Gerhardsville, Shurveberg, Canal road, Zuurplaats and Breedtsnek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tweetie and myserlf decided to go on a short trip in our backyard on 15/03/2009. He was appointed as the photoman. We headed for Gerhardsville from the west just to test the roads because we had heavy rain the previuous night. About 30mm in a matter of half an hour. There was a few soft patches but it seemed OK and we continued towards Schurveberg - that road was almost dry, there was even dust on it. At the low water crossing at the Hennops we were stopped in our tracks as the current was very strong and the overflow was about 300 - 400mm. We made a detour through Attridgeville towards the Canal road. Attridgeville was an eye-opener in many ways - really the poorest of the poor - I expected some hostility but was rewarded with friendliness.

Just before Harties we turned off at Jasmyn and visited the "station" because Tweetie thought maybe we could cross the dam at the back via the old railway line and bridge. We rode up to the bridge with a footpath and walked over the bridge, but on the otherside there was no sign of any path. As soon as I got my small bike I'll go back there and explore a little bit more.

The Canal road was a different story - Mr Mudmonster was present! and dictaded every movement on his terrirory. Tweetie ended up in some bushes at the side of the road and eventually rode on the grass next to the road. I stayed with Mr Mud to get some practice and exercise.

From Brits we headed towards Mooinooi and onto the Zuurplaats road towards Rustenburg/Buffelspoort, beautiful scenery with a scary moment here and there as well as deep dongas in the road. From there we came back on the tar to the Breedtsnek turnoff. Breedtsnek was ok although the rain damaged the road badly at certain places.

All in all a very nice trippie. We did about 300 km, we left at 07:00 a.m. and was back at home by 2:00 p.m. Hope Tweetie will post some photos for you - do not expect a lot of photo footage as it was actually not easy to stop (slippery).