Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why the interest in the cheapo bikes?  (Read 623 times)

Offline WabbitKiLR

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Why the interest in the cheapo bikes?
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:14 am »
Why are so many people interested in cheap bikes that don't last? I'm not saying they're all like that, but lots of ones I've heard about are like that. They corrode, fall apart, spares are lackluster, etc.

What are you guys' opinions on this?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:30:58 am by Wabbit16 »

Offline Smithey

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Njam Njam Njam
Re: Why the interest in the cheapo bikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:53 am »
All people see is good petrol consumption  :deal:

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:50:50 am »
Sometimes it's the only thing a person can afford to buy, through circumstances not always of their own making. I went through a very nasty and rather costly divorce, and the cheapie was the only thing I could afford.

I rode a Chinese cheapie 200cc Lifan Hunter for almost a year, until it was stolen in December '08. I got it cheap, used it to work and back, and joined some of the Dogs on two rides and a technical day outing, and enjoyed myself immensely.

In fact, one or two other members were somewhat surprised to see that I managed to keep up in most of the terrain, and in few places, did even better than my (very much) more expenive (and heavier) counterparts.

On the first outing, I covered 250km, and on the second, almost 360km. I only used 13l to do the second trip. When the bike was stolen, it had just over 14000 km, and mechanically I had had no problems at all. Of that distance, I put on 8500km in a year.

If it wasn't for the fact that I would like to travel a little further afield, I would probably go for another cheapie. The only drawback is that they are not built for distance-travel, and run out of steam at around 100km/h.

Cheers

I am currently rideless, but trying to save enough o get something a little bigger
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline ktmrules

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »
Why are so many people interested in cheap bikes that don't last? I'm not saying they're all like that, but lots of ones I've heard about are like that. They corrode, fall apart, spares are lackluster, etc.

Hey Wabbit16 seeing that you got money growing on your back why didnt you just get the latest BMW R1200GSA full spec for only R154 000???  :imaposer:

Times are tougher  for some than for others.....just a thought!!! :pot:
Rise and rise again until lambs turn into lions!!

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:04 pm »
My wife's got a Bigboy XTG200. I'll take it any where the other more expensive bikes can go. Even she rides like a pro on that. But like TR said, speed are limited, but it is light on fuel.

I fixed up my Dad's DT180, now we ride together.

Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline zagser

• Just another
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »
My wife is in the process of buying a Vuka 200cc scrambler.
Same one as the BigBoy XTG, just different stickers.  ;)
They are now on special for R9999.

IMHO is this a better buy than buying something else second hand for that price.
The idea is also not to ride this bike forever, just something light so she can build up her confidence and go for her license with.
And when she upgrades I have a small cheap bike to play with...

I also had a Lifan Hunter 200cc, it served its purpose well over five years' time.
It is not the same quality as the japanese counterparts, as all the rubbers and hoses are starting to perish now.
But for what it cost new and the riding experience and serviceing costs it suited its purpose well.

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:21:01 pm »

KTM riders are gonna tell you their bikes aren't cheap... but everything else you said is correct.
 >:D

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:31 pm »
Dont get the question.

Why buy disposible razors, why buy cheap toilet paper, why buy cheap tyres, why buy cheap grips.

Horses for courses, personal taste , budget, image,................take your picj the list is endless.

For each his own.
THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline Jerrycan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
Coz they are dispensable and thus provide CAREFREE biking, if you drop it and it costs more than 10K to fix you buy another new one in the time it would have taken to get insurance quotes together for a R100k bike.
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »
 :mwink: :thumleft:

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 06:47:30 pm »
'S true, when they fall it's not R40k a side!
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Basset

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 09:06:41 pm »
These el-cheapos give people a ride to work and put bread on my table. Also when you fix or service them the customers don't have to bitch about the price of spares etc.
A full engine rebuild can come at the price of a cheap service on one of the el-grando bikes.
As an afterthought, these commuters are buying cash, they are not "windgat op skuld."

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:17:02 am »

KTM riders are gonna tell you their bikes aren't cheap... but everything else you said is correct.
 >:D

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline WabbitKiLR

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 08:30:48 am »

Hey Wabbit16 seeing that you got money growing on your back why didnt you just get the latest BMW R1200GSA full spec for only R154 000???  :imaposer:

Times are tougher  for some than for others.....just a thought!!! :pot:
I'm not the type that pays for a name. That's why my old XT550 (60000km) was a freebie; burnt clutch, leaking fork seals, etc. but no money to replace it. Times are tough, but I'd much rather buy a 2nd hand bike that I know has been around almost 30 years than a new one that has yet to prove itself. I'm still a kid, and my earnings aren't really that much and not worth speaking about.

I'm gonna take an example: a guy I know bought a cheapie-brand in '03. We're now in '09, and that thing has more corrosion than the Titanic and every single microswitch has failed. I'm not bashing the brand, but I'd much rather buy things that I know have been proven to last.

Buy ya, different strokes for different folks I suppose...

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 10:21:38 am »
Hey Philllip I only realised now that its you!
You should be getting that XT ready for the bash and not waste your time on the net!! :thumleft:

Offline WabbitKiLR

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:17 am »
Hey Philllip I only realised now that its you!
You should be getting that XT ready for the bash and not waste your time on the net!! :thumleft:
It's the school! We get told to come to school to loaf around, but not allowed to stay home. Reminds me of a prison. Ja wat, nog net die clutch en fork seals en hy's reg. Bande en ketting gaan maar moet wag...