Up to the Matroosberg and around

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruno

Puppy
Reaction score
It all started when I a gave my mate Henry John a call on the Thursday to invite him over to Thurday night Poker night to discuss the the weekends riding. After a number of Flex Benders we had decided to mission through Ceres and over Gydo's Pass around the Vleiberg then down to Matroosberg where we'd camp for the night.

We left Somerset West at 7:00, a bit of mist but otherwise everything was going well..

Michell's Pass, where I learnt that braking on a solid white line can be good sports..

After breakfast in Ceres we head for Gydo's Pass on the R303, this stretch reminded me a lot of Barkley Pass in the Eastern Cape.

Gydo's Pass

Right at Op die Berg starting the mission around Vleibeg Mountain about 40 Km later we hit the good stuff, and our bikes where hungry for it, chewing up ever hill and corner like German gluttons at a all-you-can-eat Schweineschulter tent at Oktoberfest. The surface was hard with little drift from the stone on ether side of the road.

Before heading up the semi-tarred road to the top of Katbakkies Pass we found sand from the riverbank, this is when I wish for nobblies.. Got stuck just trying to get to some shade.

After 2 beers at Kagga Kamma Game Reserve we climbed back on our bike ready to defy the heat and dense sand which pulled us earthward.. The rock formations are really something to behold...

Heading down to Ceres after Kagga Kamma we came across one of the best valleys ever...

It was like something out of a Mad Max movie. My new "happy place" when I get restricted by traffic and I can't open her up.
My mate Henry John hit 160 km the fastest he had been on his bike, even on tar.

The reason I needed to drink a lot of beers that day..

Shade!

We did however find a watering hole just outside Ceres, drank a beer and watch the locals play "Smack the Pony" I still don't get the idea or the reference of the name.

We got to Matroosberg reserve to find our campsite had been converted into a race track for the 4x4 club...

This is what happens when you drink Klippies for breakfast...

Well, we can safely say the tortoise won this one.....

Next morning after been reunited with every track Bryan Adams had ever recorded, we woke up early to find no blood-shed, dispute the draw between the Blue Bulls & Cheetahs. After a warm shower we headed towards the bad weather onwards to Touws River passing the Verkeerdevlei Dam...

Puss Pappa!

After breakfast at Steers we headed towards Montagu along the back-road some biker from Montagu had told us about while doing the breakfast thing...
Another stretch of earth laid down just for us bikers, it turned out the bad weather was just right for a biker in full kit..

Another road where you felt like one of those magma cartoons from Drangon Ball z, who had just been power-up and was displacing the earth beneath with a blue flame of pure torque.

Arrived in Montagu had coffee and some Apple Pie at ____ some spot on the way out of Montagu, we recommend you give it a try.

After little debate we decided to go back along Bain's Kloof from the N1 to Somerset West.

After 850 km in two days, we just felt like doing more.......