Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The story of a limb wrist, high side, jelly knee and everything in between  (Read 2156 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Eventually the date was 14 March 09, the date for our late morning tea at Dullstroom.  With all the rain we recently had, time was scarce to ride, let alone doing a longer ride. But come rain or shine, this one will happen.

It was a cloudy Saturday morning when I woke, and remembering the weather report Friday night, I packed the rainsuit - one never knows...

Onto the barricaded N1 towards the meeting point. When I arrived, I was greeted by about 6 others. Whilst catching up on the Super 14, the politics, etc 6 more bikes joined us, two with pillions (thanks Jaghond for inviting your friends!) All set, but due to larger than anticipated group a detour was planned to make up time and off we went through Mamelodi onto the back roads to our destination.

Our 1st stretch of dirt almost claimed our first victim. Sorry for not remembering their names, but X (lack of better name) and Y (the pillion) had a BIG scare when they hit some sand. I was not there, but our esteemed sweeper - Plottie - said it was well rescued by landing gear that was deployed just in time. The true gentleman he is, Plottie offered to take Y as his pillion, leaving X to wrestle alone through the sand. Now, I cannot say why, but Y apparently "jumped" on the back of Plottie's KTM, holding on and ready to race.

But X said: "No way. We're turning back. We'll meet you in Dullstroom." This made me wonder. Did X recognized Plottie from 2Wheels as the power slide king and realized that his beloved Y might get some damage, or was it her willingness to jump onto a stranger's bike that made him say "No"....

We encountered a large yellow sign claiming that the road was under construction, and no one can enter except the residents... yeah right, as if a sign will keep us out. What a fantastic piece of road!!! They are preparing to tar it, so the dirt surface was smmmmooooothe as ........... (insert own word here).

Not to soon did we reach Loskop for fuel, biltong and some black tea for the rest. The dam is still overflowing, what a spectacular sight!

At the left turn at the Blinkwater garage near Stofberg, Plottie being fast asleep from playing sweeper, did not gear down, pull the clutch, etc resulting in the bike stalling when he took the corner, end result - Plottie has a jelly knee, less 1x indicator, 1x highway foot peg and scratched crash bar.  This brings us to the limp wrist - do you remember the Heidelberg Enduro? Yeah, the one where Plottie went mountain climbing with his 300cc on his back! Well, seems like he broke something in his wrist, but being a maplotter, he refuses to go to a docter! After he picked himself up from the tar, we continioued to Dullstroom for a well deserved lunch at the Duck & Trout (I think).

With the ominous building up of thunder clouds we mounted our bikes, ready for the leg home via dirt. What piece of heaven!!  We joined the N4 at Arnot power station with the clouds looking angry. A quick coffee stop at the Shell Ultra City, on with the rain suits and off we went. A day well spent.

Thanks to everyone that joined in to make this a great ride. Thanks Fun for keeping me company in front, Zerc for the BIG camera you brought with, Frankie for keeping me nervous, Jaghond for providing us with a unplanned stop to fix your KLR and to Plottie for sweeping. Waghond, for leaving us early to wait at the airport for a car...go figure... and everyone in between that I did not mention.

Till we ride again!

H

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Thanks Ryperd,
A most enjoyable day until the lapse in concentration
I must admit - always read about a "highside" and hoped I would never be a recipient. Well I suppose "elke hond kry sy dag"
Walking like an old man today, Voltaren Gel and Arnica being applied in copius amounts

Thanks to ATGATT and EVO Jackets

I suppose the last 100km in pouring rain was justice  :)
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?

So we suffered because of your stupidity?   :pot:

Must say, Fun & Frankie are not scared to "steek" it in the rain - we were flying back home after we left the garage!  :o

Offline DeonDj

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bethlehem
Thanks Ryperd,
A most enjoyable day until the lapse in concentration
I must admit - always read about a "highside" and hoped I would never be a recipient. Well I suppose "elke hond kry sy dag"
Walking like an old man today, Voltaren Gel and Arnica being applied in copius amounts

Thanks to ATGATT and EVO Jackets

Yes Plottie I know how you feel, also had my lapse of concentration last weekend, I think the prang of mine was also a highsided thing, a week on the pain is much less, Voltaren Gel works wonders, a voltaren injection is much better though, but yea life goes on and by friday I will be on the beast again, taking it slowly to the FS Bash, sterkte ;D
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....

Offline Zerc

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Pretoria
Thank Ryperd for a nice ride, I enjoyed it a lot. Here are a few of the pictures I took -
At the start
Plothond telling me to move out of the way
Funacide
Plothond with his first black tea of the day at our refreshment stop
The pillion rides who decided to stay with us

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
Sorry Zerc, that is just Plottie's sore finger. You will see that he held it up high numerous times throughout the day. I think he wacked it with a hammer or something.  :biggrin:

Nice pictures!  :thumleft:

Offline Zerc

• Pretoria
Some more photos -
Out late tea stop at the Duck and Trout
Fixing a KLR - the bracket at the back broke - A comment was made that if it was any other bike we would all be bitching and moaning because of the delay but because it's a KLR we just accept it  ;D  :pot:
Waiting for the fix to be completed
A couple of KTMs
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:54:50 pm by Zerc »

Offline Zerc

• Pretoria
Checking my GPS logs I see that the lowest point we were at was at 962m just before we reached the Biltong shop near Loskop dam, and the highest point was at 2156m just before we arrived in Dullstroom.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
To all on the trip, thanks for an awesome ride. The route out of Dullstroom was simply awesome..

Thanks for leading the ride Ryperd. And it black tea was fantastic. :pot:

Here are a few pics that I took during the day. (excuse the picture quality, I seem to have some water in the camera somewhere  ??? ???)

The meeting point

The road closed sign just after Cullinan

Just after the closed road section and a brief stop

JaBa explaining how to wheelie a Transalp  :imaposer:

Frankie

Zerc

The gang comes through led by the 2up Adv (sorry forgot your name :o)

Ryperd in full flow

JJred sliding through the corner :thumleft:

Frankie

Jaghond

2up Adv (Sorry again..)

JaBa

Plothond (aka... GateMaster or HighSideKing) L. Hope your knees are ok.

Zerc

The 2 950's on a pee break just before Dullstroom

JJ frantically cleaning his visor after hitting a mud puddle a little too fast

Ryperd, after a while of sitting at 100km in the rain I figured that if you went a bit faster  :biggrin: the visor clears easier...

Glad you all made it home ok, and thanks again for the ride.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
Nice ride, in a nice part of the world. Looks drier than I expected with all the recent rains. Nice and green though.

Zerc, if the Zumo was Zumoing I would love to merge the track with the one we did with Frog and compare. Some bit look slightly familiar.
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline Fugly

Looks like you had a good time :thumleft:
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Zerc

• Pretoria
Nice ride, in a nice part of the world. Looks drier than I expected with all the recent rains. Nice and green though.

Zerc, if the Zumo was Zumoing I would love to merge the track with the one we did with Frog and compare. Some bit look slightly familiar.

GG, here you go. We definitely did some of the same route.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Nice one guys. Those roads north of Cullinen still looks in great condition.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Chaps,
Thanks for the help on Saturday and the genuine concern displayed. I got a big skrik, just show the price you pay for being complacent.
My knees are very painful, butI'll be ok - you do not have to shoot me yet

I love this pic - the epitomy of Adventure Riding

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:17:31 am by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline jaghond

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Thanks all for a lekker ride.  ;D
What can i say if it wasn't for all the KTM spares in the topbox "thanks Plottie" the bolts shouldn't have broken.
KLR not made to carry KTM spares. :pot:
Thanks Ryperd for the help to fix the topbox , Funacide , Frankie & Plottie for the tie downs. :thumleft:
And all the rest of the guys for the moral support about Locktite & kLR's.  :laughing4:
Live to play. Play to live!

Offline GundaGunda

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
GG, here you go. We definitely did some of the same route.

Thanks Z - Actually not much overlap - just that bit from Loskop to Dullstroom. That pretty/rocky bit.

But now I have some new routes to explore !
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
wooo hooooo

when you said tea at dullstroom i took it literally,,,no way im riding so far for tea,,,???

but ja,,,,see a lotta katooms,,,there must be a nest nearby there,,,,

plottie,,,,

momentarily lapse of concentration,,,kak man,,,jy was gesuip (but dont tell blazes)

but all in all,,,,lets face it it was a great ride,,,,with the rain and problems
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Dakota

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Nice one   :thumleft:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

BMW 650 Dakar - don't get to ride it much anymore - my son has claimed it
Aprilia Dosodura 750 - My new bike - I love it
Husqvarna 610 TE (Sponsored) :-)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Chaps,
Thanks for the help on Saturday and the genuine concern displayed. I got a big skrik, just show the price you pay for being complacent.
My knees are very painful, butI'll be ok - you do not have to shoot me yet

I love this pic - the epitomy of Adventure Riding

Agree, very nice picture.  :thumleft:

Offline captain redheart

Thanks guys for a fantastic day! Jaghond thanks so much for the invite

Wishing you speedy recovery Plothond

Hope to join you all again soon...

Derek & Alida
(two up Adv)