Shitty fuel and spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oppad

Have any of you recently encountered this problem and may it have serious consequences?

It's a long story but boils down to new spark plugs (NGK in particular) dying after as little as 10 (ten) k's. Had to replace my new plug with the old one and thought the former was just a dud. Since then I have heard of similar occurences, mostly to do with NGK's and LRP fuel and a few with unleaded fuel as well.

Apparently the fuel is not all that kosher (maybe it has to do with the shortage a while ago) and I have now even heard of new Mercedes cars being recalled as the sensors light up when they detect contamination. A guy at a bike shop told me of a Honda VFR which cost them 1000 bucks in spark plugs during the last six months.

Someone also said that one should only use BP.

I did not think much of these rumours, but now the serious problems people like Rooibaard and Gerhard had with their KLR's made me wonder.

(I had to replace the re-used plug after an additional 2000k's as the porcelain had cracked and it wasn't firing properly - it probably had to do with age and a cold water crossing when the water swirled up over the head, but mebbe the fuel and the plugs make for a dangerously hot combination).

Of course, I am just guessing as I really know very little about engines. Maybe some of the experts can enligten us. Anybody know of similar incidents?