Project:21 inch GS adventure front - tested on the mud monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
What a project!  I decide I want a 21 inch for my adventure front, cause in the words of my erstwhile riding buddie Pierre "you use it like an MX bike!"

A wunderlich conversion will cost R 25 000 odd and includes a new crown (the bit that the suspension and mud flap bolt onto on the forks) a new brake pipe cause the old one goes through the crown a new rim and tyre.

TOO much but surely there are alternatives!!!

So I speak to Gert who does the two finger clutch and brake lever.  Yes he can manufacture the crown for R 3.5 k odd but I must find a 21 inch rim!

So I talk to BM - yes I can get a HP 2 rim but its R 14 k and I will need to put on the adventure hub which is a two disc hub! And new it costs R 14 k odd with the HP2 hub.  So I phone around best i can get is a second hand hp 2 rim for R 12k! 

Ok second option an excel rim tube rim!  Still expensive and I have to find someone to weave on the new spokes!

Back to the internet and I find this guy on Adv rider, apparently a hot ex enduro racer!  He says no you don't need a crown or anything just put it straight on... preferably without the mudflap! I mail him, whats it like?  Look here's my bike he says! 

5d5d2bc2.png

ITs fantastic on sand and rocks but he rides in the desert so he can't comment about the mud! Whats more he swops back and forth between the standard 19 and the 21 depending on his ride!  Yeah and just call Woodys Wheel Works. 

Shit i decide so I'll try it without the crown and stuff and if I need to make up a new mud flap so be it!

Back and forth to Woodys and sure they can do a tubeless, black rim, 21 inch with dual disc fitment and send it to me for R 10k!

Cheaper than anything in SA second hand!!!!!

So my rim arrives next week and I'm like a kid waiting for christmas!  Now I need a tyre for this!  Adventurer a heidenau?