Yamaha Hattfield and Centurion selling Grey bikes and parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue flame

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
Good day

I was very existed after the demo at de wildt, In fact I made up my mind that I want to exchange my current bike. For a second hand Yamaha WR450F.

I think the guys form yamaha did an excellent job promoting the brand, unfortunately the dealers don’t do their part at all in fact they are hurting the brand.

I was looking for a second hand bike and found one a 2006 WR450F at Hatfield Yamaha, the dealer then  try to give me a very bad deal on trade in on my bike (35000 lowest trade, the highest I received from other places was 40000), the bike that he tried to sell me was in “good condition” according to him and had a premium on due to low mileage (45000) he could not proof this as the bike do not have an electronic trip computer for distance or Hours. I smelled a rat and after investigation I determined the following:

A) The bike was a 2005 bike registered in 2006
B) The bike was a GREY IMPORT and not an official Yamaha product.
C) The Bike was imported by CIT they had the exact same bike on their floor for 35000
D) According to the guys at CIT Grey bikes should be 10000 less than the related official import

That was a huge shock to me (I don’t do grey it is against my principal), I don’t go to an official dealer of Yamaha to buy a grey product, In fact according to the credit act this is illegal as you can’t sell a grey product without informing the client, It also  seems that the dealer has some sort of arrangement with CIT, because they also sell grey parts in their store. How can I trust the dealer that they will not put  these parts into my bike when they service the bikes and then charge the original part cost.

I absolutely hate it when someone lie to me and can’t take it, there must be a trust relationship with the dealer that work on your bike (service and maintenance) at the end of the day. Without trust there is nothing.

When I tried to go to another branch (Centurion Yamaha) I saw a bike that I really liked and had my eye on for some time a 2008 WR450F with 1300KM, they refused trade in on my bike because they knew there was a pending sale at another branch (very weird the sales person phoned me back in 5 minutes after speaking to the sales person at Hatfield, this after he insisted that they do trade in on bikes), and the branches belong to the same owner. So I am stuck. The dealers want to force me to buy a Grey product, and will only except trade in on the grey product.

I don’t believe this is the way the brand should be operated. What do you think people will do when they hear that these branches sell grey products and grey parts at new prices? Do you think people will take their bikes to Yamaha knowing that this is happening? I know for a fact that the big money is not in the selling of the bikes but in the aftermarket sales and services. I spend about 16000 on my bike since I bought it last year doing suspension upgrades ect.

Where can I make an official complained about the dealers? I was hoping this can be sorted out internally but the owner don't want to speak to me. Also Yamaha SA don't come back to me but rather keep quite. It is as if the just hope this will go away.

I therefore decided to warn each and every member of the community about this current practise This will surely hurt the brand this is not something that I want to do especially in the financial times that we are in now, I therefore hoped that this was an isolated case and that it ccould be rectified.

Be very very careful.

Regards