Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Dealership not interested in doing business.  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
Re: BMW Dealership not interested in doing business.
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »
I'll tell you why - and this is public knowledge ...  ::)

Because the government taxes Toyota on parts and stuff it needs to build the vehicle, raising its price. Nowhere in the world is a vehicle 100% from parts sourced at that plant. In the global automative manufacturing world, certain suppliers build, say, brake systems or catalytic converters which are then shipped to factories where they're used in assembly. In many cases whole engines have to be imported.  ;)

Then the guvvamunt also gets VAT from the transaction.

It's easy to blame "car makers". Rather blame guvvamunt.

jacko you know that companies can claim input VAT back?

VAT is an airy fairy thing that gets paid by the last party in the line

the f*ckup is you pay VAT on a new car and then pay VAT on a second hand car - so your paying VAT over and over on the same thing  ???

OOh, an I forgot! Many vehicles are imported nowadays. Probably the majority. It's the (global) economy, stupid. So the guvvamunt taxes these imports like you won't believe. The idea was to protect the local manufacturing industry, but I don't buy it anymore, scuse the pun.

Carte Blanche once did an investigation and showed a detailed breakdown of what makes up the pricing of a Toyota Tazz. The taxes (ad valorem and otherwise) on the thing (which has a tangible effect on its retail price) was more than the profit Toyota SA makes on it.

But it could've been worse: We could've had a system like in the Scandinavian countries where they tax the living crap out of alcohol!  :o

I'd rather have expensive vehicles and cheap booze!  >:D

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »

Because the government taxes Toyota on parts and stuff it needs to build the vehicle, raising its price. Nowhere in the world is a vehicle 100% from parts sourced at that plant. In the global automative manufacturing world, certain suppliers build, say, brake systems or catalytic converters which are then shipped to factories where they're used in assembly. In many cases whole engines have to be imported.  ;)

jacko you know that companies can claim input VAT back?

VAT is an airy fairy thing that gets paid by the last party in the line

the f*ckup is you pay VAT on a new car and then pay VAT on a second hand car - so your paying VAT over and over on the same thing  ???

wrt the vat, yes, you do pay on a 2nd hand car if bought from a vat registered dealer. the dealer, however, would have claimed vat on the purchase price (i.e. what he bought it for), so the dealer will pay vat only on the value added by him. if the dealer does not take the vat claimed into consideration in haggling a price, he is screwing with you. eg
dealer uses 100% mu
purchase price for dealer: 57
input vat: 7
cost to dealer = 50
dealer sells for 100 + 14 vat = 114
dealer's profit = 50, vat paid to gvt = 7
so, if ever you do a trade in, remember that the dealer gets a vat benefit even if he buys it from a non-vendor.

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:51 am »
I am still waiting for that call.   

Needless to say, I am not going back there...  My money are good enough anywhere else but not at BMW dealership in Bellville. 

You may be 43rd on the list by now

Friend of mine up here in Gauteng also did a impulse buy of the 800GS. Decided. Week later got it. Brand new. As I understand it, the waiting lists are not that long anymore.? Or did he get lucky?

the list is not that long but what happen is

lots of guys put their names on the list

then their bike gets here then they dont want it any more or they got something else etc then they bike does not go to the next person in line - it goes to whoever phones them the most, whoever bitch and moans the mosts etc etc

if you make a nuisance of yourself i'm sure you will skip the queue pretty quick

The same happened when I bough a car, there was a 6 months waiting list.
I left my names at a couple of dealers if some-ones sale fell through.
Got the car on 10 days  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2009, 10:15:55 am »
Some dealers told me its a old story, customers go ape shit and put names on list and threaten if not called and will kill salesmen's wife and dog, then day comes when stock arrives, salesman phone customer on list ans suddenly they all have some sort of weird tropical sickness in the family and cant' buy any more.

Take non refundable deposit, I say.

Offline Crop Sprang

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Mark It Zero
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:35 am »
Some dealers told me its a old story, customers go ape shit and put names on list and threaten if not called and will kill salesmen's wife and dog, then day comes when stock arrives, salesman phone customer on list ans suddenly they all have some sort of weird tropical sickness in the family and cant' buy any more.

Take non refundable deposit, I say.

+100
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite

Offline FatOldSun

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:31 am »
Peoples time is obviously worth nothing to them.
To go all the way to another dealer to get the same thing is just senseless for me.

this consumer attitude may explain why a Toyota Corolla (made in SA) is more expensive here than in Oz, to where it is exported...   :pot:

More seriously, any individual should make his own call: is it better for me to go to another shop and try for a cheaper price?  Several things should be considered in this decision: price, cost of driving around, time wasted, quality of service, quality of after service, quality of item (if different brands), etc.  The one thing that shouldn't be in the balance is ego...

In the end it is the client's money, and he can/should decide how he gets value for it.  I for instance regularly shop at a few shops which I know are not the cheapest, but I get brilliant service during and after the sale, and that makes my life a lot easier (and I'm willing to pay for that).

Finally, if you are in business, EVERYTHING is negotiable.  If you don't get that, I don't think you'll do all that well.  Just look at the great trading peoples of the world (most from mid- and far East).  Initially when I started negotiating with these folks, it also pi$$ed me off, now I enjoy the horse-trading and banter!  Again though, no ego, or you're lost...

Import duties are 10%, then Vat 14%.   That is for a normal import (I am looking into that).   I am not sure if the dealership gets the 14% Vat back through company? 
'celebrate we will cuz life is short but sweet for certain...'  Dave Matthews

Online roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2009, 10:53:02 am »

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2009, 12:18:43 pm »

Booze is always a bargain! :biggrin:
He who angers you, controls you.