2 FRIENDS + 2 BIKES + NO LIMITS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3THRO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
My first proper adventure trip with luggage, tents, food the whole shebang. We were gonna do only Baviaans initially a 3 day trip, but ended up doing a lot more… I have to say this though: Andre was the brain behind the whole trip (camera man, tour guide, cook etc.) He has great skill and experience on his Africa Twin, which by the way ticked over 100 000 km’s on our first day. Although I love my KTM to bits this AT never seized to amaze me, what a brilliant machine. So we ended up doing 1947 km’s in total over 6 days.

Day 1: Left Blouberg @ 10:00 and headed for the N1 via Durbanville Hills wine route.  Paarl – Montague uneventfull and we had lunch just outside Montague next to the river. Montague – Calitzdorp where the tar ended finally. Did a great route from Calitzdorp towards the Cango Caves , that winds through a whole lot of farms and valleys and we found a camping site at a B&B called Kruisrivier B&B. Very friendly owner, and excellent facilities.

Day 2: Woke up to fog , rain and horrible wind. So we headed for  the Swartberg pass which included about 10km’s of tar again until the pass started. We went over the Swartberg pass and down to Prince Albert for feul. Had a lekker lunch I Prince Albert and headed back up the pass to enter Die Hell. All I can say is that this is a magnificent ride all the way down to the camping area at Swartberg Nature reserve , I loved it and so did my Katoom…

Day 3: Had a blast back up and over the Swartberg pass again towards Oudtshoorn to look for a CF card for Andre’s camera, because he left his at home…No luck because of the public holiday so we bought OBS and Ostrich biltong instead and headed for Knysna in a kak rain storm.  Did the Adventure route past The Map of Africa towards Sedgefield, another beauty! Rented a caravan at a park in Knysna and kicked back for the night.  Made a wicked stew with OBS , biltong and cheese…

Day 4: Found  the CF card early Saturday morning and headed out straight away as it was gay parade in Knysna. No comment…  From the moment we entered Baviaanskloof I was amazed by the beauty of the place. Did plenty of easy river crossings and had lunch next to the road. All went great till the very last river crossing, this was the “big one” that I was warned against and dreaded all trip. A fellow dawg went first on his GS and got through fine , then Andre’s attempt. All I can say is that he did a very quick save and the AT did not drown. After seeing this I removed my luggage and some gear to do the crossing no problem.  Time then caught us and we had to do the rest of the way in the dark. We eventually found a  B&B called Kudu Kaya at 21:00 and they only had camping space left so we pitched the tents , made a fire to dry everything out and hit the sacks.

Day 5: Pretty much uneventfull, did a nice piece of gravel to Humansdorp and then onto the N2 to Mosselbay where we slept at a Backpackers.

Day 6:  Babbelas after a heavy night in Mosselbay. N2 to Grabauw, Franschoek pass and finally Blouberg.

I can only attach 5 pics. Vaaark! now what?????!!!!!

OK I finally figured out how to do this but theyr all in the wrong order...
wat a mess

Attachments

• D1 Outside Montague.jpg
    D1 Outside Montague.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 383
  • D1 Andre's jol.jpg
    D1 Andre's jol.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 385
  • D1 Kruisrivier B&B.jpg
    D1 Kruisrivier B&B.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 381
  • D1 Ronnie's.jpg