Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: gravelroads and history  (Read 3542 times)

Offline stutut

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: gravelroads and history
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 06:41:23 pm »
Hey guys, I've just picked up on your thread and think it's brilliant! I don't want to mess with your thread, but so many aspects mentioned in your discussion reminded me of the myriad interconnections that link our written history ... if the ABW is regarded as a layer, or chapter, in our history, ye gods, we have many, many others that will fill one fat volume. And the amazing thing is how these seemingly separate layers are all so inextraibly copnnected!
For me, the real joy is unearthing stuff that so often provides the missing link, or provides an explanation for an event or decision ...
Figure this one: The FS and Basutholand were niche destinations for a generation of Brits, with a strong Scottish presence. Many of them became traders, and most of them married Dutch (Afrikaans) women who often were inveighed upon to lose their heritage, and assimilate all that's British.
Numbers are hard to asses, but we're estimating at least 100 such unions in the five years leading up to the ABW. Can anyone imagine the kind of pressure, heartbreak and bitterness the ABW would have created? My interest lies in those couples and families who skipped the border into the then Basutoland, and saw out the war from across the Caledon River. Some entrepreneurial types built thriving trading operations, mainly on the back of a booming wool price that in turn fuelled an explosion of sheep farming in southern Africa ...
Such is the depth of our SHORT history, that one can put together any number of ultimate themed trips.

The journey IS the destination

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:53 pm »
A bit off the topic but what the heck. The next time you guys go through Fraserburg and have an hour or two to spare go to the Museum and ask them them to show you the dinosaur footprints on a farm a short way out of town. Well worth the effort.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline Dusty Rusty

• Sparkle
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • SSS!
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »
oe, it's a little bit late but a excellent idea!
Never underestimate the power of kindness!

http://doutrapper.wordpress.com/