Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DIY windscreen for DRZ  (Read 796 times)

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
DIY windscreen for DRZ
« on: May 13, 2009, 08:59:17 pm »
I currently own a DRZ 400 that I use for everyday commuting and the occasional off-road trip.

Well the first thing that you realize when traveling on the open roads is that the wind noise makes a "Naked" bike very, very uncomfortable. I for this reason decided that I had to get a windscreen. I searched the internet and found a few after market screens. I also found that the Dakar windscreen is quite popular as an aftermarket modification on bikes like the DRZ.

Well I decided that looks cool and I want one. I couldn't find one or the ones that I found were way too much for my budget  :-\

I decided I will make it myself  ::).

I bought Perspex sheet from Maizey's (www.maizey.co.za - You can find all the documentation regarding the various product's mechanical and thermal properties). I chose perspex because when you heat the sheet at 150°C for 3-5 min it becomes "plastic" and you can shape it into almost any form (Its like playing with clay  :D). The only disadvantage with perspex is that it can crack and break easily, but its very in-expensive so you can always make a new one.

I did the following:
1. Borrowed a screen from a mate, traced the outline (See picture), Modified a bit to get rid of the "lip" just above the head light.
2. Cut the shape out of the sheet.
3. Heated the sheet in a kitchen oven till it became plastic, took it out and shaped it in the Dakar screen (my mold)
4. Bought some aluminum bar a Builders Warehouse that I then shaped to form the brackets of the screen.(picture)
5. Mounted the top bracket on the Handle bar and the bottom one on the hand guards. (See picture)

6. I also created a little dashboard, where I mounted the 12V socket to the upper bar. I also use this dashboard for my GPS's suction mount (Add a bit of Duck tape to make sure it stays there)

I am currently experimenting with polycarbonate sheet because of its mechanical properties, you can hit it with a hammer and it wont break. The only problem is that it cost twice as much as perspex and it is also not so easy to form it thermally.

PS: I also built a a carrier rack for my luggage (see picture)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:03:26 pm by mtbbiker »
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline GSBoland

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
  • Paarl
Re: DIY windscreen for DRZ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:27:52 pm »
daai skreen lyk of dit van n R1100Gs afkom  :deal:
Black 1100GS

Offline Herms

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Gordon Shumway Karoo Boytjie
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:11 am »
Cool, dit was my plan ook. Ek het gedink om polycarb te gebruik, maar perspex is goedkoper en
ideaal vir my eerste probeer slag.

Thanks, I use the info  :thumleft:
When you pay R6k for riding pants......you are missing the point

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:52:17 am »
Post a close up of both screen and rack,please!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:37 pm »
 ???
Jammer ek het die links na die images bietjie gebreek, dis nou weer reg  :lamer:
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Bernard Draadkar

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:46:26 pm »
Hier is my Dakar se screen vervaardig deur MTBIKER. Kon met die verlengde, tuis vervaardigde tot op 80km sonder Arai TX visor ry. Saam met die 'aerotrim', kan ek nou >120km gaan. Geen wind 'buffeting' met Arai nie!! Wat 'n plesier!