Gauteng - Bos en Biltong Ride!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adventure MX

Why is it with a ride that you organize you keep playing different scenario’s in your head.  Have you covered all the bases to make sure that the ride will flow smoothly.
I just couldn’t get to sleep on Friday evening.  I suppose you could blame it on the excitement of the ride! I don’t know what it is, but lately I always seem to forget something on a trip.  This weekend was no exception.  As I drove up to the Engen Garage I realized I had forgotten my sunglasses.  Usually this wouldn’t be an issue but I like riding with my visor open and the glasses give you some wind protection.

Anyway, I get to the garage and fill up with fuel quickly and then meet the people who had arrived before me.

GG – KTM 640
Shamus – Dakar 650
Rob – KLR 650
Blaine – BMW 650 X
Frans – BMW 650 X
Robin – KTM 640
Anton – KTM 640

We were still waiting for 2 riders before we could set off.  They arrived soon enough.

Ryno – KLR 650
Adriaan – KTM 950

We all greeted and got the formalities out of the way and then we set off on our ride.  We headed out towards Mamelodi and made our way to the first dust road. 

BB21022009_2.jpg

BB21022009_1.jpg

In hind sight this route worked out perfectly as it gave us the opportunity to warm up before we started the more difficult sections. 

Shamus checking tyre pressures!
BB21022009_3.jpg

BB21022009_4.jpg

On our way towards Rust De Winter one needs to take the Klipgat turnoff but this part of the road has now been cordoned off as this area is currently being turned into a nature reserve.  We all signed the entry register and were then on our way at a very leisurely pace as not to disturb the locals or the wildlife.

BB21022009_5.jpg

Catching Jaghond in action!
BB21022009_7.jpg

Catching Panne in action!
BB21022009_8.jpg

We all made it to our first zamalek stop without any incident.  After all it was a “Bos & Biltong” ride so I decided to purchase a bag full of biltong for everyone to share. 

BB21022009_9.jpg

BB21022009_10.jpg

Jaghond is living up to his name and leaving his scent for other intruders :biggrin:
BB21022009_11.jpg

It was still reasonably early but it was getting hot quickly.  We now had to get to Radium and unfortunately the best way was on tar.  This came to be the last time we could relax while we were riding. Some of us did a quick re-fuel in Radium and then it was the start to the “Bos” part of our adventure.

More to follow..........