Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Hoofseun" and a day on a CRF450!  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
"Hoofseun" and a day on a CRF450!
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:08 am »
I get a lot of PM’s, generally people asking for suggestions on stuff, contact information, hints and things… all interesting, but nothing especially exciting… I got an exciting one last week.  Would I like to bring a friend and join the Honda Training Academy’s Dirt Riding course for the day… bikes will be provided… and there is a CRF450 with my name on it.
Now this is exciting!  So, I promptly replied with a BIG Yes!   As D is out of action, Misty was the next choice.  I contacted Hoofseun , who had not only made the offer, but would be the instructor on the day, and he made arrangements for a CRF230 for Misty.
I then spent the evening trying to find all my plastic gear, stuff I’ve not used in ages! 
Saturday morning, after bundling our left-handed photographer, Dakota,  into the car and collecting Misty, we shot through to the venue – Gerotek.  What a super venue!  Lecture Hall, Restaurant, etc… all set in beautiful gardens!  Coffee as usual for me is a must, so grabbed a cuppa filter.  Hoofseun welcomed us and after a talk in the lecture hall, we were introduced to our bikes.   I was surprised at the number of people at the venue.  There were courses being run for the bikes, the quads, the 4x4’s, and who knows what else.
To make a long story a whole lot shorter, we rode down to the training area, which was fantastic.  The level of instruction was superlative, with attention to minute detail very obvious.  The things that were pointed out to me certainly improved my performance dramatically.  The one-on-one training offered to anyone struggling with any particular exercise produced an almost instant improvement.  I’d say that anyone having this opportunity to participate on this course should certainly take advantage of it.  The pay-off is well worth the sweat on the day!
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
Re: "Hoofseun" and a day on a CRF450!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:55:08 am »

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:31 am »
Our intrepid instructor on the day!  Hoofseun in his element.

Braking… using the back, using the front and using the lot!  My ability to use both in any combination now is FAR better.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:57:43 am »
Balance training, plus loads more…

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:22 am »

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:49 am »
Once all was done in the training area, we had a sumptuous lunch.  A lot of the riders left at this point, mostly because of exhaustion.  The afternoon session had a lot more to offer.  My only regret was that we did not have our camera lady on the route.  There were some spectacular photo opportunities.  Oh well.

We rode a rather challenging course, which covered a wide range of different terrains, including some exceptional drop-offs (really high) and we practiced all we had learnt.  We even ramped down some fantastic steps.  Here again, a lot of techniques and skills were taught to us, including recovery off a slope when stalled.  The afternoon was ended by a compulsory swim in the reservoir in full kit!  Was that a welcome relief.

Thanks again to Hoofseun for making this opportunity available to us girls.  It really was a fantastic day and I learnt so much!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:00:30 am »
Lekker Malibu :thumleft:

I also had the privledge of attending one of Hoofsen's courses. He is a great instructor.

Offline Misty

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:52 am »
Malibu summed it up so well there’s not really much for me to add – except a short summary of my own experience of the day and a big thanks to all for the opportunity – it was a great experience, as we know there is always something new to learn and each instructor has a little something new to add to a course that brings a new dimension to the whole learning curve – thanks Hoofseun, a great job done.  :thumleft:

The 230, well what a different bike than the 650, a little toy yes, and I will admit at first I found it a bit strange and only really once the day was almost over did I get the hang of it completely – but it made for a nice change, but I wont be trading in my 650 anytime soon – that seat was too much a pain in my ass – literally!!  ;)

We covered the theory, pre bike inspection, how to pick up the bike, all the controls, braking, clutch control, etc - one or two different techniques were shown, which made it interesting and then the maneuvers through the cones – which I managed to do after the second try so that’s one accomplishment done.  :D

Then after lunch, as Malibu said, we went for a ride on the track and did some steep downs and ups, which for me was pretty nerve wrecking – then I thought the tough part was over, but the track got a little bit tougher with a few more ups and downs and some rocky bits, but I made it through the hardest part with flying colours, to Hoofseun's amazement - haha

The last exercise we did were steps and then all too soon it was time to give the bike back, but that was just when I wanted to go for another round on the track!  :ricky:

We finished the day off by jumping into the reservoir too cool off (gear and all – unfortuanetly the camera was missing in action there too) – felt like a little kid again!

Thanks once again – can’t wait to ride my bike now and see the difference! A course to recommend for sure.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:21:03 pm by Misty »
... “There might be a few bumps ahead in the road, but luckily you are well trained in off road riding!” ... PS: for sure, I'm a lot tougher than I look!! ;)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:57:38 am »
Nice one All. Malibu in Blue Nogal :mwink:

Something about a girl on a Red Bike :peepwall: Who cares if they can ride or not.

Nice one Hoofseun. ( Whats up with the open face helmet.) I love them--but the last time i rode with one--i got shot down. :thumleft:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:59:56 am »
He only used the open face while training, so we could actually hear him...  :thumleft:

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:02:28 pm »
He only used the open face while training, so we could actually hear him...  :thumleft:
No wonder No one listens to me ??? They can not hear me. So out with the open face for me again ;)
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »
And the blue was orignally from my WR...  but I'm trying to convince everyone it's Beemer blue!   :mwink:

I gotta say though that I really enjoyed that 450... the little bit of mis-behaviour I got away with was super on that machine!   :thumleft:  Loved all the power!   :biggrin:

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Njam Njam Njam
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 12:34:50 pm »
And the blue was orignally from my WR...  but I'm trying to convince everyone it's Beemer blue!   :mwink:

I gotta say though that I really enjoyed that 450... the little bit of mis-behaviour I got away with was super on that machine!   :thumleft:  Loved all the power!   :biggrin:

U do know my second name is 4fiddy  :ricky:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:21 pm »
 :laughing4:

Good one!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:33 pm »
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, Mal!  I should have dumped the 4x4s and joined you - even on a bicycle it would have been more fun...

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »
It was such a surprise seeing you there... WD's seem to pop up everywhere!  And I guarantee you would have had the time of your life...

We had a visit from some guy called Spongebob, something to do with BikeSA... well, you can't leave our instructors with anything for too long before they gotta do funny things with it... check what a naked Honda on road tyres can do....

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »
Hey you guys had a blast!!  and you right Misty no need to sell your 650 just keep it and buy a plastic bike as well

Offline Misty

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • BMW650GS - DR650 - Triumph Scrambler 900 - BMW650G
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 01:47:59 pm »
A great idea there eSKaPe - now why didnt I think of that?!! :biggrin:
... “There might be a few bumps ahead in the road, but luckily you are well trained in off road riding!” ... PS: for sure, I'm a lot tougher than I look!! ;)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »
Hey you guys had a blast!!  and you right Misty no need to sell your 650 just keep it and buy a plastic bike as well
Hi " K " 2 X Plastic bikes :o Don't get left behind. :mwink:
Current Scooters --

Offline Hoofseun

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hang on
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:19:11 pm »
Hi Malibu and Misty (as well as Dakota)

Thnxs for doing us the priviledge to come out on such a short notice.  Your enthusiasm in participating and sharing was great and I am glad you kept me honest by showing the boys that the girls learn faster and quicker  :biggrin:

Keep on having fun!

"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C