Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Cage Sales down 43%  (Read 602 times)

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Re: New Cage Sales down 43%
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 02:49:04 pm »
Everyone blames the car industry.
It's not them. Its the stupid consumers that pay these prices.

It's because of innovative financing deals, with balloon-payments and big residual values that people were able to afford these overpriced cars, because the installments were small.

But yes, cars are WAY overpriced, and I hope the industry sinks.
Maybe then they will stop lying to us and price cars realistically.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Ratel

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »

Thank you very much, that is the point I am trying to make. The motor industry will charge as much as they can, it is only limited to the threshold set by the consumer. The consumer has been conned into accepting these "yearly %"  increases.

The current decline in sales is more related to the general economic downturn than to consumers realizing that they have the collective power to change the price they get charged for vehicles (and motorcycles)
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »

Thank you very much, that is the point I am trying to make. The motor industry will charge as much as they can, it is only limited to the threshold set by the consumer. The consumer has been conned into accepting these "yearly %"  increases.

The current decline in sales is more related to the general economic downturn than to consumers realizing that they have the collective power to change the price they get charged for vehicles (and motorcycles)
I agree 100%
Take for instance the fact that a average middle class oke in england earns maybe 5000 pounds p/m? just see what he can buy with one month's salary compared to SA!
Henry Ford had it right... he said a car should not cost more than the average monthly salary in a country to be affordable and to keep his factory rolling... alas that has been relegated to history in SA.

Offline Tyger

• Pack Dog
  • Its Obvious!!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 04:12:05 pm »
The dealers can't be doing too bad. I have left my details at 5 Mercedes dealerships as I am looking for a 2nd hand C-Class (big deposit, no trade-in).
Guess how many have ever got back to me?
Thats right! NONE!

Do they have used C-Class in stock?
They can only get back to you when they have a used vehicle fitting your description in stock.
Makes sense?
`Around the corner there may wait a new road or secret gate`   J.R.R Tolkien

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 04:25:09 pm »
And then the motor industry in SA has the nerve to tell .gov that they are bankrupt, and need a bailout or jobs will be lost.

Sorry for those who's about to lose their jobs, but I think the motor industry in SA needs some chlorine to get rid of the smelly stuff.

But I ride a KLR, so what do I know?
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »

Take for instance the fact that a average middle class oke in england earns maybe 5000 pounds p/m? just see what he can buy with one month's salary compared to SA!

Seriously?

I wouldn't have thought it to be so high.
Cars may be cheaper there, but insurance certainly aint.
Insurance premiums are almost as expensive as your car repayments.

shark_za

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »
5000p/m
Not middle class...

Middle is like 30-40k per annum.

Adventure MX

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 05:26:21 pm »
Why are they increasing their prices when their cost have not gone up? Rand has strengthened a lot against the $, metal price has declined, oil is costing next to nothing. The only thing that has increased is the combined greed of the motor industry and the gullibility of the South African consumer.

Such true words, couldn't have put it better myself!

Offline Frog

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 06:00:31 pm »
The dealers can't be doing too bad. I have left my details at 5 Mercedes dealerships as I am looking for a 2nd hand C-Class (big deposit, no trade-in).
Guess how many have ever got back to me?
Thats right! NONE!

Do they have used C-Class in stock?
They can only get back to you when they have a used vehicle fitting your description in stock.
Makes sense?

This was in December. 5 months and not a single car that fits my description? Doubt it. Does not make sense.
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 06:10:19 pm »
"In addition to a slowing economy and depressed consumer spending, the main factor contributing to the massive decline was the large number of public holidays,"
Naamsa said.

The large number of public holidays :laughing4:

Supply and demand is something that is apparently not understood by South Africans. As long as people insist on paying R150 000 for an entry level Ford Fiesta or R200 000 for a VW Polo (as examples) they deserve the reaming they get :deal:  

2nd hand cars are way overpriced in my opinion.

+1

what about bikes.  about 150 000 for a gs1200, come on pull my other leg as well.  :P

when you pay for something, it actually means that you agree that the price is right, regardless of how you feel about it emotionally.  that's what it means plain and simple.  so the ONLY way the motor industry will understand how we feel (or any other industry) is if you don't agree to their pricing by NOT MAKING THE PURCHASE.

as it's already been said, we need to stop being as materialistic as we are.  why buy a new car every year or two?  why not keep your current car longer and maintain it better?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:11:10 pm by GreenMamba1974 »

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 07:35:00 pm »
5000p/m
Not middle class...

Middle is like 30-40k per annum.

But you cannot equate incomes when they pay a few % interest on their loans etc
An aspiring Coddiwompler