WC-DS Festival Leaders / Sweepers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
On Saturday morning we went to the Cederberg Mountains to identify 2 possible routes for Pistonpetes DS Outriders Festival.
We left at 07h00 from the Richwood Garage and met up withe the rest of the croud at 08h00 in Malmsbury.

Riders

1. Leftless BMW HP2
2.Rony  BMW 1200 GSA
3.D.Nelson ( Nelsons Creek) BMW 1200 GSA  (joined in Citrusdal)
4.'H'  1200 GSA
5.Toni  XT660R  (left us near Piketberg)
6.XT660R  Same
7.Crossed-up  DR650
8.Riaanrw  GS650 Dakar
9.Generaal  Honda XL 1000V Varadero
10.AntonW  KTM 640 Adv
11.Camelman  KTM 950
12.Generaals Friend  BMW 1200 GSA
13.n[]vA  BMW G 650X Country  ( Brokedown , again , Just past Piketberg)

And we were off.

Juat outside Malmsbury Toni got a puncture  and halfway to Piketberg , n[]vA `s BMW X Country started jerking and finally broke down just out of Piketberg , Camelman towed him back and caught up to us later.

Jan looks a wee bit pissed off here !

Photo168.jpg

We refueled at Citrusdal and then  Ceder Lodge , just short of Clanwilliam and had a quick b/fast.
Then we hit the dirt  . 1 wrong turn and we hit a narly sand road , which was ok if you had good knobbleis and hit the gas..
At the end of that road , Toni headed home .
We refueled and headed up into the mountains.

The dust in the mountains is hectic.
In a straight line , you have to ride 50m apart to ride safely and when the roads have a lot of bends , 20m is a safe distance.

Sortly after a rest brake , we his some slippery , wineding roads and 'H' cooked the corner , went wide , hit a rock and got airbourne.
Well , he flew a good 6m , took out a warning pole in a storm water drain , landed in a hole full of rockes and cartwheeled that GSA .
He landed back on the road and the bike just past him.

I was behind him , I came round the corner(at a speed ) swerved to miss him , and did an emergency stop to run over to help him.
Rovrat did the same , but he swerved for 'H' nearly clipped me and went off the road and somhow never came off.

'H' s 1200 GSA is no more !!
And 'H' , grazed arm , grazed hip bone and a very swollen knee .
Very lucky though.
At this point , I will load my pics on photobucket and will get back shortly .
Guys , feel free to carry on with the report , not mensioning where the route goes please !