Outriders DS Festival - Cederberg '09

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Pete

Teach Peace
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
A big thank you to all the riders who attended....& a special thanks to the Eastern Cape & Southern Cape guys who came! :thumleft:

This ride rates with my top 4 all time rides.(including KTM RR) We broke up into two groups with most of the riders doing the more technical route through Eselbank & Wuppertal. Further to that we broke up into smaller more manageable groups & to keep the dust down. At times i found myself riding alone which rounded off the experience nicely. The roads were in possibly the worst condition i have seen them but funnily enough the sand was not so bad. We took a good hammering & soaked it all up :thumleft:
A lot of the roads were full of small stone & i was not alone in thinking i had a flat! I think there was a bit of everything for everyone & you did the route at the pace of your choice.

XT660R, Andy & the reccie riders did the most amazing job :thumleft: Besides the leaders & sweepers we had roving sweepers who kept an eye on the situation. We had paramedics on both routes sweeping behind & this proved invaluable when after binning his bike EtienneNXR had a paramed within 5 minutes attending to him. His bike was a bit trashed but managed to start. I suggested that he pack it in but having a lion heart he wanted to press on. I shot off & only learn't a bit later that he had changed his mind & was taken back to camp in the Pure Orange's 4X4. They put his arm in a sling as his elbow had swollen a bit.

Nivea's BMW had a mechanical failure...broken shock mounting...but he made it to Oasis. He then decides to truly test the bikes durability by riding it back to camp...no mean feat!

And then we have Eendstop...who decided to go shopping for his missus as they were expecting a busy day at the Eendekuil Hotel. He comes back & decides to get some practice in on the skills challange course...& promptly breaks his left leg just above the ankle...a clean break. I watched the Doctor put the cast on & cannot believe that it was not sore...either he is tuff as old biltong or should be on stage!!

The skills challange was organised by Leftless. :thumleft: Me & him sweated many hours under the the sun sorting out stuff. Thank you to the Civils guys at the Municipality for the Front loader/Back hoe & digging a rather respectably sized hole in the ground. We had a nice tech course, barrel races & drags. I lost my camera so cannot post any pics right now but i am sure they will follow.

I have no doubt that by late afternoon everyone felt that they had ridden their bikes :thumleft:
Thank you to all the riders, pillions, 4X4 support, paramedics & crew. A special thanks to Ducks from KTM for bringing the truck with spares & tools & for rider support 8)

I was riding with a TKC front & spanking Heidi on the back. I have not been through as many tyres as a lot of you but it felt good. It would step out a bit to often for my liking but was manageable. Just wish i had the TKC on the back for drags.. :mad: a GS800 & 1200 had me against the wall :p and a 2smoke 250 KTM and a Suzuki 400 and a Honda 650...i clearly suck at drags & was starting in second gear ??? ...please advise ;D

More to come....