Can you leave it all behind

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Recently posting about which books I am reading now got me to thinking of something which I spend quite a lot of time thinking about.

I've read all the books, seen the DVD's, follow various folks on the web and after 10 beers on a Friday night start working out how much I would get if I sold everything, but usually in the morning I realise that I will probably never set off around the world by motorcycle, as much as I fantasize about it and would love to do it. Extended trips during leave, yes, weekend trips, yes, but to leave the comfort of the life I have now for 5 years or more, probably not.

I've spent time talking to Rene Cormier, Billy Gibson and Trish Cotton (250CC Kawasaki Sherpa no less) who have or are living this dream I have. Billy even told me, there will never be a right time, you will never have enough money, so just decide to go and go. But is it that easy.

I worry about what will I do when I get back, will I have enough money on the trip, how will I know where it is safe and 500 hundred other questions.

So the question is, if you could, would you give up everything to go adventure biking on this kind of scale, or for most of us, is what we do now it. Am I just a scared of the unknown or do I have a reasonable view of things in the 20Th century.