Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The number plate issue  (Read 3278 times)

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: The number plate issue
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2009, 10:34:33 am »
After my experiences in SA courts I have opted to keep the Air Brake on my KLR thanks... sterkte for you okes that want to tread that path... >:D

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2009, 11:13:21 am »
Vat nou my raad. Ek was al in die Hof met n spoed van 221kph in n 120kph zone.

Vind uit WIE die landdros of aanklaer whatever(vergeet altyd wie is wie) daar gaan wees daai dag, die ene wat met jou saak gaan werk.

Gaan voor die tyd en praat met hom/haar, se jy is skuldig en jy wil graag die boete uitsort buite die hof. 99% vd tyd sal jy met hom/haar kan ooreenkom wat die boete gaan wees, jy betaal dit en jy voertsek.

Vermy die binnekant vd hof so ver as wat jy kan!!!! Daar gaan jy af chop! Moet ook nie daai dag NIE opdaag nie. Hulle reik net daar n lasbrief uit en sal joudieselfde middag nog kom haal!

My boete was tussen R25 000 en R45 000. EK het voor die tyd gaan mooi praat, en het weg gekom met net n R4000 boete, ek was nie eers binne in die hof nie.

Vermy die hof, daar wil almal shine vang en van jou n "voorbeeld" maak, jy gaan af chop!!

EK het ook nie n prokureur gevat nie. Ek was alleen daar in en uit........

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:09 am »
Another choice is to try to talk to the Prosecutor first - plead poverty, stupidity, etc etc - lots of 'Ja meneer, Nee meneer' ..... - This worked in the 'Old SA' - but I fortunately have not had reason to go and do this recently - so I don't know if it still works ????

I suspect that the officer wanted your false number plate for evidence - so he intends to see you in court - as you said, he was P!ssed. Best you avoid meeting him there if at all possible.

Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2009, 03:49:10 pm »
Did your plate just have an extra digit on the end? ... Silly plate makers mistake?  Slip of the finger maybe??? :ricky:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:55:28 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:19 pm »
Did your plate just have an extra digit on the end? ... Sill plate makers mistake?  Slip of the finger maybe??? :ricky:

I had one of those plates on an ex-bike...the 6 and the 9 got swopped round. easy mistake for the printer to make (I would claim).
I never received a fine and the cops never checked.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2009, 08:02:25 am »
Did your plate just have an extra digit on the end? ... Sill plate makers mistake?  Slip of the finger maybe??? :ricky:

I had one of those plates on an ex-bike...the 6 and the 9 got swopped round. easy mistake for the printer to make (I would claim).
I never received a fine and the cops never checked.

You can also ad that you recently lost the plate and had a new one made, with the mistake by the printer, and now bolted it on and had to break it off when the cop stopped you.

shark_za

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2009, 08:07:02 am »
The printer could lose their SABS rating, their name appears on the plate.
But if it does not have the SABS mark and the names on it cant be traced.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2009, 10:31:54 am »
another way is to get the sabs mark off a legal plate, & find some really unscrupulous plate maker to incorporate it into your new plate..
 >:D
Alcohol is essentially natureís Leatt Brace Ė with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:54 am »
another way is to get the sabs mark off a legal plate, & find some really unscrupulous plate maker to incorporate it into your new plate..
 >:D

my plate is way undersized. the plate maker was kind enough to put a SABS mark on it. As well as a non-existant dealer number
they had no problem making it for me. As far as they are concerned I intend to use the plate as a bar decoration

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2009, 05:28:23 pm »
Depending where and how I am going to ride I remove my plate.

Since I had a tyre to test at over 180km/h  I removed my plate.

With no plate on I bump into yesterday's Beyers Naude road block at the Cresta Mall enroute to Full Throttle. I simply rode past the metro cop that signalled me to stop, turned left at the next street , right at the following and right into Full Throttles walled parking yard. Browsed around for 30 min and went home.

8)

B.T.W.........FT is becomming expensive.

Ama, you always have the excuse that you never heard him telling you to stop.... :biggrin:

Out of experience I know the judge would ask..."are you saying that you had no idea what a "stop" hand signal means? :biggrin:

Bt you thought he was just waving 'hello'................ :biggrin: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2009, 01:07:36 pm »
Still thinking of using flippers and other sizes and what not? This guy's bike was impounded in JHB, and charged with defeating the ends of justice.

http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=28324
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:08:27 pm by michnus »

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »
Still thinking of using flippers and other sizes and what not? This guy's bike was impounded in JHB, and charged with defeating the ends of justice.

http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=28324

Have to register to see that. 
I suppose he was caught while using whatever he had.

Normally the device is legal and you can use it on private property (depending on device and reason)
...but using such a device on public roads is seriously illegal.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »
What he said.

Yesterday, 10:52 AM
So, this morning on my way to a breakfast run, I stop at the garage to meet my friends. They tell me my plate is "up". I look, see that it is , fix it and then proceed for a cup of coffee before we set off.

But before I can get my helmet off I'm surrounded by about 4-5 metro officers who then inspect my plate, and then arrest me for "defeating the ends of justice".

They then ride my bike to the pound (with my helmet nogals!) because getting a trailer would cost me another R3k.

Anyways, 3 hours and lots of paperwork and sitting in smelly holding cells later, I got released on bail.

My bike will be at the impound till tomorrow and I have to appear in court on Tuesday.

Now I've been meaning to "fix" the flipper plate that's been on my bike but never got around to it. Now I really really wish I had.

Anyone know what's the best way to handle this? The metro cop wrote a two page report which I didn't get to see, but I think he also accused me of reckless riding and speeding, cuase he saw me filtering past 1 car to get to the front of the robot before turning into the garage.

Is defeating the ends of justice considered a criminal offence?? Can I not plead guilty to a lesser offence? How does this work?

Thakns for the advice guys.

Went to pick the bike up this morning. R120 impound fees to pay. Bike seems fine. I enquired about towing and strange enough the fees for towing would have been R395. Not R3000 like the officers told me.... I smell a rat.

Went to see the prosecutor. He seems to think it warrants only a traffic fine and not a court hearing, but said he cannot comment until he has read the officers docket and gets his side of the story. The case is tomorrow and the docket will only be sent to the prosecutor then. So I have to go there tomorrow.

Went to the police station where I was held and they say that I cannot read the docket. So I cannot see what I'm being accused off?? They say it's priviledged and only for my lawers eyes. ??????? I know the officer probably wrote that I was riding wrecklessly etc. Cause just arresting me for the plate would probably seem too trivial? Now he had about 4 other metro cops there who would probably stand witness to his version of events. This is kinda messed up.

Also strange to me is that while I was there in the south, I saw quite a few bikes with no plates. I got to that area 1 day with a semi-legal plate and get arrested.

Hopefully this can all be cleared up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:36:51 pm by michnus »

Offline Fugly

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2009, 01:50:08 pm »
Keep us in the loop please uncle Michnus :thumleft:
Donít worry about things that arenít, worry about things that are and your decisions are so much easier to make!

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »
That "alternate charge" box, surely its fine 1 and 2 or 3 it is ticked?

Just wondering because I have R500 and R300 and R200 but the box is ticked.

Sorry Kamanya, but this is worse than just a R300 fine :
- Charge no. 1 is for the no SABS - R300
- Charge no. 2 if for displaying a false number plate : No A.G. (Admission of guilt) - ie. you must go to court  :-[

The second charge is not an alternate charge, it is an additional charge......

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings ......
Tony

Faarrrrk!

Havenít been following this thread. This is a bit of a fright.

Will have to go talk to the prosecutor sharpish.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline TerrorSA

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »
Keep the plate standard is the answer  :thumleft:
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
Keep the plate standard is the answer  :thumleft:

Never agreed more?
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline JC

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2009, 07:10:37 pm »
That "alternate charge" box, surely its fine 1 and 2 or 3 it is ticked?

Just wondering because I have R500 and R300 and R200 but the box is ticked.

Sorry Kamanya, but this is worse than just a R300 fine :
- Charge no. 1 is for the no SABS - R300
- Charge no. 2 if for displaying a false number plate : No A.G. (Admission of guilt) - ie. you must go to court  :-[

The second charge is not an alternate charge, it is an additional charge......

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings ......
Tony

Faarrrrk!

Havenít been following this thread. This is a bit of a fright.

Will have to go talk to the prosecutor sharpish.

now with the other thread (e.a. judge dread) resurrecting this one:

what was the final outcome?

Offline Wasp

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »
If you change your digits it's jail-time. Defeating the ends of justice,  and the burden of proof moves to you SINCE THE STATE REST THEIR CASE... JOUR OUNER.  DON'T DO IT!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:00 pm »
Vat nou my raad. Ek was al in die Hof met n spoed van 221kph in n 120kph zone.

Vind uit WIE die landdros of aanklaer whatever(vergeet altyd wie is wie) daar gaan wees daai dag, die ene wat met jou saak gaan werk.

Gaan voor die tyd en praat met hom/haar, se jy is skuldig en jy wil graag die boete uitsort buite die hof. 99% vd tyd sal jy met hom/haar kan ooreenkom wat die boete gaan wees, jy betaal dit en jy voertsek.

Vermy die binnekant vd hof so ver as wat jy kan!!!! Daar gaan jy af chop! Moet ook nie daai dag NIE opdaag nie. Hulle reik net daar n lasbrief uit en sal joudieselfde middag nog kom haal!

My boete was tussen R25 000 en R45 000. EK het voor die tyd gaan mooi praat, en het weg gekom met net n R4000 boete, ek was nie eers binne in die hof nie.

Vermy die hof, daar wil almal shine vang en van jou n "voorbeeld" maak, jy gaan af chop!!

EK het ook nie n prokureur gevat nie. Ek was alleen daar in en uit........

I need this type of advice, I have a notification that a court summons is on the way, I was clocked at 123km/h in an 80km/h zone, farking highway modifications..... >:D
It was Peaches' car, but I was driving....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!