BMW 800GS Topbox - It disappears off the back - BMW replaced it under warranty!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RooiPhilip

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Yesterday, I went out for a ride in the De Wildt area. All was well at the end of the track, the topbox was still very much present because I removed my camera to put it in my jacket pocket for easy access.

Then I took gravel and tar roads towards Brits and upon arival my topcase was simply missing!! It was not overloaded, since all it contained was two tyre inflation kits, those that has the foam and you can also use for your car.

The irony was, that when we left from De Wildt police station, a friendly gentleman warned me about this, since his BMW 800GS topbox also disappeared somewhere when riding in De Wildt.

So this is my warning for everyone that owns one of those topboxes, or is looking to invest in one of those, which I would strongly advise against.

Hope this saves someone a lot of tears since the topbox for me was always an easy access place to put my important documents when traveling. I am just too happy this did not happen across the border and my passport and wallet was not amongst the contents.

Happy riding.