Struggling with insurance - is it them or me ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Let me just at the start say that I don't want this thread to be a 'bitching session' - I just want to know if this is considered normal and/or if there's anyone that have some advice to offer as to what I can do to get this sorted.

Here's the story:

3 Feb: 'Bliksem neer' with the bike

4 Feb: Drop the bike at Atlanitc and log a claim with BMW Insurance (via e-mail, couldn't get through on the landline number)
The same day I got an e-mail back with what I need to do saying that a quote from the repairer is the 1st step.
Fill in the other forms and send it off.
So now I wait for the quote.

10 Feb: Get the quote from Shane, send it off to BMW-i
Get told by BMW insurance that a maximum of 3 days is required for the assesor's report and a decision regarding the ation (repair or write off)

For the next few days I try to phone three times a day, every time waiting and listening to panflute music until either the line cuts off, I get automatically put through to a automated answering machine that cuts me off, or I get through to the wrong person who takes a message and never return (I'm not exagerating)

18 Feb: After finally getting through to the right person I get told that the bike is officially a write off, but that the meetings where they decide how much they are going to pay out is only held on Tuesday mornings, so I wait 'till the next Tuesday afternoon before I try to phone again.

24 Feb: Try again for 3 times, get hold of the wrong person who takes a message and promise that someone wil phone me back within the next 20 minutes. Needless to say that person is still phoning.

25 Feb: Phone around 8 and to my shock and horror get through to them, with the right person picking up on the other side. Tells me she needs to get my details from finance and then deduct what I still owe from the pay out ammount and then send that detail (before the day ends nogal) via e-mail to me.
Also needless to say I am still receiving that e-mail.

26 Feb: Phone again and after two attempts I get through to the wrong person (again) who takes a message (again) and promises (again) that the proper person will phone me back within 20 minutes (also over an hour ago)

Apart from this I have tried to sent e-mails, but I get a delivery receipt strait away, a read receipt two or three days later and no answer to it whatsoever.

What is frustrating is that this is now 3 weeks and two days after I had the accident and I can still get no information out of them other than the bike have been written off.

My questions:
Is it normal to wait this long before confirmation of anything ?
Is it normal to not be able to get through to the call centre number ?
Are they trying to stall my claim into next month's figures ?
How long must I give it before I try and take it higher up ?
Is there anywhere I can take this higher up ?

I don't think that it is a lack of compitancy, I think they are understaffed, but still - is this the type of service that the blue and white propeller is happy with ?

Am I being unreasonable ?

:(