Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Creighton WFO Enduro  (Read 1053 times)

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
Creighton WFO Enduro
« on: October 07, 2006, 05:19:58 pm »
I have been away for work a few days, and on the way back last night the plan unfolded as I drove towards Durban along with discussions with GS12 and Gerry.   :idea:  The Creighton is a National championship event, and after the good rain during the week, it promised to be a good one.... A little spectator ride was on.  :wink:

GS12 on his GS12 and I left at 6, and rode the scenic dirt road through Hela Hela and on to Creighton, about 150 km from where we live.  We encountered some obstacles along the way already.

Arrived at Creighton just in time to see Gerry and the mayor set off the first riders. Gerry's arm is still sore, but he came out to be Clerk of Course. This is a big event for Creighton!

We had a chat with friends and had some coffee and a bacon and egg roll, then went out to look for some good spectator spots.  The organisers always have a map showing the racing route and some good spectator points, which makes things simple and user friendly.

Just as we rode off, the bike felt like a python, flat rear tyre!!  Found an old rusted nail to be the culprit - luckily the KTM pit area was close and we pulled in for some great service.
Stuart, one of the racers also arrived with a flat front, and Wayne was getting real busy.  But amongst us we seemed to have enough spare tubes, air, tyre levers, spanners and "gees" to get things under control again.  Thanks Wayne!!

We had another go at the sectator points and this time things seemed to work.  Out there, we encountered the typical WFO hills, water, mud, rocks and good spirit.  It is always amazing to see the top riders and the real battlers all having a good time alongside each other - the "alongside" part even more on the 2nd and 3rd rounds, when our hard working friends are still on the first round.  Good stuff this.....  :)

Here is a good expample:

The obstacle:

The sensible way:  :P

Then you get this: :o

And THIS: :roll:

And then there is Louwrens!! :shock:  :shock:

Continued, see part 2
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:23:52 pm »
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
Part 2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:34:10 pm »
The WFO organisers put a lot of effort into these events, look at this nice "bridge" they built to make sure that the riders had an easy passage.

We spent some more time around the pits and on the route, then headed home through the gum forests.  You cannot really predict where these roads are going to take you, we just did some exploring.  The conditions change fast and you have to be alert - windy roads with "stuff" lurking.

By the time we saw a mapped road again, we were in Donnybrook, and happy.  Rode home along the same way we came.  Quite a bit of water...

Gave the bikes a rest at Hela Hela.

Had a cooldrink in Richmond and did the twisties back to the N3 and back home.  The TKC is now just about dead, but LONG LIVE WFO!  

Thanks Gerry - The t-shirt looks great and the hospitality is really appreciated.  And to GS12, thanks for the help with the puncture, it was a lekker ride!
www.countrytrax.co.za

shark_za

Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 08:53:19 am »
"flatout" as always.

Interesting roads SGB, the skid demon lurks in that mud!

At least you posted a pic of a KDX, everyone knows they are the real thing for technical racing, if you didnt people might think its a girls bike ;)

Offline Gaukes

Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:30:00 am »
:cry: Good story and great pics SGB.
 :D As usal, i am envious for not being able to join you guys on Saturday!

Hopefully we can plan a Valley of 1000 hills for this weekend. :P
Will talk later with you and GS12.

Offline Mikedabike

• Race Dog
Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:56:36 am »
Big S,as always a great report and nice pic's.
I believe there were some very relieved 'national' riders because you hadnt entered.
A few of my riding mates did it and Tony (Bobby Chang) said it was the hardest thing he can remember doing.(3h30min to complete just 1 lap.)(then again his memory is not what it used to be)
Well done Shannon 'rocket' Frost and I am pleased to see that all that 'training' we did in Swaziland is starting to pay off!! ('training' means we made Shannon ride all our bikes over the big obstacles because he needs the 'training' hee hee.)
Sorry we didnt get to ride together down at the challenge Stefan(you know the rules) but maybe we should schedule our own weekend of riding in your beautiful hometown?
Mikedabike
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:24:31 pm »
Hi Stefan

Nice report and good pics. My brother from Joburg did the race and he could only manage one lap. He says he also reckoned that this was by far the hardest ride he has done.

I am still keen on the idea of doing a "Roof Supporters" trip through Lesotho at the end of November, and I trust we will see something appearing in the Planning Section shortly.

Jon
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline X Banana Boy

Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:56:55 pm »
Thanks for the report Stefan.  Great to see the Natal countryside again.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
WFO Creighton
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:31:40 pm »
Nice to hear your voice on the forum MdB.  :hello1:  I understand from trustworthy sources that you have some orange plastic tucked away in the garage too.  :shock:  I think we should set up a 3-4 man team to ride a WFO in the DS way.  Things like "stick together  :pain10: , help each other  :boxing: , let MdB ride all the bikes through the difficult sections  :tongue1: , rest often  :director2: , take pictures  :director: , admire the scenery  :pottytrain5: " come to mind. Are you in?  :?:

Jon, the Roof trip - yes thinking about it, looking at some maps.  Although the organizers are a bit slow at publishing the route.  Watch this space....

Gaukes, hope you can get some Sport Pass organized soon.  :!: Hoop jy bly al lekker in jou nuwe huis...
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Creighton WFO Enduro
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 08:44:24 am »
Looking AWSOME thanks for this feeling of WHY WHY IM NOT DOING THAT  :D

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.