Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
The annual Parys De Aar Adventure rally happened this year from 25 to 29 Apr between these well know SA towns. Although the name closely resembles the toughest rally taking place early January, our rally was a lot less tough, but I recon we had lots more fun. KalahariBen is the brainchild behind this winning formula and participation on this rally is by invitation on a first come first serve basis only. A few weeks ago we had a get to know each other function at Bavaria East where we received lovely presents from our sponsors and it was certain that Ben had left no stone unturned to organize this event in as much detail as possible with all events happening as smooth as a well oiled boxer motor. 

Excalibur and Bikermice admiring a fully loaded Honey somewhere between Gauteng and Parys
f6854848.jpg

This oke was having a moment of personal indulgement when we showed up un- announced to spoil his personal moment – some people never fail to amaze me
1.jpg

We met at the O’s restaurant in Parys after a leisure ride from Gauteng. The rally was only starting on the Sunday morning so you effectively had to travel to Parys on the Saturday, really not a big ask.

The group at O’s in Parys
2.jpg

The pub at O’s right on the banks of the Vaal – lovely spot
3.jpg

It has become a tradition for non participants to join in on the Saturday night festivities, and this year was no exception. As will all such events, the first night away from home the manne were like a hungry pack let loose. A splendid meal followed by lotsa cold ones ensured a very successful evening. Many laughs later we were all in bed listing to the slight drizzle outside while lying snugly in our sleeping bags. GSing, please tell me that joke about the bicycle again. I’m not getting the punchline

Group photo
4.jpg

Sunday morning we rose to a new day with no sign of the previous night’s rains, except for the slightly moist upper crust on the roads we had to travel. Our host went flat out with breakfast and with our bellies well filled we posed for a group photo before pointing the wheels southbound again.

Lovely roads
5.jpg

We followed the banks of the Vaal for a long way
6.jpg

Sunday night our destination was the Timkulu game reserve approximately 40 km’s south of Christiana. The gravel roads we followed were in excellent condition and because we didn’t ride in a group the dust was no real problem. We all knew where we had to be for the next night, and when, how you got there was up to yourself.

Another crossing over the Vaal
7.jpg

While other were trying their best to catch a big one
8.jpg

I was the first to arrive at Timkulu and after the initial disbelief that a private game reserve would actually allow bikers into their reserve, I set up tent to allow everything to dry after the previous nights downpour.

Gravel highway
9.jpg

The mielies was almost ready for harvest

10.jpg

Plenty of this ugly baastids around
11.jpg

This oke was going nowhere slowly
12.jpg

Yet another crossing of the Vaal
13.jpg

I have been to Christiana several times but never saw this part of town – really nice
14.jpg

It was Sunday afternoon and the folks were out in force – farm against farm by the looks of it
15.jpg

More dirt highway
16.jpg

The staff at Timkulu prepared a braai with accompanying side orders and we obliged by eating ourselves to a stand still. Lotsa firewood and the excitement of sleeping amongst buffalo and rhino, amongst other things ensured that we had to kuier well into the night. I enjoyed the fact that the staff left us to our own devices and we ran a honesty bar – it’s nice to see people trusting us and we hopefully didn’t ruin that trust.

Quite a rush to see this when entering a game reserve on your bike

17.jpg

Entrance to Timkulu
18.jpg

They did that little extra to make us feel at home

19.jpg

The roads inside the reserve
20.jpg

You know you’re close to the Kalahri when you start seeing these
21.jpg

Timkulu is a well organized place
22.jpg

View from the lodge
23.jpg

Fellow riders settling in
24.jpg

……..and more

25.jpg

…last bit
26.jpg

Not everyday you see this from your camp site. That’s KalahariBen looking a bit nervous, using Honey as a shield

27.jpg

Camojo getting up close and personal
28.jpg

This Gemsbuck passed so close to me I got bokkoors – yes I know it’s outta focus
29.jpg

The view from where the rhino was standing
30.jpg

Timkulu means Big Tree and this is the very tree that gave it it’s name
31.jpg

One of the okes had an accident the previous day – must have been a moerse klip, I have never seen this happen.
32.jpg

The rear rim as well
33.jpg

Nine spokes completely broken off
34.jpg

Monday morning we set for the Thomas farm about 100 km’s south of Kimberley. Our first waypoint for the day was the confluent of the Orange and Vaal, a sight to be seen by all adventure riders. I have been in the areas numerous times but never took the trouble to go and check out the scene. Trust me well worth the effort.

More dirt highways in the Noord Kaap. Note the remains of a bird strike on my screen
35.jpg

Somehow taking a pic like this gives me a moerse thrill
36.jpg

Passing Kimberley GSer and I decided to go check out the big hole
37.jpg

If you’ve never been there here’s the detail
38.jpg

They have recently revamped the entire place and one can now see actual diamonds inside a heavy security safe accompanied by your own guard
39.jpg

…and we though we were hardcore. Imagine riding this thing from Knysna to Kimberley
40.jpg

It seems one can put up a sail if the wind is strong enough
41.jpg

GSer putting the R80 through it’s paces
42.jpg

Orange on the left, Vaal on the right. The Vaal stops here
43.jpg

Ben and the Kalahari in full tilt
44.jpg

This time crossing the orange – Runner and his sweet XR
45.jpg

Sturdy construction
46.jpg

A sign of the times. One of several abandoned farm labourer houses we saw. This was a trend on most of the farms we passed. Seems the okes all moved to town and commute to their farms daily. Not safe out there on your own.
47.jpg

Another “I like to” pictures”
48.jpg

Stretching a fully loaded Honey’s legs
49.jpg

We gathered at Thomas farm and were once again entertained to a splendid Karoo lamb dish with accompanying side orders. The only negative aspect of our stay was the fact that our host only had 3 cans of coke in her honesty bar, but thanks to one of our sponsors myself and Runner set of to Hopetown to get more mix and a few bottles of hard tack at a local shebeen. All’s well that ends well. Some serious kuiering ensued but once again all was up and ready for a new day come Tuesday.

Thomas farm
50.jpg

Some of the sights at Thomas farm. This poor kid was about 9 mths old
51.jpg

Some okes roughed it in chalets
52.jpg

More sights and graves on Thomas farm
53.jpg

54.jpg
55.jpg
56.jpg

57.jpg
58.jpg

I had to leave the group as I had prior commitments in Hermanus, so after a brief visit to Orania I set sails for the south. Tuesday was the best day riding I have ever experienced. From Orania I followed the road to Strydenburg, then via tar to Britstown before hitting the dirt other ride of Vosburg. From here I went over Carnavon, via Fraserburg to Sutherland. This stretch of road was build for the big GS. I left Britstown at approximately 11am and sat down in Sutherland at 2pm for lunch after filling with fuel. The ± 400 km’s flew past and the GS was in its element.

Unusual roadsign in Orania
59.jpg

A tribute to the koeksuster
60.jpg

The area had some rain and it was an ultimate adrenalin rush to find the road filled with water at speeds well in access of the legal limits and having to manoeuvre the GS around these obstacles. According to my trip computer I averaged ± 157 km’h on this section. Absolutely awesome. Go ride it some day, you’ll understand what I mean. Not sure who has travelled the section from Sutherland down to the N1 at Matjiesforntein, just as nice although on tar, but with lovely twisty sections where one can clean the tyres right down to the edge. The wind was slowly picking up, and by the time I hit the N1 it was gail force from a NW direction. Not pleasant. When I eventually arrived in Hermanus I felt like the wind was trying to blow me back to Gauteng.
After a few days relaxing with my loved ones I returned via R62 and Meiringspoort with a sleepover in Jacobsdal. Sunday was an uneventful ride except for a strike of some sort that I had early morning. I was riding into the sun, posing sunglasses with an open visor to combat fogging sunglasses when something hit me so hard, the already cracked frame of the sunglasses broke, sending the lens flying out the helmet, and as I pulled the dilapidated glasses from my eyes, the one ear piece came off and bailed, so needless to say all that remained was to thrash the rest of it.

Lotsa game in the Karoo
61.jpg

One of the best roads I have ever ridden
62.jpg

Major adrenalin rush to get around these obstacles at full tilt
63.jpg

Heaven on a GS
64.jpg

All sorts of hurdles awaits around the next corner
65.jpg

more karoo highway
66.jpg

Lunch in Sutherland
67.jpg

Well known landmark past Villiers
68.jpg

The big blue dam
69.jpg

70.jpg

The N12 is undergoing serious roadworks between Kimberley and Christiana, with at least 6 stop and go sites with a min of 10 minutes stop each. Don’t ride that route if you wanna get somewhere in a rush.

Last few pics – Light house at Cape Agulhas
71.jpg

72.jpg

Scary stuff up this high
73.jpg
74.jpg
75.jpg
76.jpg

Not sure what makes one paint your cabbie this colour
77.jpg
78.jpg

Penguin colony in Betty’s Bay
79.jpg
81.jpg
82.jpg
83.jpg
84.jpg
85.jpg

Lovely riding conditions on the way back
86.jpg

Well that’s it. All that remains is to thank Ben for an excellent rally, the fellow riders for their companionship and last but certainly not least our sponsors in no particular order – Jeep, Elf (The Oil people), Ryder Motorrad and Bavaria Motorcycles. I hope I’m not forgetting someone, Ben please correct me if I’m wrong.