August 6th, KTM RAW getting there, anything but tar...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am doing the RAW weekend on the Orange River in August.

Still in the planning stages but I would like to leave early in the week to ride up the coast staying as close to the beach as possible and getting to Alexander Bay. From there maybe try to get to Luderitz and come back down to cross the river at Sendlings Drift and then to the RAW venue.

Afterwards, I would like to come back via the Karoo and stay off the tar.

I wouldn’t mind a fellow adventurer or two. Three max.

However, I intend to ride through dunes on the way up and will try do the Shipwreck and West Coast Eco Trail. Therefore you will need to be very comfortable and confident on deep sand and be able to ride sand with your kit loaded too. I will want to take the road less travelled and may do some detours just to see what’s there. So no savage destination fixation.

You will also need to have a 3-400km off road range. I have 46 litre tanks on and intend to use the range to explore.

My preference is to buy whatever is needed on the way in terms of food and accommodation, but to take a tent and sleeping bag in case the mood arises.

I will try to travel as light as possible, maybe send some gear up with whomever is going to be driving up to the event so that I am not so offensively stinky for the whole duration of the trip.

Anyone keen or anyone who has driven/ridden that part of the world please give your 5c... with GPS co-ords.