Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1st Oct - JHB Newbie ride.  (Read 1666 times)

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
1st Oct - JHB Newbie ride.
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:03:06 pm »
Hi Guy's

Being a newbie I attended the ride with the fellas, ridding the canals at harties this was my first real DS outing and it was fantastic many to thanks shark and the other fellas!

Here's a couple of pics:

Meeting the fellas at Wimpy.

Tha UberThumper.

1 x UberThumper and pilot moa!

Amstel.

And we went up that moerse klip UberThumper and I made it but just!

This is BlouVark getting some assistance with the vark.

Amstel up, up and away!

Wino at the top.

G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

shark_za

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:13:04 pm »
We ended up riding a new route to the rock today, we took its easy after a hasty start and I think everyone enjoyed the ride. The route followed sections I had ridden on before with Wino and then linked up with a straight and long road running parallel to the thabazimbi road. We joined the canal at the spot we normally turn off to goto the rock and then went further on the canal to approach the rock from the other direction.
While the plan was to take it easy everyone rode up the rock, digitaldan zooming past and riding up the middle more difficult route. Everyone else went up the normal approach with the bigger bikes being a bit cautious.
Must say well done to Chris for not hesitating for a second and riding right up. Also to Blouvark for doing it on that big pig. Now you know why Welshies bashplate looks the way it does. The odd little stall and fall never put anyone off.

Funacide, Amstel and InsiderDirtRider hit the main road to head home while the rest of us did the usual 2nd canal in reverse, just skipping out the township outside Brits.

It was long, I did about 300km in total this morning, about 180-200 of that being dirt.
I'm sure Chris will be joining on future day rides, that was the whole purpose of today.

Thanks guys.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:42:58 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
We ended up riding a new route to the rock today, we took its easy after a hasty start and I think everyone enjoyed the ride. The route followed sections I had ridden on before with Wino and then linked up with a straight and long road running parallel to the thabazimbi road. We joined the canal at the spot we normally turn off to goto the rock and then went further on the canal to approach the rock from the other direction.
While the plan was to take it easy everyone rode up the rock, digitaldan zooming past and riding up the middle more difficult route. Everyone else went up the normal approach with the bigger bikes being a bit cautious.
Must say well done to Chris for not hesitating for a second and riding right up. Also to Blouvark for doing it on that big pig. Now you know why Welshies bashplate looks the way it does. The odd little stall and fall never put anyone off.

Funacide, Amstel and InsiderDirtRider hit the main road to head home while the rest of us did the usual 2nd canal in reverse, just skipping out the township outside Brits.

It was long, I did about 300km in total this morning, about 180-200 of that being dirt.
I'm sure Chris will be joining on future day rides, that was the whole purpose of today.

Thanks guys.

Cheers boys,

Sorry I could not make t.

Welsh  :evil:
Putting the Drunken Pagan Debauchery back into Christmas.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 11:36:22 pm »
Great ride and nice to meet some members. Couple of moments - a Shark running over a dassie, the Drz losing it's lights (literally), zooming up what I thought was the easy climb ! Oh and Funacide doing a Alfie Cox slide to stay out of the canal. Nice riding with ya fellas again !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

D7

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 07:14:03 am »
Not the ride I would have liked to miss....
curses... :(

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 08:00:53 am »
On the way to the meet up:

Eventually we got to the klip ? no one stayed behind.

Fun, Shark and IDR doing their rendition of YMCA at the top:

Amstel flying up:

Is the front wheel in the air, or is it a mere optical illusion?

Savouring the moment:

DD coming down ? compared to the other bikes that went up the klip the drz looked like a mountain bok. This is the easy part of the trip down:

Fun:

Amstel coming down ? not a virgin anymore:

Following in the footsteps of howie zowie who test rode a kle on the klip ? IDR:

Chrisb coming down ? well done!!

One mean looking blouvark! er, the bike, that is:

Shark coming down

All safe at the bottom

Nice meeting chris and amstel! Thanks to shark for a cool route!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 08:01:22 am »
Quote from: "digitaldan"
Great ride and nice to meet some members. Couple of moments - a Shark running over a dassie, the Drz losing it's lights (literally), zooming up what I thought was the easy climb ! Oh and Funacide doing a Alfie Cox slide to stay out of the canal. Nice riding with ya fellas again !

Shark seems to be making a habit of this, last time he rode over a Puff Adder I think?

Welsh  :?

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:21:51 am »
BIG thank you to Shark for a really nice ride & route, it was a lot of fun.

The route offered everything from hard pack dirt highway to a little bit of twee spoor up to the big rock & the occasional sandy section. It was my first visit to the big rock & I managed to stall & drop :oops:  the BlouVark going up but eventually got her on top with the second attempt :roll:  I really want to go again & get it right.(hint, hint)

Simply amazing watching DD going up the rock on the steeper middle route, awesome bike (& skill) you got there.

ChrisB, Amstel & DD, it was really nice meeting you guys.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Kev

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 09:27:34 am »
Quote from: "digitaldan"

Cool! Adventure and excitement!! :thumbup:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 10:27:59 am »
Awesome guys! Nice turnup and everyone went to the top! 8)

Is the front wheel in the air, or is it a mere optical illusion?

Hehe. My very first "wheely" was up the klip. Involuntary and heart stopping! :shock:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:32:53 pm »
Nice, i missed a good one again :(  :cry:  :oops:

I hear the kilp calling my name..

Well done all...so the klip is a newbie ride now.... :shock:

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 03:51:45 pm »
Hey guys thanks for an awesome ride and Sharkie thanks for leading the pack. Twas nice to ride in the area again and the rock always makes for good fun.

Well done to Chris, Blouvark and Amstel for completing the rock, Chris on his first DS ride. Respect dude....

Lets do it again soon!!!

Pitty there was only one newbie there!!
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 04:38:16 pm »
Cool ride.
Sorry I missed it.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 08:59:12 am »
Some of my pics of Sundays ride to the rock.

ChrisB

Wino

First smoke break.

Some old house next to the road.

Another smoke break

"Koos se kilm" at the rock. This picture does not come close to show how steep this really is :shock:

Wino & Funacide on top of the rock.

All of us on top taking a breather.

Trans Alp in marine mode :D

Thanks again to everyone for the ride.

Kev

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 10:34:43 am »
Quote from: "BlouVark"

"Koos se kilm" at the rock. This picture does not come close to show how steep this really is :shock:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  It looks plenty steep in that photo! Is the traction good? Anyone got a sidways picture of The Rock to show its steepness?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 11:15:35 am »
Quote from: "Kev"

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  It looks plenty steep in that photo! Is the traction good? Anyone got a sidways picture of The Rock to show its steepness?

The big problem, is that what the picture does not show is the transition from flat to vertical is almost 90 degrees, so you cannot run at it, you have to sort of trundle up slowly, take the weight off the front then give it a big handful without flipping it, I think that is the theory anyway.
Grip is good.

Welsh  8)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 11:26:15 am »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
Nice, i missed a good one again :(  :cry:  :oops:

I hear the kilp calling my name..

Well done all...so the klip is a newbie ride now.... :shock:

Just remember, the mud demon is wispering he is waiting for you, when the rains come and the canals are just goo. It makes a difference, when by the time the newbs get to the rock (if they get there) they are physically finished!

Welsh  :twisted:

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 11:27:51 am »
Quote from: "African Welsh"
Quote from: "Kev"

The big problem, is that what the picture does not show is the transition from flat to vertical is almost 90 degrees, so you cannot run at it, you have to sort of trundle up slowly, take the weight off the front then give it a big handful without flipping it, I think that is the theory anyway.
Grip is good.

Welsh  8)

...and someone else's bike, something like a KTM 950 R SuperEnduro :wink: should do the trick!

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:41 am »
Please note that we did not even attempt to go up the rock at "Koos se klim". There are three routes up, DD took the middle one while the rest of us took the third which is not nearly as steep, but steep enough for me :shock:

Like Welsh said, traction is good, the secret is momentum, which I found out the hard way :oops:

Offline Leon H

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 12:59:24 am »
Good report guys - nice day trip that one!  You guys have a good riding group, and it's always very excellent when you get to see the one ride through the eyes of a few different riders 8)

Hey shark how did the raising links feel?  Was that the first time you tested the off road? :?:
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"