Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The number plate issue  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: The number plate issue
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
Manic , that seems to be a common problem on the FJR's !!
Mine is getting the chainlube -and -dust treatment once in a while ! >:D
It's about all the XR and FJR have in common : They both use chainlube !! ;D

Chain lube  ??? My FJR is shaft drive....

Offline Fugly

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
Perhaps he means FZR ???
Don’t worry about things that aren’t, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline TK-Ten

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 04:53:02 pm »
Manic , that seems to be a common problem on the FJR's !!
Mine is getting the chainlube -and -dust treatment once in a while ! >:D
It's about all the XR and FJR have in common : They both use chainlube !! ;D

Chain lube  ??? My FJR is shaft drive....

I didn't say that my FJR needs chainlube , said that it is the only thing my XR and FJR share .
For the Xr on the chain , for the FJR on the numberplate !! Geddit ? >:D
Find ecstacy in life , the mere sense of living is joy enough .
KTM990 ADV . XR650R . FJR1300A . Yamaha Grizzly 550 4x4 . Kawasaki GTR1400

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:47 pm »
 :biggrin: :thumleft:

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 12:10:43 pm »
Ka-ching!

See, the gods do have a sense of humour. I enter into a number plate discussion a few days ago and look what happens....

There I am doing an errand this morning, decided to take the bike.

As I get onto the M5 I pass a biker cop riding slowly behind another cop car. 1k down the way he pulls me over.

Mmmmm. I could be in trouble for a whole lot more than speeding.

I was travelling pretty quickly but not overly so, about 120 in the 100 zone. He says take, “Take your helmet off”.

He doesn’t say anything more while he inspects my license disc and then goes to the back of the bike. Goes back to the license disc.

“What’s your plate number?”

I repeat the right one. He says, “Correct, but that’s not what’s back there. You not only have a non-SABS approved plate but you are defeating the ends of justice with the wrong last digit”

He says nothing more, but is getting out his book. So with nothing to do while he is writing up all this up I take a walk around his Honda Pan Euro. Nice bike and say so. I notice he seems to have taken a tumble on the left. Looks like it just fell over. I comment on this but he just grunts and starts asking my details.

He says, “Remove your number plate”

Ok, as soon as I get home.

“No, now!”

Nothing for it but to bust it off. It’s bolted on and I didn’t feel like breaking out my tools.

I wander back to him with the bits in my pocket. “I got almost all of it off, just a sliver left”

“Where’s it?”

“Here”, as I pull the pieces out of my jacket pocket and put them back again.

He seems really annoyed, “give them here!”

From here I didn’t quite know what was going to happen and he did seem to write quite a bit down. I even contemplated what I was going to have to say to my wife who would have to come and fetch me from the cop station. I had read somewhere that they impound bikes with false plates on.

Then he read me the ticket.

“Blab la bla... R300.00 Bla bla... and you will have a legal plate on by the end of today!”

I noticed that he was really angry reading this to me. He lips were tight and he was showing classic anger symptoms.

So I said, “You really are quite angry with me aren’t you? I am sorry and apologise, but I am wondering why you would be so worked up about this?”

“You were riding like an idiot and you have an illegal plate”

I let the first accusation slide, it was a perception that I didn’t share, “True, but that’s not a reason to be angry with me?”

He said nothing but was really not looking peaceful. I asked why he stopped me.

“I can stop anyone, and I always stop illegal plated bikes” He hissed.

He was not responding well to this discussion, but seeing as he was starting to boil up and I had only gotten a R300.00 fine (I thought I was going to be in for much much more), I didn’t push my luck anymore and left it at that.

As he was starting up, a bike came past with no plate on.

He didn’t go after him but carried on to the N1?

My take on the whole thing...

I think he just wants to come to the dark side, but can’t afford to yet. You know how I know? He knew the type and model of the bike even with my aftermarket tanks on.

Moral of the story; If you ride a KTM and aren’t legal, stay away from Mr Sinclair on a Pan European Honda.

I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Fugly

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »
:imaposer: sorry boet! I just had a good chuckle!
Don’t worry about things that aren’t, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 12:53:22 pm »
Love it when it looks like they're about to snap their bra straps! R300 does seem to be a bit of a bargain.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:13 pm »
Love it when it looks like they're about to snap their bra straps! R300 does seem to be a bit of a bargain.

Just checked;

Motor vehicle with number plates not SABS approved  - R500

Motor vehicle with plates not applicable – Court

He was being nice.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 01:25:27 pm »
brilliant description of events  ;D

There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 01:42:34 pm »

Offline dust rat

• Flower fountain
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:27 pm »
i was stopped by a cop in bloem, R500.00 for illegal plate.I then asked him what the fine would be if I had no number plate

R100.00 he said ,doesnt make sense to me but what does in our legal system
From the minute you born you start dying so live life

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • This site contains cookies.....
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
I think he was teasing you, no numberplate is "go to court" and Bike on police trailer stories.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 01:53:00 pm »
i was stopped by a cop in bloem, R500.00 for illegal plate.I then asked him what the fine would be if I had no number plate

R100.00 he said ,doesnt make sense to me but what does in our legal system

makes perfect sense to me. Illegal plates, whether undersized or dyslexic, is a deliberate attempt to undermine the law.
missing plate could have a completely innocent explanation, especially on a DS bike that does a lot of gravel roads

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:24 pm »
This was from "another" forum.....To much trouble for me, just fit a bloody legal numberplate and safe you all the hassle.

BikeSA
The Serious Side of Motorcycling => Serious Biking Talk => Topic started by: Arcticflipper on March 17, 2009, 09:30:51 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Impounding of bikes
Post by: Arcticflipper on March 17, 2009, 09:30:51 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok seeing how the Metro seems to be on a high these days, I've unfortunately had the brand of their campaign.

Yes I was in the wrong by not displaying a numberplate, and take full responsability for this, give me the fine, no problem, even take the bike off the road (Take my license disc) no problem there either.
But what I do have a problem with is what happens after the Metro now decided to impound your vehicle.

You now have to use their towing service, doesn't matter if they have the correct equipment to safely remove your vehicle or not, nor do they nor the Metro take responsability for any damage to the vihicle.

The towing services moered my bike over when they dropped it off at the impound, breaking the bottom cowl and damaging the right side of the bike, fairings, tank, etc.

So what now?

Now I have to go and make a civil case against the Metro as they were the instructional party and the towing service was only contracted to them.

First thing to remember - DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM THE TOWING SERVICE
Second - DO NOT GIVE THEM OR LEAVE YOUR KEYS ON THE BIKE.

It took me a full 4 hours to get the fine paid, bike released from the pound, roadworthy test done at AA and legal numberplate fitted, and the bike back on Natis system registered.

So what did they gain? Buggerall. They made R200.00 for the fine, and now have a bill on the repairs for the damage to the bike of R18 000.00 so far, excluding the Lawyers fees and also the towing service contract price of R350.00.

The logic behind this completely escapes me.

Why will they simply just not listen to us?

Here is what I propose in this situation.
No one has a problem with the fat that you get a fine, nor that the bike is even taken off the road and you have to go get it roadworthied again and re-registered. That's not the problem, and yes I do understand that Metro has a dificult job as it is.
BUT

If your contracted towing service does not have the proper equipment to tow the vehicle then rather let the rider take the bike to the impound, I mean come on you've allready verified the details and given him the fine and taken the bike off the road. Where's he going to go? YOu know where he lives.... Idiots

Instead of all this, why not just give the fine (municipality fine for no numberplate is R1000.00) even take the license disc (have to then go and get a roadworthy done again) and then tell the owner that he or she has x-amount of time to get the vehicle tested again or it will be removed from enatis. They can then also tell you that when you pay the fine, and bring the roadworthy with that you can then collect the license disc from the Metro official Office.

I had to pay a fine of R200.00 and take the receipt with to the pound before I could get my bike released, but what has changed since the bike was impounded? It was impounded due to no numberplate, and the morning when I collected it it still had no numberplate? I rode the bike out without any questions asked. No cop stopped me afterwards, and I did spend a lot of time running around asking what and who is now liable for the damage caused by them. So that's the logic that escapes me.

Besides me now getting targetted by Metro, getting stopped every morning and every evening for "routine inspections", and I'm having so much fun with them ... lol
Today I will suggest a search for concealed weapons, and also mention that I would like to have a search with a happy ending... lol

" no you missed it... little to the right, bit more, bit more, you missed it again...." lol

But yeah so is life! By the end of this week I will know a couple of them on a much more personal level... lol ... let's just say it will be more than first name basis stories... bwhahahahahahahaha

I'm still going on with the civil case against the state and the towing service, nothing they can do will affect me in any way concerning this desicion, and I might just bring in harrasment into this too... let them carry on and have their 15 minutes of fame (Power trip while they write the paperwork - fine, impound documents) lol

Offline Paulsky

• If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »
So do you have a legal plate now?
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 02:27:53 pm »
yes....

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 02:35:03 pm »
oops....its the wrong way around..again....

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 02:49:15 pm »
hey paulsky I saw a cop riding around town showing off a KTM999EC plate on his dashboard...... what happend???
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:24 pm »
So do you have a legal plate now?

Yep the old one is in the garage, but...

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:42 pm »
I think he was teasing you, no numberplate is "go to court" and Bike on police trailer stories.

That is what happens here in JHB.

Rather get the legal plate on, and stick a Wild Dog sticker over the nrs. For that you only get a fine.......