Chasing Sun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
After 12 straight days at the work, and only riding the 5 km to the office and back, my bike was starting to protest and toy toy for a long decent ride into the mountains. It was crying for some dirt and twisting roads. Had a look at the map to find a route that would satisfy the frustrated rider and machine. The decision was to travel to Ceres and then out into the Klein Cederberg area, all and all it would mean riding 7 passes and some really good dirt roads. Monday was the planned day, Sunday the weather was perfect but then CT decided to throw one of its famous curve balls. 4.30 am I was woken up by the driving rain and wind. F&^%&^*k. Rolled over and went back to sleep hoping that the weather would clear up by 7.00 am, the planned time of departure. By 8am it was still raining, what the hell, I need to ride so on with the rain suit (which I later found had a hole in it) and off we went. My bike and I
It rained all the way to Worcester, Du Toits kloof was fun, visibility was down to 50 m, mist and heavy rain, but we weren?t complaining as we were out riding. (No pics, no water proof camera) Stopped at Worcester for some coffee and in drives a 4x4 taking a Harley for a drive?.?

From Worcester it was on to Ceres and up the Mitchells pass, still raining but not so hard.

Stopped for fuel in Ceres and a bite to eat. Then it was off in the direction of Sutherland via the Theronsberg pass, again thick mist and rain. Traveling through the mist in Hottentotskloof the wind chill was down to 7 degrees BBBBrrrrrrrr

At the top of the pass the rain had stopped and there was a hint of sun in the distance.
Finally the tar came to an end and so did the rain. SUN SHINE. Now I had a huge smile, dirt roads and sunshine. I stayed on the R355 which is one of the main dirt highways through the klien Karoo

The mountains seem to dance as the sun shone through the moving clouds; it was difficult to keep your attention on the road and not start to wonder about hobbits and dragons?.

The sign board that indicated my next turn broke the fantasy; it was time to go explore the next 2 passes and the Kouebokkeveld area. Stopped for a quick bite to eat and a self portrait, just testing the camera

This is the road that leads to the 2 passes along this stretch; you can see the first one in the top right hand corner, Peerboomskloof,

And a view from the top. From here on you ride along a beautiful twisty gravel track that takes you across the plateau, the track continuously jinks left and right, up and down. Fun factor 10/10

Some of the rock formations in the area

The start of Katbakkies pass, this time it was the down trip. I last did this pass in July on the up run to Middlepos. They have semi tarred these passes for the farmers, otherwise when it rains they can?t drive up or down because it just becomes way too slippery. The soil here is clay based (I think)

Thats all for now, must get some sleep. Rest to follow soon