Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: one of my favourite places  (Read 2520 times)

Offline krazy-eyes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
one of my favourite places
« on: September 26, 2006, 01:23:34 pm »
this wasnt done on a bike, so it doest count as a "ride report", thats why it is in this section.

this weekend my girlfriend and i took some friends to Sabie.
even though i hated not being there on my bike, i had no option as my friends insisted on sharing transport (i dont think four-up on a bike will work). i absolutely love this area. the forests are endless, and the air inside them is so incredibly clean and fresh. inbetween the pine forests are vast natural indigenous forests with waterfalls and water so clean you can drink.
it is tranquil and quiet, except for the call of some exotic sounding birds.
one can truly lose yourself in these forests.
strictly speaking you are not allowed to be here, but the forests are so big it is impossible for sappi to police - and lets face it, i dont pose a threat or fire hazard in any way.

i took some pics and thought i'd share some of my secret spots with you guys. i plan on going back there again soon (on the KTM ) and camping in the forests in one of the lesser travelled areas.
i reckon you could live in some areas of those forests for months without being detected.

canon surfing:

humping locusts:

we stashed the car and walked 2.5km on foot to an unknown waterfall:

indigenous tree:

pure and sweet:

places like these exist, and sappi keeps it to themselves  :x :

my friends wife taking a shower:

falling from heaven:

exploring a lesser travelled road:

some truly secrets spots:

a forester in the forest:

nature reclaiming what is hers:

nikki:

swimming in the mac mac river:

glowing embers:

looking towards hazy view:

give me a pm if you are keen to go there, i'll lead the way!

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:46:46 pm »
:shock: Wot! no skinny dipping pics?

You will just HAVE to go back there and redo from start!

Looks like a real nice place.
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:08:30 pm »
ja right, like i'll put those on the net! besides, i thought the humping locusts would be action enough for you guys   :lol:

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 03:26:52 pm »
I can't understand why people go to the sea for a holiday......it just durrent make sense. In today's mad rush we only get a few days to go away and recouperate. And then you want to spend it in a tourist trap?

The wife and me love to take our infrequent long weekends in the eastern tvl. We normally base ourselves at Panorama in Graskop and then explore from there. Just a little bit of effort brings the greatest rewards, like climbing down some of the many waterfalls in the area.

We once spent a whole day at Berlin falls, carried the braai and cooler box all the way down to the flat rocks below and just chilled.

There's no place that can recharge the batteries like the area around Sabie/Graskop and then of course Hoedspruit, my all time favourite, but you have know someone that owns a game lodge.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:59:08 pm »
Quote from: "Groenie"
I can't understand why people go to the sea for a holiday......it just durrent make sense. In today's mad rush we only get a few days to go away and recouperate. And then you want to spend it in a tourist trap? ....

Well spoken old Mole. From pics I have seen and what I have read (unfortunately I aint been there) that area looks like it could be paradize and I would really like to experience it.

Unfortoonatley I have to base myself at Panorama near Bellville and explore from there being too cheepskate to go further than the Orange river. :roll:  :oops:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline brettp

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:12:34 pm »
So, when can we go??? make a weekend of it?
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 09:08:28 pm »
Stunning, stunning absolutly beautifull area. :)

Offline xan

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: one of my favourite places
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 02:19:42 pm »
Dude!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what we're looking for! Me and 3 buddies (ages 25 -29)of mine just got our offroad bikes. We want to ride,sleep and braai ! But preferably in a place with a roof. Sabie is awesoooooooome! Do you think one can sleep in hiking huts and explore during the day, or will we get shot at? Dammit, I'm flippen excited. We want to make a long weekend 13-16 Desember. Where can we go? HELP

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 02:33:30 pm »
Dude!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what we're looking for! Me and 3 buddies (ages 25 -29)of mine just got our offroad bikes. We want to ride,sleep and braai ! But preferably in a place with a roof. Sabie is awesoooooooome! Do you think one can sleep in hiking huts and explore during the day, or will we get shot at? Dammit, I'm flippen excited. We want to make a long weekend 13-16 Desember. Where can we go? HELP

Not a good idea in a SAPPI forest :deal:
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 02:36:50 pm »

what are your intentions?
are you going to tear up the place?

Offline xan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 03:18:34 pm »
Certainly not. We'll stay on the main service road. All of us are still new to the game, so technical off road riding isn't really on the top of our priority list. Why? is it possible?

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »
Unfortunately krazy-eyes has taken a sabbatical from bikes so he probably won't be answering your question soon.
Hopefully someone else will come to your aid. I'm from the cape so unfortunately I don't have much info on that area.

the reason why I asked if you were going to rip it up is because Wild Dogs do their best to be ecologically sensitive and take a dim view on okes who disrespect nature. Since I don't know you I was being cautious about volunteering info

Offline xan

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »
no probs, just hope someone can come to my resQ

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 05:15:27 pm »
About 5 km outside Sabie, on the way to Pilgram's Rest, is a good camp site that is central to some really good riding areas. You can pitch your own tent or hire one of these two bed tents with shower(hot water), toilet etc.

I can't remember the name of the camp site but keep a look out for Jock Of The Bushveld's resting place on your R/H side, the turn off is right there, just after a very sharp right hand corner at Mac Mac Falls.

Jocks resting place

Offline dakardrix

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »
 :-\ Mmm, one can't just ride anywhere in Sabie, will get in trouble real soon.   

I suggest you contact one of the friendly Sabie Experience (MTB stage race) organisers who know that area like the back of their hands and can tell you where and where not:  Fiona Coward 083 564 7767 / 011 462 0016 or Dennis Lawrie (route planner) 082 809 8522 / 013 764 3500

Offline krazy-eyes

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »
as far as i know, getting permission to ride any motorised vehicle (be it touring bike, scrambler or quad) other than a 4x4 or quad as part of a tour is not possible for those forests - so dont even waste your time.
permits are available for mountain biking from the local bicycle shop or merry pebbles campsite.

that being said  >:D

it is not uncommon to hear the tinny sound of two-strokes echoing through the forests on a Saturday or Sunday (yes i know the difference between the sound of a chainsaw and a scrambler), words like;

"it's allowed as long as you don't get caught."
or
"it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission "

come to mind.  >:D

i have had the pleasure of exploring those forests on my racing quad a few years back. wow!
that's all i can say.
if there is such a thing as a holy grail of riding.....

the forests are too big to be policed by the powers that be making it easy to slip in and out un-noticed, but be warned, you don't want to get caught!
I'm pretty sure they'll throw the book at you. for some reason they dont really want strangers in "their" forests.

i say "their forests" becase the way i see it is - the world is a playground created by God for ALL to enjoy, and ownership of land was never part of his master plan, only caretakership. why should the people of the world be barred from beautifull places such as this simply because the land was "aquired" by a corporation such as sappi/mondi more than a lifetime ago?

obviously i'm not suggesting the place be overrun by scramblers and the like, but "sneaking in" and treading lightly in order to experience the splendour of nature i have no qualms with.
as if a 100kg scrambler does more damage than a 30 ton loggin truck - just make sure you have spark arrestor o your pipe.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:48:56 pm by krazy-eyes »