Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SA tour in june  (Read 3583 times)

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
Re: SA tour in june
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
I've never been a good photographer. I usually think of moments that I should've shot with my camera when the moments long gone...

But I've got some pictures, will do a report when Im back home

I can understand words of the Afrikaans, hard to follow conversations. The pronounciation is very different from Dutch. But when written I can understand it fairly easy  :thumleft:

Today is Harley day in St Lucia. There's a bikers gathering. Loud & noisy bikes they have.
I'm no competition to them, I have a standard muffler :(

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:27 pm »
Sorry I could'nt make it. I saw all the harley on my way to durban, about 200....I spoke to Winston, he is down in Uvongo south coast and will give you a call. Enjoy hope you have a LEKKER time.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 06:34:52 am »
Looking forward to your RR!! for now, just enjoy SA and be safe! :ricky:

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 10:08:45 am »
Tuesday i arrived in East London. I got into contact with metaljockey. He was very kind to let me stay over. Was kind of a hassle though to meet up because I f'ed up with the directions. Had a good night of sleep. With some routes in my pocket I left the next morning to Jeffreys Bay.

Well, arrived in Jeffreys Bay yesterday. Met some people, had a braai and a drink. After that, we went to a bar and i dont know what they put in the drinks here. I have a slight headache and my legs are all wobbly, mouth feels dry. What ahppened? Where did it go wrong?

I had plans to go through the baviaans today, but since they poisoned my drinks i think ill stay for another day. Friday then Ill be heading out to Oudshoorns, Uniondale or Willowmore, tour around for a day or two in the western cape. After that I head back to pretoria through Lesotho.

Meanwhile my Garmin GPS broke down. It wont start. The battery is flat and it wont recharge. I think Ill try to get it sorted today, hopefully...

Anyone have a suggestion of a shop around Jeffreys where they sell Garmin stuff?

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 10:59:35 am »
Hi Buddy, phone garmin on 0861 427 627 or 011 251 9999. They should be able to give you the nearest dealer. Good luck with Biviaans.......

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 01:38:06 pm »
i've been to a Garmin dealership. I spoke with Garmin on the phone. I have to send it in for repairs, there's nothing they can do. Well to bad, i'll just have to manage the old fashioned way...

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:19 pm »
are you still going through the Baviaans tomorrow? you going through patensie or taking the R332?
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »
I think ill take the R332. But since i now navigate using roadsigns and not GPS, Ill take whatever road the signs point me to...  ::)

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:56 pm »
Been through Baviaans today. Was a tiresome but rewarding ride
Never dropped the bike, not even in the wet bits  8) Got some good pictures. The Nuwe kloof was amazing aswell.
The roads were very bumpy on some climbs or descents. But was all doable to my surprise.
I just arrived in Oudtshoorn. From the looks off it a very quiet, old and relaxed town.

Tomorrow some cruising around the various passes. Sunday I will be on my way back to pretoria, but I plan on taking a scenic route through Lesotho. If there's anybody  out there up for Lesotho, let me know! :)

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »
Meanwhile, well underway to Indwe, I decided to change my plans.
The weather reports were predicting snow. Not safe in my opinion in the mountains. Especially when I have to be back in Pretoria the 25th. Too little time, to kak weather :(

So, i changed direction north and am in Bloemfontein now. Will drive to Pretoria tomorrow. The remaining days I will sightsee Pretoria and tour in the surrounding areas.

Well, makes up for a great excuse to come back and do Lesotho :D

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:23 pm »
DH, have a safe trip to Pretoria, seems like it is going to be a wet one. This has been the wettest June I can remember, usually this time of year is just cold. (Listening to what sounds like hail on my roof!!)
Sorry you had such poor weather. :-[

Offline william wallace

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • life uncensored
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:40 pm »
DH my bru, it's a pitty you could not do Lesotho. And that I at this late stage saw that you are in Bloem. We should have took you some places man.
And we could even arranged to ride a stretch of road with you tomorrow.
But I hope you'll have a fantastic last few kays here down in SA.

geniet dit jonge!
impulsive acts seldom dissapoint.....

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 04:28:51 pm »
It is a pitty! Went to bed early and left early aswell. I arrived in Pretoria by 14:00. Damn, it was cold in Bloemfontein. And since I was sleeping in a big old factory, that didnt help either :)

Have already been to the hairsalon in a big mall to get rid of my afro.
Probably Ill be touring around Pretoria. Im sure Sama Motorcycle Tours, where I rented the bike, knows some good routes.

Offline daviecrocket

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »
I recently spent a weekend in kosi bay at what seemed like a delightful little place called thobeka lodge. It’s a stunningly set up and well put together place with a nice atmosphere “when the owner isn’t around” however what we experienced was nothing like we expected. What happened was we didn’t have a 4x4 so instead of paying the ridiculous prices to get a lift to the beach we decided to walk; it was a nice 25 minute walk. When we got back that day we where asked by a nice group tourists who where also staying at thobeka how the walk was so we told them that it was a nice walk and was definitely worth it. The next day I was called into the owners office and asked to leave before our stay their was finished. The reason we were given was that we had lost the owner R450 because the people were no longer getting a lift from the owner, and that the R75 that we paid each night wasn’t worth the risk of letting us stay their, we were then told by the owner that he didn’t like having south Africans at his lodge “which was funny since more than half the people staying at his south African based lodge where from south Africa” I am not sure why he doesn’t like having south Africans their but I suspect it is because it is harder to rip them off. I encourage everybody to go visit this wonderful area but unfortunately I can’t recommend thobeka lodge because of the sour taste it has left in my mouth.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:51 am »
I think you have it wrong, the R450 is for a tour or an excursion. its not just a drop on drop off pay R450.......I know Mike well and I dont believe he would ask you to leave without a very good reason.

Offline daviecrocket

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:54 pm »
nope it was just for a drop off we spoke to the guests later who ended up going with him. maybe we just saw a bad side of him, i was realy confused along with every other guest in the lodge who seemed to agree with our opinion of him. but as i say maybe we just caught him at a bad time.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:08 am »
Maybe he needs a bike.

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:08 am »
you here ?
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 08:49:06 am »
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:51 am »
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton