Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: gravelroads and history  (Read 3488 times)

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
gravelroads and history
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:41:19 pm »
just an idea and rather just testing to see wether anyone else thinks the effort is worth its salt...

my interest become alerted:

sharkza thread regarding the vow of blood river

plotti and his jameson raid boys

request from kilroy and ideas from gunda gunda etc...

why dont we do research around a bike ride plan and try to entail the history into the ride..

or vice versa,,,

start a research thread around some battle or siege wether from the anglo-boer or other war ...

i have some books around lotsa history (not that im a buff but thats exactly my point,,,you will be when you read about it)

but frinstance,,,,

did you know the jameson raid was a huge disaster and actually lasted 3 days over new years eve,,,but somehow it had an impact on sa history,,,imagine following they tracks

did you know that a war was started when the british stopped a boer in his cart on the way to bronkhorstspruit,,,they demanded  tax money and when he didnt comply they took his horse,,,so the boer went to the nearby farmers,,,made a posse and got his horse back,farking up a few british in the process,,thus starting the second anglo boere war

from a pta point of view the march to pta by the british was done by sneaking between the two boere forts somewhere between sesmyl spruit and irene and thus walking straight into pta and church square and just dropped the vierkleur and replaced with the union jack,,,no resistance

did you know that from all the boers that volunteered for the war effort actually didnt go, but according to their wives and children they were there,,,meanwhile the okes were having a lekka hunting jol,,,,some boere refused to work with their generals and just parked at the military camp,,,some sent their black folk,,,,but thank goodness there were a lot of bittereinders that fought through the whole war

do you know where names like broederstroom,marabastad and robertsheights came from

from natal we obviously have huge history around rourkesdrift, spioenkop, majuba, etc

the history around cape town must be great,,,and then there are vrystaat, northern cape, nort west, etc

on google earth they actually show you the coordinates of the battles,,,,so we know where to go ,,,lets just fill up on history and then make trip around it

am i the only one interested,,,be frank and honest in your criticism or motivation to go ahead

tell me im wasting my time???? or support me???

this by the way isnt just my effort,,,i expect all the wd's to contribute,,,the particular site/heading/topic isnt neccesary a chat site,,,it contains basic info contributed by all,,all with a biker riders point of view

IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: gravelroads and history
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:48:17 am »
I like the idea.

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:08:03 am »
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:42 am »
Next time you wander through Magaliesburg you should stop at the museum at Out of Africa. They have a lot of Boer war stuff, bushman paintings and all sorts of other things. The curator is very knowledgable (Robin Walton) and for the price of a castle lager dumpie will point you in the direction of various other historical sites in the area. Including the Jameson raid route. The raiders grouped at Mr Boon's store (now the hamlet of Boons) and took the road to Tarlton (locally know as the Jameson road), they eventually got their asses kicked and surrendered and a place between Leratong hospital and Doornkop mine shaft where there is a monument.

Anyway, its a good place to start for a historical ride.

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:40 am »
you seee...you seee

thanx db9,,,thats exactly the kinda info i wanna share,,,cool

do you have an email address of robin walton....

if you do the wikepedia or google thing you get only facts,,,i want to know that seeing the raided over new years eve,,,were they pissed,,,where did they stop for beers or did they have a gg that made them cuppaciones along the way,,,,were the orange horses in the front or were the ou toppies with the AT's at the back eating dust,,,where did they stop and at what garage did they get together,,,

what kinda guy was jameson,,,did he stop a lot for smoke breaks and for the slower horses to catch up,,,was it a flat out race and did everybody ride together,,,what map did they use,,,they were supposed to cut the telephone lines but didn't ,,,were some walking and did they have breakfast, lunch and a braai in the evening,,,did they stop to skiet a bokkie or did they pull in at the shabeens coming all the way from botswana,,,or was jameson like blazes,,,stop for water only,,,hahaha

what was the weather like,,,did they battle through sand and was it muddy,,,what mountains did they cross or did they come over breedsnek,,did they come storming through the veld,,,and what about fences,,,did they close the gates ,,,did they travel under darkness or daytime,,,

what if a horse got a puncture(hoof sore),,,did they steal another one or did someone else come from behind with spares,,,did they attack people along the way and did they do excessive speeds,,,what about the slower horses,,,did they ride together in clicks,,,did the dark horses ride ahead and the small ponies avoid the mountain climbs and river crossings.....

so many questions????
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »
Its best to visit the Museum or the closest pub to find Robin. He's easilly recognisable by the long white beard and farked up bush hat. Email he doesn't do. But if we get a few dogs together who are interested I'll have a chat to him and we can put together a trippie.

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:43:57 pm »
please do,,,,beers are on me,,,,

just been out to a book store,,thers some damm good books there,,,

but exspensive

theres a lekker afrikaans(die anglo boere oorlog) one written by a pakendorf somebody ,,,

and then an english one(anglo boer wars) written by arthur conan doyle (creator of sherlock holmes)

the one i want is "op komando,,,die lewe in die veld tydens die anglo-boere oorlog"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:07:20 pm by malgat »
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:47:22 pm »
You must read 'Adrift on the open Veldt' by Deneys Reitz as well.

By the way I saw yours and Leon's inscription on the wall in "Cops and Robbers'!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:03:24 pm by DeepBass9 »

Online onderbroek

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:44:31 pm »
my granddad was a big follower of the boerwars, hes got a copy of thomas pakenhams book " the anglo Boer war" i think, as well as some other books, he also has the signed document of where his father had to sign before being deported by the english, i will see if i can get my hands on them.

btw my granddad stayed on a farm where both houses on the farm where national monuments because of their age exc.
The english had a fort on the farm where numerous peole wnet to go dig up stuff, the train bridge on the farm is also from that ers, and u can still see the rocks that the english put there to provide protection for their canons exc, the farm is in Heilbron Free state called leeuwpoort

hak vrystaat

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »
Great Idea, My dad took us when we were little "jokkertjies" on bike trips (We could choose the destination) I chose to go to Pilgrims Rest (We stayed in Ermelo - then Eastern Transvaal) This was one of the great moments of my live as I can remember a lot of detail of this trip because my dad is like a walking encyclopedia and we stopped at every monument so could he could told me the History.
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:04:20 am »
You guys must just say when you want to do it? Pretty much any Sunday would be good. We can have a look at the museum, and then go to some sites nearby. Paul Kruger's sulphur spring is right behind magaliesburg, and there are various other easily accessible places.

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:55:34 pm »
I'll take you up on that offer. I am just not available in the next 2 weeks, but when I am back we should organize something. :thumleft:
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline malgat (RIP)

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:14:33 am »
im in as well,,,,,so lets pull in some more wd;s and make a afternoon of it,,,

mtbbiker....pm me if and when u ready

db9,,,can we get a subject of the day or do you think we just go carte blanche with the historian,,,,

if we can get a day topic i could do some research and brief everybody before by starting a thread,,,this way it wil add to the discussion and wet your appetite

i suppose a sleep over is too much,,

gg and kilroy,,,u're in???? who else???
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Offline Frog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:37:54 am »
I'd be interested to join depending on dates.
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:58 am »
hes got a copy of thomas pakenhams book " the anglo Boer war"

I'm currently busy reading the book.............the Afrikaans translated version.

Offline mr r

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
hi dogs ,have a look at the book "FRONTIERS" british boer xhosa history  in eastern cape and its influence to SAhistory,not sure who the author is brilliant read

Offline Brink

• Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:01:48 pm »
I see Trailrider has replied - he is already doing a lot of this on his RR's - very informative and ads spice to the read :thumleft:
If I am not mistaken he is a bit of a buff on the subject.

I have lots of info on the Bakerville area wrt historical diamond mining and it would be a good/cool if we could also revive the idea of the geological run and incorporate (if possible) into the whole idea :mwink:

BACK 2 SCHOOL is cool :deal:
Life Happens,,,,,

shark_za

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »
A visit to the battle sites of the magalies mountains could also be interesting.
I know someone who is quite knowledgeable.

forts and blockhouses etc.

Offline chalsam

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 09:28:08 pm »
I'm in ... love our history.
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline DeepBass9

• www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 09:23:46 am »
I'm around for the next two weekends. If we can settle on a date, I will arrange with Robin, he knows lots of people if we need to get permission for going onto private land to look at some places.