West Coast Recovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beserker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Went for a jaunt up the West Coast, followed the "Sand pad" from Lutzville, with the intention of getting to Groenrivier, and from there to Gifberg and down through the Cederberg via Wuppertal to Skelmbosch....not to be!

From Lutzville, hitting the sand, my bike started missing, and the smell of petrol was overwhelming.

Thought the float got stuck, so I closed my fuel taps, ran the carb dry and whacked it with the back end of a screwdriver.
The problem did not go away, actually, got progressively worse, till my bike stalled completely....I was S-O-O-O-O-O stuffed.

P4050093.jpg

Short story, took my carb off, and "cleaned"  everything, blew the jets clean etc....seven times.
Trust me, to do this on a beach, on a groundsheet whilst the wind is blowing....

I ran a-ground Saturday at 16:00, by Sunday lunch, I sighted the first other human beings, sunlight glinted of a bakkies window a way of in the veld.

It was a farmer counting sheep he ran on the De Beers concession area...thank you so much.
He agreed to take the bike to his farm, from where I can collect it later.

map.jpg

I trekked the last 16 km to Groenrivier, alternating between my MX boots and barefoot through the sand...still stiff.

Before I can post a ride report, I need closure on this, anybody know of transport running from Garies/ Bitterfontein to Cape Town?

The bike is on a farm approx. 5kms outside Kotzesrus.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.