NIGHT RIDE - Dark, wet, slippery Elandsriver Road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Saturday afternoon I got a sms from Thump saying that he’s going playing with 214, Tyger and Slowpoke at 3pm. I was on babysitting duty so I could only join them at 4pm.

I took a few creative line on the way to meet the guys in the bush. On the way there I was pretending I was in the Dakar... going fast.. when I stopped day dreaming I was halfway into a corner and running out of road fast... it was the scariest moment I have had on my bike sofar...... I stopped to catch my breath and to have a look at the skid marks.... when I heard a voice from behind a bush..... “bliksem baas maar dit was foken close” it was a guy looking after the cows......

Anyway we had a very nice short ride and 214’s new KTM300 is a machine!

So what I was trying to say was that after our afternoon playtime we stopped at Out of Africa for some refreshments and this is where Thump gave birth to a brilliant brain baby! A NIGHT RIDE.....

I was the first to arrive at Rocklands filling station and I was soaking wet and 9h15pm.....
DSCN4850.jpg

It was pissing down with rain
DSCN4853.jpg

I got a call from Thump.... he was on the N2 under a bridge fixing a puncture.... bad luck buddy... turns-out it was the valve and he didn’t have a tube so his son brought a tube and Thump went home to his warm bed....

Soon 214 and Tyger arrived... 214 had awesome new adventure riding shoes...
DSCN4857.jpg

While 214 was walking in his new shoes I entertained Tyger
DSCN4860.jpg

It was really pissing down and it was very very tempting going to the pub down the street instead of going on the wet and slippery dark Elandsriver Road.....BUT... we are adventure Riders... our first stop.
DSCN4862.jpg

DSCN4861.jpg

I didn’t take many photo’s cos it was raining so much and I didn’t want to get the camera wet....

214 was still trying to get use to his new shoes... one of the guys at the shop said that he should fill them with water to make them softer...
DSCN4864.jpg

DSCN4865.jpg

The road was not as slippery in the dark as it is during the day time.... it took us 1 hour riding time to the radio tower from where the gravel started.... yes we made it!!! Yes it was wet!!!
DSCN4867.jpg

DSCN4868.jpg

DSCN4871.jpg

We had some girly drinks to celebrate (Tyger packed the drinks)
DSCN4873.jpg

We had a awesome view
DSCN4876.jpg

Check how high the radio tower is
DSCN4878.jpg

New signboard on the hill
DSCN4884.jpg

It was amazing how much wildlife we saw. We spotted Jackels, Owls, Rabits, Buck and a Tyger!

Thanks for the great idea Thump.. pity you couldn’t make it!!!