Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2 Guys, 4 Kloofs, 7 days, 28 passes and 1650km  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
Re: 2 Guys, 4 Kloofs, 7 days, 28 passes and 1650km
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »
Excellent ride report master TR :thumleft:

Just a quez from a Gautenger that just loves your part of the world

That railwayline running high above Montagu pass - can one take a ride there (still in daily use?) and do you know of anyone that's done it?

That railway line looks awesome and can just imagine what the scenery must look like.

Planning to do all those passes myself during first couple of weeks of April - just me, bike, bivvy and bladder (for fuel :mwink:
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 08:49:35 pm »
Yes the track runs right by the railway line and yes it is in daily use.

You can also take scenic train / tram rides up the mountain from the Railway museum in George. I happen to know that BigEd went over there recently.

More pics here.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:08 pm »
Day 4 to follow sometime tonight. Sorry for the delays. Having been away from the family and office for a week means there are lots of catching up to do.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2009, 09:20:02 pm »
Yes the track runs right by the railway line and yes it is in daily use.

You can also take scenic train / tram rides up the mountain from the Railway museum in George. I happen to know that BigEd went over there recently.

More pics here.

Miskien is ek net stoepit maar op sekere plekke loop die treinspoor maklik n paar honderd meter bo die Montaqupas - ek wil die treinpas ry? is dit moontlik?
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:53 pm »
Miskien is ek net stoepit maar op sekere plekke loop die treinspoor maklik n paar honderd meter bo die Montaqupas - ek wil die treinpas ry? is dit moontlik?

Dit is moontlik, maar ek weet nie of dit wettig is nie. Ek weet wel bikes het al daar gery

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2009, 11:27:39 pm »
Day 4

Today was a "rest" day. Not only did we have some long days in the saddle behind us, but it's also easy to suffer from total sensory overload on your first visit here. There is so much to see that it becomes almost impossible to take more in - a "condition" Bike Vettie confirmed.

We'd ride from Baviaans to De Vlugt, a short trip of only 142km, so we could take it easy.

(Clickable map - you know the drill ;))

Despite having lots of time we hit the road around 8am - we like getting on the road early. We rode slowly breathing the fresh air with the sun on our backs. Yep - this is how every Monday should start.

Easy gravel and a tame water crossing - no technical roads today. Out of Baviaans and through Nuwekloof Pass.

Next we had some beautiful gravel highway towards Uniondale.

A couple of km outside of Uniondale (on tar luckily) the GS had a front flat. We searched for the hole but found none. We inflated the tyre and still could not find the puncture - the tyre stayed inflated. We never did figure out what caused this "phantom flat", but the tyre was fine for the rest of the trip.

Uniondale:

José Burman (Author) commented, "I have seen all the famous, and most of the minor passes in South Africa, and of all of them I love Prince Alfred's Pass best."

It's easy to see why. Of all the passes in Southern Cape this is often singled out as a favourite because of it's wondrous variety. Seventy kilometers long and rising 1000 metres, it winds through some of the wildest and most unspoilt scenery in South Africa. (Sources: *Prince Alfred's Pass: Spectacular & Diverse - Ilse Meyer. *The Romance of Cape Mountain Passes - Graham Ross)

Today we'd only ride half of this Pass though.

Around midday we rolled into De Vlugt and stopped at Angie's G-spot for lunch.

Dual Sport bikes welcome!

Very nice home made burgers and some cold ones before we headed next door to the Outeniqua Trout Farm - our home for the night. Here we found some more Dual Sport bikes. This truly is Dual Sport country!

What we did not expect was what we found next. I knew that any lodging would battle to impress after two nights in the cave, but this blew my mind! We made a reservation to sleep in one of the TiPi tents. Believe me when I tell you that this is absolutely 5 star!

This is camping in luxury. When you sleep here all you have to bring is your clothes, toothbrush and a juicy steak for dinner. Everything else is included and provided down to the wood and ice. The tents have beds with great linen, mattresses and even a fireplace!

Also note the "logo" on the TiPi walls. Each TiPi has a different logo (ours being the "Shaman") and that logo is used on everything that is provided with your TiPi. There are four TiPi's and four ablution blocks. The one with the "Shaman" logo on the door belongs to this TiPi and this TiPi only. So if you camp here you have your own bathroom and you don't share it with other campers. Speaking of which - the bathrooms are top notch!

I was really intrigued by the Rocked Shower. It works with a little paraffin and a little cup gives you enough hot water for a 20 minute shower. Very eco-friendly!

The braai area and kitchen:

Once again very neat and everything is provided. Note once again the "Shaman" logo on "our" cupboard. We could leave our groceries there if needed. We were the only people in the camp tonight so we could use everything

Mid afternoon we were treated with some freshly baked banana bread and butter to enjoy with our afternoon tea, uhm, beverage of choice

Some wildlife roaming free:

This is a great destination. I am definitely bringing Mrs.TR back here soon!

We chatted the night away around the bonfire. This was the end of day 4 and this trip was just getting better and better

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:10 am »
Nice one Tr - those Tipis look really cool!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 08:23:03 am »
Brilliant report as always.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 12:57:08 pm »
Day 5

Once in a while one finds a piece of road where all you want to do is ride and ride and ride. Today was such a day.

This day was probably the most scenic, so today's report will be told mostly with pictures, and there are lots of them

We were up nice and early again. Our hosts told us that a massive weather system was forming over almost the whole of South Africa and that high temperatures and thunderstorms were a good possibility. Already there was a hot breeze, but we were not fazed. Today we're riding the Garden route!

Looking back at the Outeniqua Trout Farm:

(The hazy / overcast conditions meant that the light was not great for photography.)

The Southern Half of the Prince Alfreds Pass is the most scenic.

They had a fire in these mountains recently which made for some nice contrasts.

The skies were foreboding and here and there the first drops started to fall, but it was warm and we did not even get wet. Not your typical Southern Cape weather.

Cruising through the forests - what could be better than this?

Well, "Kom-se-Pad" could be better. Every Dual Sport rider in South Africa should ride this road at least once!

The view from one of the lookout points. Funny skies for the area, especially early in the morning.

Knysna and on to the 7 Passes road:

Past George we hit the gravel to our destination for the night - Attakwaskloof.

We'd sleep in tents again tonight. Bonniedale Adventure Farm has permanent tents with beds and mattresses, nice braais and wood is also provided.

Today was one of the highlights of the trip. After a steak dinner we turned in.

That night the heavens opened...

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »
How did you find the TA going thru Bav?
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 02:16:43 pm »
How did you find the TA going thru Bav?

It impressed the hell out of me (being a small bike disciple). I was nervous before I went through, but the TA did it no prob. Did not even touch the CAT on the way up Holgat Pass (CAT will be removed next week!!! ;D). Not once did I feel that the bike is out of it's depth or being abused.

It was "easy". So much so that I would consider pillioning Mrs. TR through Bav.

No brand bashing intended here, but I would like to see where a big GS or Africa Twin can go where this bike can not go. It's so much more capable than the general perception seems to be (mine included before this trip).

Having said that - it still a big trailly and I wouldn't go into the forest and try and carry it over trees ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:23:00 pm by Trailrider »

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 02:35:43 pm »
Awesome!  You are a great story teller, a great photographer and obviously you enjoy life.  :thumleft: :thumleft: ;D I have read through as carefully as I read my Bible.  ;D
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 02:52:11 pm »
2 more days still to be reported on ;D

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 02:17:02 am »
2 more days still to be reported on ;D
We await with anticipation.
Did Kom se pad in the dark with Bakkie last year, still keen to go back in the day.
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline columbus

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 05:09:41 pm »
Fantastic report makes one realise just how shallow magazines like Getaway, Weg, Go and all the rest are
Allways carry a map its not good to get lost and have to eat your friends

Offline Rooies

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 06:05:45 pm »
Brilliant report TR!  Also now on my to-do list...

Nice to see the TA doing its thing.
Current:     BMW R1150GS
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »
Trout Lodge is sooooooooooo great..!

For the rest of you out there... these are the owners, Ingo and Naomi Vennemann. He has an 1150 GSA, and last year she got a small bike too.. I can't remember what kind.

(Hey, TR... they are still the owners, hey?)
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009, 07:58:37 pm »
They are and they are great hosts!

She sold her small bike and bought a new GS650. ;D

He is very knowledgeable about the Big GS's too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:59:53 pm by Trailrider »

Offline Doringboom

• Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
  • Vra maar, dalk weet ek.
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
Lekker-lekker Trailrider :thumleft: Ek kyk en lees nog alliepad! Ek wag geduldig vir die res ;)
2-wiel geskiedenis sedert 1995: Kawasaki KLE 500, Suzuki GSX750F en Triumph Tiger 955i. Het almal verkoop, sonder dat ek myself en/of die fiets breek gery het.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 08:30:59 pm »
Day 6

After a night of heavy rain I woke to this view:

I love sleeping in the "open". Very liberating!

On the menu today: Attakwas Kloof, Gysmanshoek Pass, Tradouw's Pass and Warmwaterberg. Rural roads most of the way!

(You guessed it - clickable map. Just like all the others! )

We hit the road around 7 am. After the rains everything were fresh. You could smell the recent rain, the plants, the fresh air. I rode with the sun on my back and a song in my heart.

Just look at this: Wednesday morning and riding into a scene like that!

We shared the route with this Paw x Paw. He engaged low rage to negotiate this downhill. Obviously an experienced traveller.

Nice to meet you mate! Safe travels

(I tried to research what species this is but could not come to a conclusion. Anyone know perhaps?)

Approaching the ruins of the old village Woeska. What a brilliant day it was!

Attakwas Kloof and beyond:

Exiting the kloof you join the R327 and travel West to cross the Gourits river (this is where LITO went over).

After a slow cruise taking in the scenery of Attakwaskloof these gravel highways were a welcome change. It was not dry and dusty, nor was it wet and slippery. Perfect conditions to turn it up a bit

Except for that one spot where a patch of mud really surprised us Luckily I was over it before I even realised! We did stop afterwards to "laugh" about it. TKC's make us invincible?

Another muddy spot. A 4x4 slipped and slid across just before us and it really seemed bad. We crossed without incident though. TKC's make us invincible!

Gysmans:

And descending into the Southern Cape. What a view! Something that you cannot really capture on film. That's Heidelberg in the distance.

Following gravel along the Southern slopes of the mountain I rode along a section where the shade of some trees disguised some terrible potholes (from the previous night's storm perhaps?). Luckily the line I rode missed them completely. Just after those the road turned and I came apon this moments after it happened.

Accidents happen quickly. Luckily the driver was not seriously hurt and the police arrived soon after.

Next up:

This is a tar pass with sweeping turns. The fancy took us and we really got our knees down all the way to Barrydale

Barrydale

There is a fertile valley lying between the coastal belt and the Karoo, enclosed by the Langeberg and Swartberg mountain ranges. To call this region the Little Karoo is a misnomer . Geographically, geologically and scenically it is not part of the Karoo but supports unique features of it’s own that ensure its place as a very special part of South Africa.

The region was referred to as Kannaland on a map produced in 1843, this name being derived from the genus, Kanna. This area has a higher rainfall than the Karoo, which gave rise to permanent populations of Quena or Hottentot people of the Attaqua tribe in the low lying floor of the valley and to the Bushmen / Khoisan, who inhabited the mountains.

The Attaqua had a path, parts of which are still visible today, through the Langeberg, which followed the deep, and steep, ravine known as the Tradouw Poort.

Tradouw is a Hottentot word meaning “the women’s poort or footpath”.

The Attaqua had kraals on “the other side” of the mountains, round the village now known as suurbraak, known by them as xairu, meaning beautiful.

Early visitors were Isaac Schrijver and his party, who were sent to this area in 1689 by Simon van der Stel and Lady Anne Barnard, who travelled in the Overberg and Little Karoo in 1798.

Lunch at an old favourite - The Country Pumpkin. Arrive here on two wheels and you receive a complimentary sherry and a 10% discount on your total bill The owner is a biker himself and always keen to chat to other bikers and give advise on routes etc. We even got some complimentary "Route 62" metal badges.

We did most of today's route in half a day so we had some time on our hands. It's was a good thing too because it was extremely HOT by now. Next stop Ronnie's Sex Shop (only 2km from our final stop for the day at Warmwaterberg).

As it turns out the barman is from my home town, George. He arrived here on a 175cc a month ago and heard there was an opening for a barman. As you can see he's still here The freedom of youth. I miss it sometimes.

Bikevettie decided to beat the heat:

A quick shower was welcomed but it did little to break the heat. Oh well. Barman! Another cold one please!

Before we got stuck here (which easily happens ) we rode the 2km to the Historic Bath House we'd call home for the night (website here).

Apparently there used to be an asylum here. We'd fit right in!!!

Our neighbours also had some Wings

We opted for the cold pool today.

An unexpected guest for early dinner:

This being our last night on the road we decided to dine in the restaurant to celebrate a truly GREAT trip. We had huge fun. And we still had a great day's riding left!

The view from our table:

In the distance lay Seweweekspoort and Bosluiskloof. But that is another story...