Namibia 2009 Adventure: the Mellow version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
In 2008 we did an epic trip through the Kalahari (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=23724.0) and decided there and then that we had to do a similar trip through Namibia. The two long weekends at the end of April presented us with the perfect opportunity to give it a bash, using the least number of leave days for a 10 day, 5000km trip. We decided to do a 'clockwise' route with via Cape Town, Vioolsdrif (as Sendelingsdrif's pont was closed), Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Walvis, Henties, Windhoek, Koes, Onseepkans, Pofadder and Back to Cape Town.

000Map.jpg

The group was made up of myself(1150GS), Ridealot(Vara), Joyride(Vara), YellowFever(1200GSA), AndSon(650Funduro), Frans(AT) all from Cape Town and  Fred(1200GSA) and Adele (2 month old 1200GS) from Gauteng. Frans’ wife, my wife and my daughter joined us in a backup pickup with a bike trailer. They joined us at Luderitz on Day 3

I did not record the exact distances of each leg of our journey, so the distances are just rough indications of what we did each day. First instalment … (And yes TR, this is my version so it features my bike)

Day 1: Cape Town to Doringbaai (150 km Tar, 150 km Gravel)

It was Friday 24 April 2009 and the bosses conceded that we were not contributing any more …. So we were left to start our Namibian Adventure. By 3pm we congregated at my house and we started out towards Doringbaai along the West Coast. The weather was nice and cool and we were excited about starting on our journey.

About half way, at Velddrif, we saw some showers drifting in from the sea, but we did not ride in the rain. Just after Velddrif we got onto gravel. As we got close to Lambertsbay, we rode through some nice and soggy clay where a shower passed over. On our way we saw various other groups of bikes also on their way to the north. At Doringbaai we stayed over at Christo’s place, thanks Christo and Lonnie for the bean soup!!

Next Morning

001Packing.jpg

Day 2: Doringbaai, Brand-se-baai, Garies, Vioolsdrift (200km Gravel, 200km Tar)

After an early rise and some coffee, we split into two groups. The sane group went via Lutzville to Nuwerus on the N7 and from there to Vioolsdrift along the N7. They met up with Fred and Adele (from Gauteng) at Springbok.

The adventurous group went to Lutzville and then back towards the sea at Skaapvlei, towards Brand-se-baai. From there we went via Kotzesrus to Garies on the N7 and eventually to Vioolsdrift.

002Skaapvlei.jpg

Once we hit the gravel outside Lutzville, it was clear that there was some rain the previous evening. I had a serious tank slapping moment loosing the front end on a damp patch.

005Mud.jpg

Soon thereafter YellowFever had his first dunk of his newly acquired GSA (Go Softly Andrew).

003YFDown.jpg

A little further we crossed a salt pan where AndSon had a more serious off, losing it in the mud with his DS tyres. (https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=31616)

006bikewipeo.jpg

A quick repair of rear brake pedal and we were going again. From the salt pans to Kotzesrus, the road was basically a two track sand track, which really challenged our sand capabilities. Both YF and AndSon had a few put-downs, but nothing serious.

007GSADown.jpg

When we eventully got to Kotzesrus we stumbled onto a church bazaar where we bought pancakes for lunch.

007Koztesrus.jpg

From Kotzesrus the road improved towards Garies, but was muddy in places from the rain. We filled up at Garies and proceeded along the N7 to Vioolsdrif for our overnight camping stop at Aquacade.

008Vioolsdrif.jpg

At the camp site we noticed that I lost a block of tread from my rear tyre. Good thing that we had the backup vehicle meeting us the next day with some spare tyres!

Day 3: Vioolsdrift, Rosh Pinah, Aus, Luderitz (200km Gravel, 200km Tar)

After a quick border crossing we turned West along the C13 following the Orange river.

009C13.jpg

After about 40 kms the group again split into two. One group went North on the C37 towards Ai-Ais, Fish River Canyon and from there onto the C12, B4 towards Aus and Luderitz.

010Group.jpg

AndSon and I kept going along the river towards Sendelingsdrift and Rosh Pinah on the C13, despite the “Road Closed” sign. This is a lovely route through the Ai-Ais Game Park with the river on the one side and the mountains on the other side.

011Rocks.jpg

After filling at Rosh Pinah we went north on the tar C13 to Aus.

013Aus.jpg

At Aus the backup vehicle met up with us and we turned West for the run through the desert into Luderitz.

014Backup.jpg

At Luderitz we stayed at the Obelix Village.

015Obelix.jpg

Some of us had sundowners at Diaz point before supper. The rest went to the yacht club for the same ....

016Diaz.jpg

017Sundowners.jpg

Next days to follow soon ....