Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: '06 GSC on TV  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Udjeni

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 04:53:29 pm »
I was a bit disappointed with the program.  Yes, the scenery was great and it was kind of fun to watch okes damaging their bikes and egos, but my big complaint is the program did not tell a story.  It was just a collage of scenes with almost no continuity - like watching random photographs from someone's trip.  Many times I wanted to know what happened next, but the scene was cut.

The skills challence was especially frustrating.  They should have at least shown the course, or followed a couple of the better riders along the whole course.

Perhaps the coverage was OK for someone who was there, because they would recognise the scenes and fill in the blanks.  For me, I was sommer de moer in by the end of the programme because they did not tell the story of what happened, especially in the skills challenge.  But then, I guess, they did not cover the latter like one would a sporting event, so maybe I am expecting too much.

And man, I got tired of the "it's not a race" story.  Thanks, but I got that the first time already, in fact I got it without you telling me!  :roll:

Oh well, maybe I just had an off day.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 11:10:01 am »
The coverage of the GS challenge was great, but for me it was like a long BMW marketing infomercial.

Can't say it made me at all keen to attend one though, as it all seemed a bit pointless.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 12:02:20 pm »
You're right, Udjeni, bit difficult to follow if you were not there, but better than last year, they had some bozo making out as if he was there, but with  Sandton skyscrapers in the background! That oke hade probably never seen a DS bike before the commentary filming.
The best would be for you to view it again with someone who was there to explain what went on.
For those of us that were also at last year's event, this year's tv coverage was far better.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Grootseun

'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 08:06:53 am »
What was up wif all the blerrie horses... i wasnt sure if i was watching the GS challenge coverage.. or some horsie wildlife program.... :?

Wasnt too bad..looks like fun... altho tooo many bloody people if you as me...not really my scene...Differen strokes..

masehare

'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 08:22:33 am »
The scene where the people had to cross a stream and get up the embankment - many oooh's, aaah's and eina's :shock:  - wouldn't want to do that with my bike. But it's probably the same as asking people why they climb a mountain - "because it's there".  They rode the courses just to prove it can be done on their bikes. Some did it gracefully, some didn't.

shark_za

'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 08:24:59 am »
Quote from: "JonW"
The coverage of the GS challenge was great, but for me it was like a long BMW marketing infomercial.

So it turned out just like they wanted it !
Thats what it is. A lifestyle commercial.

Offline brettp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 09:38:29 am »
Okay, so call me "brain dead"..... but I actually enjoyed the footage. Sure the horses and the over dramatic music got up my arse, but it was still pleasent to watch!!

They achieved exactly what BMW set out to do - promote the brand, the product and the out doors. Whether its your cuppa tea or not, so what! It was a PR event and well exicuted by all involved. The camera just gave to those of us that were not there, an insight into the event!

I too would not wish to subject my "yellow beast of burden" to that, however if you have serious dosh to throw away, then hey, BMW is gonna take it....... :wink:

Well done to those that participated, hope you had fun.
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 10:28:15 am »
I believe that the show was made as a promotional video for both BMW Lifestyle as well as Free State Tourism. If this was the goal, excellent stuff.

However the essence of the GS Challenge was not really captured. The majority of the interviewed people were BMW staff. What about regular joe, how did he find the routes, backup, medics, infrastructure, etc. what about his comments after completing the race (i mean ride).

Two major obstacles were focused on and it is viewed as thrashing your bike around. There is a lot more to the challenge than just what was seen on the video.
Personally i would also have like to see more info about the skills challenge, the difficulty, angles. etc. I was there and know what it entails, but the viewer has no concept!
Maybe some interviews with the top 3 riders from the skills challenge would also be great.

All in all, not a bad production, but i do not recall so many horses on the farm.
Rather attend and experience the event for yourself and get first hand experience.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Ysterman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
'06 GSC on TV
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 03:23:25 pm »
Wasn?t there myself, so I was really looking forward to the program and yes somewhat disappointed in the footage.  Agree with most of the comments.  I mean the footage was great, but I wanted to see more of the GS challenge itself (as bmad mentioned the ?essence?) and also the story of the weekend (as Udjeni mentioned).

One thing it did achieve however was to make me very lus for next year ? how they gonna beat the scenery around Moolmanshoek, especially those shots from the chopper I don?t know.

Had a chat to one of the BMW staff this weekend to try and confirm my thoughts that the program was just a ?lusmakertjie? and to actually get you and me to by the DVD (like Long Way Round) ? and sounds like it?s gonna happen!  Those guys must have hours & hours of film and should easily be able to put together a three pack DVD.