How not to ride in Sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
After having to cancel a ride with a friend, I found myself sitting at home on Saturday afternoon with nothing to do. :idea: lets go practice riding in sand. Just up the N7 is a moto-x and quad track (Zone 7), across the road is a wooded area with lots of sandy tracks, this would be my and the bike' christening ride in the sand. Oh and what a christening it would be!!!
Dropped the tyre presure to 1 bar and set off to see what it's all about......
Here some pics of the area..

Everything was going A-OK, 3rd gear and 4500rpm and me and the bike were one. This ain't so bad. So far most off the riding was in a straight line, now it was the time to try some of the corners and berms on the tracks. 1st berm and this happens... :oops: My first fall with the bike

:lol: :lol: boy did I have a good laugh at myself, going to slowly, not enough throttle and small balls :) So to recover from that went looking for some other tracks to ride and found a nice one that good and firm. Time to get the confidence back..... :twisted:

That track was a bit short, only 500m or so but enough to get cocky again.. :twisted: So it was back to the sand...

Again things were going A-Ok.........and then fall number two :oops: :lol: :lol:

You can see how I lost control by the tracks in the sand

Lessons learned, have loads of confidence, going slowly does not work, keep the power on and don't use front brakes in a corner, look up and JUST DO IT

To my bike...sorry I dropped you twice and with practice you will teach me how to ride.... I love my bike :D :D :lol:

Total...2 hours and 2 falls 30km