SA tour in june

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkhelmet

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
From the 6th till the 26th of June I'll be in SA for a bike trip by myself.

I will rent a BMW F650GS from Samatours in Pretoria and start touring on monday the 8th of June.
I have no experience yet with non-tarmac roads, but I'm not shy of a bit of gravel  ;)

Since I haven't been to South Africa before, I hope you guys can give me some tips for the tour (maybe even GPS coordinates, waypoints and POIs  ::) )

The plan is roughly for the 18 days I have: Pretoria -> Mpumalanga -> Swaziland -> KZN -> Lesotho -> Eastern Cape -> Western Cape (CT) -> Northern Cape back to Pretoria by Highway in max 3 days

I know I'll be putting out a lot of kilometers a day. But between 300 and 400 I think is doable for me.
Of course plans are there to change, so for example if the weather is letting me down, I'll reroute
Are the mountains in Western & Eastern Cape doable in june? Is it constant rain or could it very well be dry for the most of the time?
All the best parts (Passes and Kloofs) people tell me and I read about seem to be in the Eastern/Western Cape...

So let me know what you think :)