Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Dealership not interested in doing business.  (Read 1653 times)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Re: BMW Dealership not interested in doing business.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »
I am still waiting for that call.   

Needless to say, I am not going back there...  My money are good enough anywhere else but not at BMW dealership in Bellville. 

You may be 43rd on the list by now

Friend of mine up here in Gauteng also did a impulse buy of the 800GS. Decided. Week later got it. Brand new. As I understand it, the waiting lists are not that long anymore.? Or did he get lucky?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 01:47:39 pm »
I am still waiting for that call.   

Needless to say, I am not going back there...  My money are good enough anywhere else but not at BMW dealership in Bellville. 

You may be 43rd on the list by now

Friend of mine up here in Gauteng also did a impulse buy of the 800GS. Decided. Week later got it. Brand new. As I understand it, the waiting lists are not that long anymore.? Or did he get lucky?

the list is not that long but what happen is

lots of guys put their names on the list

then their bike gets here then they dont want it any more or they got something else etc then they bike does not go to the next person in line - it goes to whoever phones them the most, whoever bitch and moans the mosts etc etc

if you make a nuisance of yourself i'm sure you will skip the queue pretty quick

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »
Makes sense. He just phoned and got an answer that they have one on the floor. Lucky then, I guess.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline FatOldSun

• Pack Dog
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 02:34:18 pm »
I had the cash with me, ready to buy/pay Cash.  Can you make more fuss than that? 
'celebrate we will cuz life is short but sweet for certain...'  Dave Matthews

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 02:43:50 pm »
I had the cash with me, ready to buy/pay Cash.  Can you make more fuss than that? 

If they don't have one, they don't' have one, what must they do? Why did you not phone around to other dealers? But I agree, they must call when others on the list cancel.

BMW dealers margins on clothing is only 25% out of that they must take profit and pay for operating cost. Obviously if BMW owners were willing to live with normal showrooms and less fancy bling they sure could offer you 5% discount. But why walk out when she says no, you asked and she answered. Discount is not a right.

Most other bike dealers margins on apparel is also around 25%, there's really not much in it, have a heart and let htem also make a living.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:46:21 pm by michnus »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 02:49:29 pm »
M, I must disagree here, their markup is far more than 25%, a very popular shop in edenvale has a 60% markup, and if BMW only has a 25% markup, how was it possible for me to buy a Rallye II jacket, normally over R6K, for R1K on a sale?
Where I think a lot of 'discounts' don't work is where the salesperson gets paid commission, by giving you discount he/she is doing him/herself in.
I know BMW dealers are big on paying their staff commission. Maybe this specific saleslady was battling....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:05 pm »
Peoples time is obviously worth nothing to them.
To go all the way to another dealer to get the same thing is just senseless for me.

this consumer attitude may explain why a Toyota Corolla (made in SA) is more expensive here than in Oz, to where it is exported...   :pot:

More seriously, any individual should make his own call: is it better for me to go to another shop and try for a cheaper price?  Several things should be considered in this decision: price, cost of driving around, time wasted, quality of service, quality of after service, quality of item (if different brands), etc.  The one thing that shouldn't be in the balance is ego...

In the end it is the client's money, and he can/should decide how he gets value for it.  I for instance regularly shop at a few shops which I know are not the cheapest, but I get brilliant service during and after the sale, and that makes my life a lot easier (and I'm willing to pay for that).

Finally, if you are in business, EVERYTHING is negotiable.  If you don't get that, I don't think you'll do all that well.  Just look at the great trading peoples of the world (most from mid- and far East).  Initially when I started negotiating with these folks, it also pi$$ed me off, now I enjoy the horse-trading and banter!  Again though, no ego, or you're lost...

I'll tell you why - and this is public knowledge ...  ::)

Because the government taxes Toyota on parts and stuff it needs to build the vehicle, raising its price. Nowhere in the world is a vehicle 100% from parts sourced at that plant. In the global automative manufacturing world, certain suppliers build, say, brake systems or catalytic converters which are then shipped to factories where they're used in assembly. In many cases whole engines have to be imported.  ;)

Then the guvvamunt also gets VAT from the transaction.

It's easy to blame "car makers". Rather blame guvvamunt.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Horsepower

• Ou Hond:):)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • mororradadventures
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »
i was in Munich august last year at BMW words dealership and i thought that we would get the accessories cheaper from the source but to my surprise it was probably 30% more expensive, go figure!!

gs adv was 19300 Eur
BMW rider suit 1780 euro

i don't know how the local dealers can sell cheaper than the source?

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59:28 pm »
I'll tell you why - and this is public knowledge ...  ::)

Because the government taxes Toyota on parts and stuff it needs to build the vehicle, raising its price. Nowhere in the world is a vehicle 100% from parts sourced at that plant. In the global automative manufacturing world, certain suppliers build, say, brake systems or catalytic converters which are then shipped to factories where they're used in assembly. In many cases whole engines have to be imported.  ;)

Then the guvvamunt also gets VAT from the transaction.

It's easy to blame "car makers". Rather blame guvvamunt.

jacko you know that companies can claim input VAT back?

VAT is an airy fairy thing that gets paid by the last party in the line

the f*ckup is you pay VAT on a new car and then pay VAT on a second hand car - so your paying VAT over and over on the same thing  ???

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »
but yes special taxes (besides VAT) is another story  >:(

but if the people (consumers) dont buy cars and the factories start closing up the government might relook their tax strategy and i think that would be a good thing  :thumleft:

sorry for all the people that will loose their jobs in the process  :'(

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 03:04:23 pm »

Thats an about turn aint it?
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 03:07:11 pm »

Thats an about turn aint it?

jip - unfortunately no such thing as a WIN-WIN situation  :-\

Offline zagser

• Just another
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 03:15:45 pm »
M, I must disagree here, their markup is far more than 25%, a very popular shop in edenvale has a 60% markup, and if BMW only has a 25% markup, how was it possible for me to buy a Rallye II jacket, normally over R6K, for R1K on a sale?
Where I think a lot of 'discounts' don't work is where the salesperson gets paid commission, by giving you discount he/she is doing him/herself in.
I know BMW dealers are big on paying their staff commission. Maybe this specific saleslady was battling....

Maybe 25% on the BMW branded items...
I bought a touring jacket a while ago from an accesory shop.
I paid R1999 for it, only to find the exact same jacket a few days later at the local BMW shop priced at R2999.
I kid you not!

In the end they are running a bussiness in a free market. They are in it to make money.
So if you do not like the attitude/service/product/whatever, do what I do, vote with your feet.

Nobody goes to Pick and Pay asking for a discount, why should that be any different for other businesses?
Nothing wrong with asking for discount if you pay cash for expensive items, but demanding a discount? I am not so sure...

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
Ok, I have just been corrected, BMW do not have a wild mark-up on their kit, and the jacket I scored for R1K was 'end of range', bliksem, how does BMW survive?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
Ok, I have just been corrected, BMW do not have a wild mark-up on their kit, and the jacket I scored for R1K was 'end of range', bliksem, how does BMW survive?

they probably markup the 1200gs brake rotors like crazy  >:D

:pot:

Offline zagser

• Just another
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2009, 03:29:13 pm »

Or maybe they change spark plugs more often than specified...

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:00 pm »

Wouldn't know, replaced them with Wunderlich... :biggrin:

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 04:00:17 pm »
I think the whole thing started due to the counter girl's attitude. Had she handled the situation better she would have made the sale.

Maybe she was only doing her job

Blame it on PMT!  :pot:   ... Pots of Money Temperament
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

JJZ

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2009, 04:47:19 pm »
Thatís my plan. I would like to get just a few responses and then send them the link and maybe we can have a happy ever after relationship.  O0

Maybe the principal is not about discount (that's economics), but all about attitude & service. And way too many bussinesses have an attitude that regard the customer as the one that's dependent on the dealer

When I bought my KLR, I went to my local dealer on a Friday at 13:00. (Dealership is about 15km from me) The owner of the shop was hanging around on the display floor. His whole body language showed that he was not really interested in doing bussiness. That was confirmed in a short discussion. If he is bad at selling his merchandise, what level of service can I expect after the sale ?

I walked out, went to another dealership (100 km away) and got very good service.

I voted with my feet, will not even buy spares from the local guy

Offline Crop Sprang

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Mark It Zero
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2009, 05:10:40 pm »
Thatís my plan. I would like to get just a few responses and then send them the link and maybe we can have a happy ever after relationship.  O0

Maybe the principal is not about discount (that's economics), but all about attitude & service. And way too many bussinesses have an attitude that regard the customer as the one that's dependent on the dealer

When I bought my KLR, I went to my local dealer on a Friday at 13:00. (Dealership is about 15km from me) The owner of the shop was hanging around on the display floor. His whole body language showed that he was not really interested in doing bussiness. That was confirmed in a short discussion. If he is bad at selling his merchandise, what level of service can I expect after the sale ?

I walked out, went to another dealership (100 km away) and got very good service.

I voted with my feet, will not even buy spares from the local guy

+100

like good or kark builders
its the attitude and management of the staff that counts
or the pub owner who drinks with his clientele
on a road to nowhere
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite