Accessory plug on KLE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzlightyear

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
So I decided it is time to get a small compressor for inflating the tyres at the end of dirt/start of tar. But obviously I would need a power point, and my powerpoint did not come with a bike attached, ag I mean my bike did not come with a power point attached.

So it was time for some DIY.

The parts needed:
1 Hella male plug - R35
1 Hella female plug - R45
2 x 1m 13A wire (red & black) - R6
1m sleeve to protect the wires - R7
1 cable tie - ?
1 x Blade fuse holder - R9
2 x 7.5A blade fuses - R2
insulation tape - ?
3 x 5.5m terminals - R9 for packet of 10
mat black aerosol spray paint (colour of your choice)
paint stripper (if scrap metal currently painted like in my case)
piece of left over metal for bracket (about 1.5mm thick)
2 x 5mm bolts and nuts - 57c
4 x washers - 18c
liquid refreshments (optional)
time (lots if not regularly mechanically active like me)

Equipment needed:
flat screw driver
drill
5mm drillbit
6mm drillbit
crimping tool
hacksaw
small round file
bench grinder

Procedure:
The first step was to find a suitable piece of scrap metal lying around the garage to use as a bracket. I quiclky found a piece, already bent. Marked the desired size and cut it out with the hacksaw.

The next step was to apply paint stripper to clean the bracket. Then used the bench grinder to square it into shape and round the edges.

Next I drilled a hole on the left side of the bracket (as viewed in the last photo) to mount to the bottom of the carrier. Held it to the bottom of the carrier on the right hand side of the tail light and marked a point on the top of the carrier to drill a second hole, as it only has one hole. Then drilled the 2nd hole in the carrier and held the bracket against the carrier to mark the 2nd hole on the bracket.

Now it was time to make the big hole for the female Hella plug. This hole needs to be almost 20mm in diameter, and a drill this size is > R100 at Brights. So I marked the required size, and drilled a few small holes round the edges, and finished it off with the round file.

Now the bracket was complete, so it got a coat of matt black.

Time for the wiring. Attached a terminal to the one side of the fuse holder, this goes onto the positive battery terminal with the existing wire. Attached the red wire to the other side of the fuse holder. Attached a terminal to the black wire, this goes on the ground terminal on the battery together with the existing wire. Routed the wires along the right hand side frame underneath the frame towards the back to measure the distance, and cut to required length. Slide protective sleeve over both wires, and cut to required length. Slide sleeve over both wires, and attach sleeve to frame with cable tie near the cross member. Attach a terminal to the negative (earth) wire, this will be fastened with the one bolt of the bracket.

Now it was time to attach the female plug to the bracket. Removed the retaining nut, put it through the hole, and tightened the retaining nut. Then attached the positive (red) wire to the terminal on the plug, and attached the bracket to the carrier, fastening the terminal of the earth wire with one of the bolts.

Now it was time to cut off the cigarette lighter plug from the compressor, put on the male Hella plug, and test it. Voila, we have lift off!

The completed job (protective cover open):
photo0169hk0.jpg

View from the top:
photo0170bt1.jpg

No tools were harmed in the process.

Nicki