Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Project:21 inch GS adventure front - tested on the mud monster  (Read 6033 times)

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
Re: Project:21 inch GS adventure front - tested on the mud monster
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2013, 08:18:30 pm »
must say 21 is the way to go if you go offroad - the HP saved me a few times that I knew if I was on the 1200 I would have been down - would be nice to fit the motard rims on the Hp to go and blast the lowfelt passes
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:27 pm »
For why make this thread alive again ?   :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:
Simply cannot get this image and thought out of my head  :BangHead:
I will have to scratch this itch sometime soon !
Heimer: How much was the Wunderlich conversion? Tubeless?
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2013, 08:54:56 pm »
I hope they put a 21 on the new GSA

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 09:07:16 pm »

Are you pregnant yet? you have more chance of that than them fitting a 21"  8)
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:49 pm »

Even KTM is going to 19"  :pot:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:22 pm »

Go to Europe, drive around see where a 21" is going to help them "NOWHERE" their twisty riding roads are better surfaced than our highways 8)

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2013, 09:15:30 pm »

Only the normal adventure, the R will still keep the 21.

Offline da PEEG

• "So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected."
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
OK, so I T-Boned a car last week and in the quote, there is a cost of R14,000 to re-lace the wheel and sort out the rim, now I'm thinking...

1. Do I go for an interlaced(lubeless - more expensive) 21" conversion while I'm at it? (And what rim do I use? Heard something about the older R80 or R100?)
2. Do I go for a 'tubed' 21" conversion (how do I match the rims, can I have them 'purple anodised' for the R1150GSA)?
3. Do I go for an Excel tubed fron wheel and again...(how do I match the rims, can I have them 'purple anodised' for the R1150GSA)?

Some advice would be appreciated - VERY QUICKLY, I speak to the assessor later this week.
BMW R1150GSA(Sidecar);  Yamaha XT660R

Offline Takashi

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2013, 08:52:03 pm »
OK, so I T-Boned a car last week and in the quote, there is a cost of R14,000 to re-lace the wheel and sort out the rim, now I'm thinking...

1. Do I go for an interlaced(lubeless - more expensive) 21" conversion while I'm at it? (And what rim do I use? Heard something about the older R80 or R100?)
2. Do I go for a 'tubed' 21" conversion (how do I match the rims, can I have them 'purple anodised' for the R1150GSA)?
3. Do I go for an Excel tubed fron wheel and again...(how do I match the rims, can I have them 'purple anodised' for the R1150GSA)?

Some advice would be appreciated - VERY QUICKLY, I speak to the assessor later this week.

I would try to get a HP2 front rim.  (Tubeless)
Depending on the number of spokes for the 1150...

I've had the same wallet munching thoughts about changing the front on my bike to a 21''.
I've already got a spare hub.

Offline da PEEG

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20:52 pm »

I've had the same wallet munching thoughts about changing the front on my bike to a 21''.

I thought that the HP2 front wheels were 'tubed' and not 'tubeless'(interlaced) ?  I seem to remember that BMW had some issues with making them interlaced/"tubeless"...

Offline Takashi

« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

I thought that the HP2 front wheels were 'tubed' and not 'tubeless'(interlaced) ?  I seem to remember that BMW had some issues with making them interlaced/"tubeless"...

AFAIK the HP2 is crossed laced tubeless. The spoke is on the collar of the rim just like the GS rim.
You can ask the HP2 owners about this.

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »
hp2 is tubeless
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:15 am »
hp2 is tubeless

But a much thinner rim ... that takes 90/90 not 110/80 ... better handling and tyre choice though IMHO.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:19 am »

R100 Rim I think, talk to BMW Fourways  8)

Offline Mocke

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »
 ??? I like this mod but can anybody give me an idea of the increase in ride height?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:07 pm »
Anybody got a Hp2 rim they want to sell? :peepwall: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2013, 04:31:03 pm »
??? I like this mod but can anybody give me an idea of the increase in ride height?

Minimal, the rim would be 25mm more, but the tyre has less profile so maybe 10mm to 15mm difference  8)

Offline da PEEG

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »

R100 Rim I think, talk to BMW Fourways  8)

Hi Welsh,
I've spoken with Mannie Koutsoudakis(ex-Auto Alpina & ex-Acme) now Dealer principal at Clearwater BMW Motorrad on the West Rand. He's going to 'make a plan' for me. (Next hurdle is to sort things out with the assessor...)

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:58 am »

Missed this thread 'till now ....

I did the conversion on my GSA about two years ago. Used the R80GS 21" outer rim, bought new spokes and nipple ends from Northside BMW (speak to James) who also organised a used hub, rim was anodised by a mate who's in the business, lacing was organised by James and then fitted a TKC.  I made my own brackets for the raising the mudguard.  Whole lot set me back about R11 or R11.5k.  It is a tubeless conversion.

I've upgraded the GSA since but kept the 21" which I alternate with the 19 depending on the ride.  All the reports of improved ride are accurate!

My only negative is that the TC and ABS can't sync and switch off with an error code and become ineffective.  Not important for the dirt stuff, but I want it on tar.

R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:18 pm »

Missed this thread 'till now ....

I did the conversion on my GSA about two years ago. Used the R80GS 21" outer rim, bought new spokes and nipple ends from Northside BMW (speak to James) who also organised a used hub, rim was anodised by a mate who's in the business, lacing was organised by James and then fitted a TKC.  I made my own brackets for the raising the mudguard.  Whole lot set me back about R11 or R11.5k.  It is a tubeless conversion.

I've upgraded the GSA since but kept the 21" which I alternate with the 19 depending on the ride.  All the reports of improved ride are accurate!

My only negative is that the TC and ABS can't sync and switch off with an error code and become ineffective.  Not important for the dirt stuff, but I want it on tar.

Explain the TC and ABS problem?

I have no ABS issues. (2007 model, so no TC  :thumleft:)

I simply fitted an ABS ring on the 21" rim and change wheels as I want.

I have the wunderlich rim which is laced on a standard BMW front hub

The only REAL isuue is that, with the 21",  the front is raised and you need to adjust the headlight way down all the way.
I realised that after the trucks started flashing their brights at me one night.

Making some beam guidance mark for each rim's height on a garage wall will take care of that.  8) Adjust before you leave home.

That needs to be done in any case if you are loaded with luggage for a long trip

I have been cosidering upgrading my rear shock with a longer sping to 'level' the bike out more (plus I want a fulle adjustable rear shock in any case)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:23:56 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.