just not on the open road.  If it had a few more horses I would never have sold it.
• Do you enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
I don’t like carrying a pillion.  I’m unsteady enough as it is.  I do like company to share the adventure.
• Do you like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
I like maintaining my bike but couldn’t care for “bling”.
• Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?
Great!  Biking gives one the chance to get to know people one would never meet otherwise.  Having the common passion instantly breaks down conventional social barriers.
What excites you the most? Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?
I commute by bike every day.  I revel in not being held up by the traffic and not having to hunt for or pay for parking.  The freedom it gives me compared to a cage is enormous and a great pleasure every time I ride.

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »

· If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
  Nothing to dislike...
· What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
  Going to beautiful Places on interesting roads...
· Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
  Kind Of.. The Honda Africa Twin is the best isn't it?
  Sometimes... I do have rather loud pipes on my bikes... but wheelspins... no go, I like to keep my tyres as long as possible.
  I would love to have a little 230 Honda to play around on... anyone got one on offer?
  Not too comfy with pillions, especially on dirt, so no, I mostly ride alone.
  Got sons and hubby to work on my bikes (and theirs). No blinging, but I like to add some personality.
  Definitely, especially the sexy rugged ones... oops, luckily hubby is computer illiterate, so he will never see this, hahaha.  But yes, hanging out with friends is definitely a plus.

I just love the idea of being able to go where the superbikes can't go, I love looking at landscapes.  I love a little bit of a challenge, but nothing too hectic, as I don't like falling off.

Ciao
Chrissie B.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 05:49:36 pm »
· If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
DS. Like: its cheap, it works & its mine. Dislike: long tar stretches are really boring.

The smells.  Outside of the big smoke, it reminds me of my childhood, running free in the veld.

You're shitting me, right?

Doesn't matter either way.

Smaller, no.  Dressed up I pull 110kg so smaller is really not an option (my thighs get tired from keeping my knees around my ears).  I'm not sure if "prestigious" and "bike" should be used in the same sentence. Try "prestigious bicircular rotational mode of locomotion".

No.

Yes, until I skin the first knuckle.  Then progressively more use of a hammer and some unpublished vocabulary tend to take over.

I'll share anybody's drink.  Whooah! Let me insert an exception: not Groenie's mampoer.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:47 pm »
I know my bike well, it's capable and very reliable. Love to do everything myself and bling making it better. Solo riding is great but I do have a group of like minded people I ride with. I'm not very sociable, I'm very quite by nature. Enjoy riding where no one is around like the N Cape and Karoo. Like to travel lite. Enjoy technical terrain. Loud pipes can be too much sometimes.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:54 pm »
If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
-Like: Small, reliable, nimble, economical Dislike: Seriaaas lack of horsepower!

-click all of the above, dont like tarr though, the more technical the better, trying obstacles

-Yes :D :imaposer:

-Yes, but there is a time and place for all things

-Smaller, how can i go smaller?

Very much yes

Yes!

-The long time spent planning a big trip, the excitement of getting on your bike every morning and going past all the cages stuck in there little bubble's

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 11:16:03 pm »
• If you are currently riding a dual sport or off-road motorcycle what do you like and dislike about it?
1150GSA: For what I generally do, it's the best. Has enough power, torque, comfort, staying power, ruggedness, presence, looks, oomph, load-carrying ability, and grin-factor to keep me happy miles on end. However, it is too heavy for my abilities in more technical stuff and is a tad expensive to repair after a spill.

F650: Light and durable enough to have started me on the DS way, Still gives me a happy feeling when I twist its ear. :) But a bit light for the long distances I tend to cover, and was not really designed for standing on the pegs for long distances. Frugal on the juice, great machine for its age.

• What is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle? Is it speed? Surmounting obstacles? Reaching destinations?
All of the above, and then some. My best fun/time is when I'm in the groove (as put by Eisbein), when the hum and grumble of the engine mesh with the road- and wind-noise, and together they take my mind into that happy place where time and distance don't exist.

Following my front wheel and the whim of strange signposts on a breakfast-run; completing a reasonable technical section in a group ride that I wouldn't yet do by myself; carving passes at speed (straight-line speed I find unexciting); the sheer pleasure of covering ground to get to a destination (I appreciate the act of  travelling more than the destination I'm going to).

• Do you ride something to be admired by your friends and recognized as the best?
Not really to be admired - not enough of a deep-down poser for that! Only my WD friends appreciate both for what they are, the rest just see two wheels and a BMW badge. Both were my dreams though, fulfillment of research and saving for the riding I want to enjoy.

• Do you like loud mufflers, and wheelspinning power?
No to the noise, yes to the power (but wheelspinning only on gravel).

• Would you be satisfied with a smaller, less prestigious bike?
I've come to appreciate the value of a smaller bike, and would like one as a second machine. Cannot see myself replacing my primary ride unless (until?) the anticipated terrain/activity wouldn't suit it.

• Do you enjoy carrying a pillion and sharing the adventure?
Not carried a pillion for long rides. Short rides okay, although I do find that having a pillion "cramps" my space a bit. Think I'd be happier with one bike per person.

• Do you like mechanical work and "blinging" your bike?
Too many fingers, not enough thumbs! :) Enjoy tinkering and doing what I can to keep it in good running shape, but not much good at the mechie stuff... yet. :)

• Bonding with likewise riders around a camp-fire after an outride?
Has it's time and place, but most of my rides tend to be solo. I'm generally not much of a crowd person, but enjoy hanging out with a small group.

• What excites you the most?
Hmm, think some of this is covered under the earlier "most fun" question. As mentioned by others, the planning, packing and end stages of a trip wrap up any experience. I enjoy riding out of town fully packed (or not) in the wee hours of the morning; returning dirty and dusty and doing a "brag run" through town signifies my end-of-trip.

Greeting (or even seeing) another bike loaded for a trip lifts my spirits when on the road, friendly locals next to the road, excited kids, cheerful truckers - they all make the long roads worthwhile. New scenery, fresh smells, rainstorms, the wilds, long and empty roads, the plume of dust in my rear-view mirror, the reflection of a crystal-blue sky in my dashboard instruments. Uncreaking from the saddle after a too-long day in the saddle, that feeling of oneness when finding the correct line. The narrowing of the road when at speed, the immediacy of my surrounding when concentrating on a corner, the unexpected joy (lurch of the heart anyway! :) ) of dragging a toe through a corner.

The list goes on, and I know there's a lot I haven't covered. The essence of what excites me comes down to:
Pressing the starter button, swinging my leg over, engaging a gear, twisting the throttle and letting the clutch out. What comes after that is meant to be and is why I ride.

• Is there anything that needs to be added to the above list?
Can't think of anything offhand - will come back to add if something comes to mind!

Nice thread Watty.
  :thumleft:  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:32:16 pm by lonerider »
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.