Not your normal service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogless

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
"Why not come down to Bethlehem for a day, get your bike serviced, use my bike and travel areas like Clarens and Golden Gate?" These words from Hentie at Hochland BMW sounded like honey to my ears so I took him up on his offer.

Theuns, my 13 year old son, and me left Vereeniging at 05:00. At Vaaldam, still in the dark, as we rounded a corner, we saw headlights all over the road, my lane included!  I barely had time to swerve to the edge of the tar before a bakkie with trailer missed us by inches. The #%#*((* overtook a truck on a solid line!! Lucky for us he kept his line and didn't swerve as well. That was as close to death I've ever came in my 43 years on earth. Man, I was shaken. To add salt to our wounds we hit thick mist close to Villiers. I couldn't see a thing through my visor and had to open it up and wipe my glasses all the time. By the time we've reached the Wimpy I've had enough of the dark and decided to pull in for a breakfast. Was this service trip to become a nightmare?

Once we left Villiers the going got better and we soon reached Bethlehem. True to his word Hentie promptly handed over his keys as soon as my bike was booked in.  :thumleft: Off we went on our way to Golden Gate with nice twisties on the way. We took a leisurely pace especially after the hectic start to the day. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves as we stopped at the Basutu Culture Village, lookout points as well as the Glen Reenen caravan park for a well deserved rest. Lunch was an awesome affair in Clarens and too soon we had to return to Bethlehem.

While waiting for my bike DeonDJ pulled in on his yellow 800. Don’t these Freestaters work during the day?  >:D Without hesitance he handed over his keys when asked if I could take it for a spin. Boy oh boy, what a bike, unbelievable! This bike is high on my wish list. Thanks for the spin Deon!  :thumleft:

As both fork seals had to be replaced, apart from the normal service, we only got away from Bethlehem at 17:15, after a huge downpour, arriving at home at 19:00. As it was Theuns's first full day on a bike he was paste and immediately went to bed after a quick wash-up, but most importantly, still a happy chappy.  :biggrin:

Both of us thoroughly enjoyed the day and what a nice way to get the bike serviced.

Thanks Hentie

PS.
One thing I've learnt from this trip is that I'm not built for night riding. All the goggas creep out after dark.

1. Bridge over N3 in Villiers
2. On our way to Reitz
3. Lesotho water project - Ash water outlet
4. Ditto

Attachments

• IMG_8787_resize.JPG
    IMG_8787_resize.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8789_resize.JPG
    IMG_8789_resize.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8791_resize.JPG